injections at work

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
I usually inject at my desk, providing it's not too busy, as my colleagues are aware I have diabetes and are supportive.
Someone (a visitor) suggested that I go to the toilet to inject myself. I told them what a stupid idea I thought that was as it would be the least hygienic place I would have thought of. If it is busy, I'll use the first aid room.
Has anyone else found people who have taken exception to them injecting at work or in public?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No never. As you say there can be no dirtier place to inject insulin than a toilet, just carry on as you are and ignore what they have to say, if they are offended in some way they can always look away when you inject :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No everyone is very understanding. If I'm with new people I tend to check no one has a fear of needles first just so there's no fainting going on! Other than that I just crack on and don't make a fuss

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Thanks for your replies, guys.

BobCornelius

I work in operating theatres, so nobody bats an eyelid about me injecting! I have not come across a problem out and about either, I have tested and injected in restaurants and shops!

:)

Bob

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
I tested and injected on the train the other day, through necessity. Got a few odd looks, but so what!?!?

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
And, Diddly, that's exactly the way it should be as well!

Spot on.

Mart

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I just get on with mine .
Do them wherever I may be and do them 'when' I 'must' too :thumbup:
Even my husband is the same get on with it - now - he used to be more
sensitive as to 'if' I was offending anyone by doing them .

It's something you must do in your life and never do it in a loo or toilet .
I used to actually do this when first started out as newly insulin dependent 'till' a clinic sister stopped me !!!!
I didnt realise or know the hidden risks of doing this .
Bless her - she pulled me and my mother into her room and explained EVERYTHING
to us both.
Needless to say - I learnt 'quick' ...

No-one has ever bothered me .
May get some curious looks but I just do them anyways!

Anna.

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos
People who do not have diabetes can be ignorant to the fact that an injection of insulin, like an injection of anything should be done in a socially clean place and injecting in a toilet is not hygenic. I am on a pump now but for years I injected insulin and if I got attitude from anyone whilst injecting, I would sarcastically tell them " It keeps me alive". Yeah that would shut them up!! :D

John7956

I do it wherever. If someone is watching and wants to know what I am doing, I will do some diabetes education with them. If they don't want to know what I am doing and they are just nosy, I will make sure they realise I know they are watching me.

There is nothing I can do about having diabetes so why should I do any different. If it was someone having an allergic reaction, people wouldn't bat an eyelid at them using an EpiPen (thery would however hopefully offer help as appropriate). I think the problem comes because with insulin, on the most part you can see the needle with an EpiPen you can't.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I work in a cafe so I have to inject in the toilet (I don't hide in a cubicle though!). If i'm at college or out and about shopping or whatever, i don't care who sees me inject, i just have the argument "you wouldn't tell a breastfeeding mother to stop feeding her child, babies need food to survive, I need insulin injections to survive".

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
I'm probably going to get shot down for this one but at work I go to the loo to inject. Yes "it's full of germs" I hear you cry BUT I know for a fact that the toilets are cleaned every day and my office is cleaned once or twice a year :eh:

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
No never (and they'd get the sharp end of my tongue if they did) but when I had to test and do a finger prick before a meeting at work, my manager started flapping about like a little girl saying 'ooh I can't bear to look, I'll have to turn around' and making a right royal fuss about it. So just look the other way then! No need to 'turn around' or make a big fuss about it! Our eyes can swivel across quite a wide range of our visual field you know!

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
To be fair I have my injections at the same times each day and people hear tablets popping first and my testing machine beep. They all know the sequence. No one has said anything about being horrified. I thing they'd more concerned with what would happen if I DIDN'T inject. They it's not nice for me but I have to do it. The first aid room is on the opposite side of the building and I can do it in 2 seconds, job done.

qbix

I test and inject everywhere and anywhere. My work have been awesome so can't complain. I always ask people before I inject if they haven't seen me do it before just out of politeness. The last time I asked the person actually looked offended that I had. I don't make a big deal out of it. I have two kids and I inject in front of them to try and make everything as normal as possible.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Muir

I just do it where im at and when needed also. If anyone bats an eyelash just go "heeeey, want some of this??" :lol:

Muir

LemonTree said:
I'm probably going to get shot down for this one but at work I go to the loo to inject. Yes "it's full of germs" I hear you cry BUT I know for a fact that the toilets are cleaned every day and my office is cleaned once or twice a year :eh:

Lets be fair also. Its only a risk if you put your stuff on the toiletboard/sink and dont wash your hands before testing or injecting. Common sense gets you a long way in general.