good fats to aid weightloss

deb60

I was diagnosed with type 2 about 3 weeks ago and have spent many hours on this site and have decided to go low carb, moderate protein and high (ish) fat. Various doctors on YouTube recommend that you get most of your calories from fat. As I have been indoctrinated with the fat is bad theory all my life I am struggling with the idea of choosing to eat fat. Can anyone tell me in what form they consume fat? I have about 5 stones in weight to lose so I really need to get started seriously now.
Thanks in advance for any advice. Deb

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Hi Deb60,

A friends husband had a book called 'eat fat, get thin'. This was some years ago mind. Anyway, I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see what comes up. I am finding it very hard to give up too many carbs, and by cutting down on carbs and fat I lost weight, so I am interested to see what comes your way.

Lee

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, i just read the article and this bit

High-fat cuts of meat (beef, lamb, pork)
Chicken with the skin
Whole-fat dairy products (milk and cream)
Butter
Cheese
Ice cream
Palm and coconut oil
Lard

these are some of the bad fats, well i am low carning and eat lots of meat, cream, butter and cheese, this is not good news :(

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Deb, dont believe everything you see on Youtube or indeed believe everything you read on the internet.

The one fact that you should focus on is that fat has over twice the calories that carbs and protein have and if you want to lose weight you will have to reduce the calories you eat. The only other thing that runs a close second to fat is alcohol.

Calories per gram of:
Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories
Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories
Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories
Alcohol: 1 gram = 7 calories

If you want to lose weight reduce the fat and alcohol in your diet.

I have lost over 5 stones over the last 5 years and have found that as my weight reduced so did my insulin resistance so the need to reduce carbs was reduced along with the weight loss this seems to me to be the ideal way to diet and control bg levels at the same time and would not have happened if I had eaten more fat as more fat = more calories. I started out eating around 60g carbs but have no idea how many carbs I eat today as I simply dont count them any longer but its probably between 120 and 220 a day but thats purely a best guess.

So I started off low(ish) carb but as my weight reduced my carb consumption has increased so my weight loss has slowed down naturally as my weight has stabilised at a weight I am happy with and I now eat a fairly normal diet and dont have to think about my bg levels all the time either.

You can vlchf if you want to and as long as you are getting enough vitamins and minerals in your diet you should come to no harm but do you want to eat that way for the rest of your life? I dont know, maybe you do, but there are alternatives and the one outlined above has worked brilliantly for me and many others, so dont believe that vlchf is the only way because it isnt.

In my opinion and it is only my opinion but if you increase the fat in your diet all you do is slow down any possible weight loss and surely no one trying to lose weight wants to do that do they?

As I said at the beginning dont believe everything you see and read on the internet :D

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Hi Sid, it's hard though as the Internet is often our primary source of information as visits to the GP for our allotted 5 nanoseconds is insufficient for us to learn what we have to know and understand for this condition. I verse up on a topic, tell my GP what path, therefore, I'm going to take and she drives a bus through the theories learned on the web and vice versa. Many of the American posts on YouTube are commercially funded so commercially biased, there will always be two opinions but better we have that than nothing at all. Love reading your stuff, well done Q..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2guns1687

This is a good way to eat, i am currently following this way of eating a ketogenic diet it puts my body into ketosis to burn fat for fuel not carbs, so it is high fat moderate protein and very little carbs 50g or less i feel alot better and my blood glucose levels are near perfect

2guns1687

Andy12345 said:
hi, i just read the article and this bit

High-fat cuts of meat (beef, lamb, pork)
Chicken with the skin
Whole-fat dairy products (milk and cream)
Butter
Cheese
Ice cream
Palm and coconut oil
Lard

these are some of the bad fats, well i am low carning and eat lots of meat, cream, butter and cheese, this is not good news :(
Milk is high carbs so cut that out if you are low carbing

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You don't necessarily have to go mental on the fats to low carb. What I do is just replace the carb part of my meal with loads of veg. E.g. breakfast at the mo is low fat yoghurt with berries and mixed seeds; lunch is salad (with skinless chicken breast, or tuna etc) or soup or low carb bread sandwiches; dinner is what I would normally have, minus the carbs and with extra veg. If you replace carbs with veg, that's got to be good for you, right?

As Sid said, there is a lot of conflicting info out there on the internet and I sit on the fence with a lot of the contrasting, but credible opinions. My opinion is that it's better to be safe than sorry and not take the mick with the amount of fats you eat, although it's inevitable that you will consume more fats if you low carb.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
One thing that puzzles me is...

If we low carb and carbs give us energy... How do we replace the energy giving carbs then?

Surely we must need to carbs to live !!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Because you can use dietary fats for energy too. Think of a fry up - that satisfies hunger and gives you energy, despite having small amounts of carbs in.

I find that I still need insulin despite eating small amounts of carbs, which means that my body is producing glucose. It does this via gluconeogenesis in the liver, by using amino acids (which are found in proteins), fatty acids and few other compounds.

JennaEs

I am on low carb diet, it's been 3 weeks only so far but my blood sugar is much much better and I feel better. I am going to follow the life style which you can read about in Diane Kress' book "Diabetes Miracle" or/and "Metabolism Miracle". This diet is low carb but it is safe and it... works!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You'll get your carbs from veg