foot tattoo

Hevab

i already have two on y wrist ne done when classed as borderline and one done just after havng my baby were i was classed with gestatisinal diabetic this was only three years ago so im guess i was still diabetic then. my levels are good as far as im aware but i am due my check up wed. i am not on any meds at all so whats the real risks of having my foot done? both wrist ones heeled fine and i havent noticed slow healing on legs r feet when i have had cuts or sores. has anyone had there foot done after being classed diabetic, i have type two now.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Its impossible for anyone to tell you that it will be fine without knowing your full medical history, so the only answer is to ask at your check up on Wednesday and whoever is doing it will have a better idea of the risks to you as an individual depending on your particular circumstances.

Good luck :thumbup:

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a tattoo on my foot just under a year ago. I have had 3 others since. I was only diagnosed on the 10th june this year. Looking back, mu foot tattoo took the longest to heal of all of them (and one is a full size rib piece) and it developed huge thick scabs which none of the other three. Having said that, the foot tattoo was done by a different artist.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Go for it! I've had mine done since being diabetic and never had a problem with healing, they just heal normally. I too want one on my foot but heard its painful!

StephenM

I would only have it done if both your sensation and circulation is 100%. The latter is checked with a Doppler test. With diabetes any minor injury in the area can become badly infected very quickly indeed. I had this happen with an ingrowing toenail and had to have weeks of antibiotics and dressings. Some of you will have seen that I am hitting the "diabetic gold" next year so obviously I am a long term diabetic. However I know someone who had had Type II for about four years need a BKA as a result of an infection! Ideally of you go ahead your HbA1c should be 7.0 or under.

Elc1112

I have a small tattoo on my foot. It hurts! But I had absolutely no problems whatsoever with the healing. If your hba1c is good and you look after it then it should be fine. Brace yourself for the pain though! ;)

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
I have tattoos covering most of my back and they are not finished yet i have had them all with diabetes and they have all healed fine also we can handle the pain whats another needle eh?

glaves_r1991

I had all my 11 tattoo's done after I was diagnosed type 1 it will hurt but with tat pain everyone is different a place will b extremely painful for one and tickle for another the only thing you have to worry about is diabetics tend to bleed a lot more when the tat is first done my only suggestion would be to clean it ASAP and apply bepanthen every couple of hour for the first week then twice-three times a day until completely healed

skonk

You should be fine. As long as you go to a reputable artist, first off. The main thing you need to make sure you concentrate on is the aftercare. Ignore those people telling you that savlon or other things are great, Savlon contains a scabbing agent, which is bad for your tattoos. As someone above mentioned, Bepanthum is the best thing to use. You only need a small amount onto the tattoo, three times a day. Keep it clean at all times. With it being on your foot, the blood flow is slower, as it's further from the heart. I have a calf sleeve, and it was started before I was diabetic (type 2 ) then when I added more, after being diagnosed, it got infected. It's all good now, but this was a massive piece I had done, whereas yours is only small, and should be fine if you look after it.

Any tattoo can get infected, or take a while to heal, regardless if you're diabetic or not. It's all down to the way you look after it once it's done. Whenever I got red ink on my skin, it got infected and reacted to it. Now my diabetes is under control, I have no problem with red ink. My thigh length Spider-man tattoo can couch for that!