Check Those Diet Drinks!

StephenM

Not sure this is the right sub-forum so feel free to move it. With the coming of the warmer weather I tend to consume more cold drinks. This is never a problem when at home but can be so when out and about. The choice for diabetics is often limited to coke or water! I have only ever been in one pub (forgotten the name) which had a range of diet drinks – it turned out one of the licensees was diabetic. The prices charged for bottled or canned versions are often OTT compared to the draught versions. However I have had some scary highs when I have been served the non-diet version. These days I carry some DiaStix (test for urine glucose) to check. It should be impossible to dispense the wrong drink but many staff these days seem disinterested or otherwise occupied. Sometimes I think it is deliberate with the person not realising it is for health reasons and not just calorie counting! The burger chains are the worst offenders although I only use then a few times a year and chuck the rubbish long life bun!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many people have mentioned this before - but personally I just don't get it! Before I was diagnosed I NEVER drank coke, it was always diet. I hate the taste of full coke, it coats your teeth and I just find it yuck. When ordering a drink I always take a small sip first. I know instantly if its not diet coke and request a change. They often don't believe me but I stand my ground and get the change.

HOW they make the "mistake" I don't know! I once got rum and coke instead of vodka diet coke a few years ago. I had to argue to get it changed. It wasnt like I'd knocked it back and the demanded another. I'd barely touched it!

If in doubt always go for cans or bottles, but like you say the price goes up considerably. I guess in lucky I can tell the difference :)

A

Anonymous

hale710 said:
Many people have mentioned this before - but personally I just don't get it! Before I was diagnosed I NEVER drank coke, it was always diet. I hate the taste of full coke, it coats your teeth and I just find it yuck. When ordering a drink I always take a small sip first. I know instantly if its not diet coke and request a change. They often don't believe me but I stand my ground and get the change.

HOW they make the "mistake" I don't know! I once got rum and coke instead of vodka diet coke a few years ago. I had to argue to get it changed. It wasnt like I'd knocked it back and the demanded another. I'd barely touched it!

If in doubt always go for cans or bottles, but like you say the price goes up considerably. I guess in lucky I can tell the difference :)

I only drink soda water now, with slices of fresh lime and/or orange. Nothing better than the smell and taste of freshly squeezed lime. Pubs always assume that I want that **** bottled lime cordial. If there's no fresh fruit, I drink the soda neat! :p By the way, I have not touched J2O for years. I seem to remember that ingredients, sugar levels etc. were not stated on the bottles. Has that changed now?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not had J2O since I was a kid..... I would imagine its full of sugar though!

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
J20's arefull of sugar, as I dont drink much i tend to have j20 as I dont like dietcoke dispensed it tastes funny lol so usually have s few bottles then have some insulin

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

gemma486

J20 are so sugar filled before I was diabetic I used to drink them on a night out and I would always have headache the morning after I do still have them every now and again with meals though

karenmc2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Ignorant and rude people
Hi I have been addicted to coke and now diet coke I have tried just drinking
Water but my mouth was always dry it is a bit now I might try to give up again
I can't seem to get my weight down I am type2 metformin,victoza and disabled througha fall at work
I have nerve damage in my left knee but my weight is nearly 20st more willpower I think
Karenmc2

hotlips

Ive drank fizzy pop since being very young as don't like tea coffee or milk now all ive been told to drink is anything with a zero including fanta as well ad coke and pepsi all zero as long as it does the trick im fine with it just can't get my weight down and I eat very healthy and I do exercise 2 to 4 timrs s day I take my dog out for long walks I do my exercise in doors then I bike ride for a few hours then bsck home done yhis fo months now an still not lost wieght
I'm 15 stone and 5" 5 in height I font fi k or smoke

hotlips

Ive drank fizzy pop since being very young as don't like tea coffee or milk now all ive been told to drink is anything with a zero including fanta as well ad coke and pepsi all zero as long as it does the trick im fine with it just can't get my weight down and I eat very healthy and I do exercise 2 to 4 timrs s day I take my dog out for long walks I do my exercise in doors then I bike ride for a few hours then bsck home done yhis fo months now an still not lost wieght
I'm 15 stone and 5" 5 in height I dont drink booze of any type and I dont smpke at all any series tips on jow to loose 5 stone please x

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
Hello Hotlips. The zero drinks and the exercise are all good, but the key is in what you eat. I lost a lot of weight by adjusting my diet without taking any exercise. At the time I didn't know I was diabetic, so I went for no sweet stuff, low fat and smaller portions, which worked very well. As you're diabetic, it will need to be low carb now. I'm on low carb and high-ish fat, so I've been able to stop the meds, keep the weight off and stay at non-diabetic BG levels. And the food is great!

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
It's not only diet drinks you should watch its sugar free sweets. I foolishly thought these would be ok and ate half a packet of sugar free fruit gums. When I next tested my BS was in the high teens and it normally very rarely goes above 9 !!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App