Perfect Low Carb Bread Recipe!!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get it from a Holland and Barret shop, both are quite cheap. I imagine they do them online too.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I tested before I had 1 slice with butter, I was 6.7, now about 1 hour 20mins later I'm 7.2, I'd say thats pretty good!!! Will do a proper 2 hour test another time, but for now I'm really enjoying this bread.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I've now got myself some sundried tomatos and I'm going to try a sundried tomato and herb version. I'm all stocked up on soya flour and linseeds, just need to find a local shop selling wheat gluten, I begrudge paying to much carriage!

I'm off to Derbyshire for a few days soon with friends so I think I'll make some extra bread for that week as my friends will prob want to try it. Also I can do sandwiches for packed lunches instead of having to mess about with salads! :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I make a similar bread sometimes .I try not to eat too much of it. I don't do sandwiches though. Where do you get your gluten?
I usually go to low cab megastore on-line. I like the idea of mixed seeds. I've been using just ground flax seeds.
Hana

NorthernPam

Hi Sam,
Looks interesting thank you. My bread maker has been put away in the back of a cupboard since March but with something like this could soon be in use again.
Pam

lynde89

How much does your bread rise? I have made it a couple times & it has risen to about 3 inches (that sounds terrible!). Just wanted to make sure everyone else's seemed the same & I'm not doing something wrong, or not putting in enough muscle!

I added cheese to the batch I made last night, yum!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad you like it so much Lenny!

Lynde, I've not made it for months as work now give me a free canteen meal at lunchtime. From what I remember it rises to more than three inches, but maybe to only about 4 or 5. Maybe someone who has made it more recently can help out. Do you make it in a breadmaker? The main thing is that it has bread texture and a similar taste.

I'll have a go at adding some cheese and herbs next time, sound nice!

VickiT11979

Mine really didn't rise much at all - was very dense in the middle & kind of "wet". I did use a different type of wheat gluten though (got it from low carb megastore & it's 7.7g carb per 100g) & reduced the flaxseeds in my 2nd attempt as I didn't like the very strong flaxseed taste. I used about 1/3 of a cup & filled up to a full cup with almond flour.
The loaf tasted great, but I've tried quite a few recipes & they never seem to rise for me. I'm using a panasonic breadmaker which is great for normal bread.
May try the Vital Wheat Gluten next, just am afraid of spending all that money for another shrunken loaf :(

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hmm, that's a shame. I put my breadmaker on the wholemeal setting as it kneeds it longer and let's it rise longer. Be careful not to add too much wheat gluten as it makes it rubbery.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well I tried the sun dried tomato and basil loaf, and next time will need to add more as they did little to the flavour. Its hard to know how much to put in without it being too much! Also today I made a half loaf (only had a small amount of wheat gluten left) in this one I put cinnamon and raisins. Again will prob need more next time but very nice! Yum.

Might try the cinnamon and raisin with some dried apple next time. Must order some wheat gluten from somewhere.

lynde89

Hi mch1966!

I just threw all the ingredients into a bowl (I mixed the yeast with the hot water then added that part at the end), mixed it all up & kneaded it for a couple minutes, let it sit for a bit then put it in the oven!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Lovely bread, thanks SamJB

TMG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Chocolate
Hello to one and all,

Could you reprint the recipe, as I have scrolled all through, because there was such a lot of positive feed back and it's not there :(

Thank you

PS

Have just been told my ave down to 6.4 and my BP has returned to normal and have lost weight. Only need 1 metformin 500 per day. and no need to Jab all the time (unless long drive time or feel unwell) Result!! :clap:

Reactions: 4 people

VickiT11979

Thanks for the tip Sam, (sorry this reply is so late) - I did put it on the quick white loaf setting so that may have been my mistake.
Feeling quite excited about trying it again now!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As I said, I'm not 100% sure - I'm no expert in baking and haven't made this in a while. Hope it works out for you this time!

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
The last couple of loaves i've made I put them on the speciality setting and that seems to let it rise abit more. Also I always put the water in first, warm water, and the yeast in last.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Does anyone have any recommendations of bread slicing guides? I struggle to get even slices and some of the ones on line look a bit rubbish.

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm coeliac as well - so can't eat wheat, barley, rye - I wonder if I could substitute gluten-free flour.