Newly Diagnosed Type 2

saloplass

Hi,

I was also newly diagnosed Type 2 - about 4.5 months ago.
I was also told I did not need any medication - diet alone.
The DESMOND education day I went to, well that was brilliant.
I was also told NOT to monitor my glucose level!
I was forgotten about when it came to the retinopathy exam. I queried this, and was given a phone number to ring to make an appointment. I did this - I was fit in filling a cancellation.
At this appointment I was told I had damage at the back of one eye - and that I must have had diabetes for at the very least five years - and that I need to monitor my glucose levels daily!

Questions you may have bring up with your DESMOND tutors, I hope they are as brilliant as mine were.
And there is Diabetes UK of course, they are splendid. I am so very cross with my surgery who for ten years have missed warning signs, not done HbA1c tests, despite my mother going blind with diabetes and her whole family being involved with this disease, and the females on my father's side passing because of the same disease.

We need more education - pre diabetes does not seem to be recognised - at my surgery at least - for what it is. :evil:

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mark,

62 is high enough to cause long-term complications if not sorted. You want to get your HbA1c down below 48 and, preferably 40 if you can. Not all fruit is bad for us T2s. Berries are good, the digestible carbs are quite low. Have a handful of nuts with your fruit for protein and unsaturated fats, but watch out, nuts are calorie dense.

If I had had the chance to see a dietician, I would have taken it and I suggest you take your GP up on it. They may feed you the NHS healthy balanced diet, but they may have other ideas.

To lose the weight, try to have a 500 calorie deficit. The best way is to try to increase your activity by about 250 calories and keep your 250 calories below what you need.

HTH

Ellis

I was diagnosed last June (2012) with type 2 I was not given a meter as I was told that there was very little point In Knowing my BG level as I could do little to change them as I am only on metformine and diet, when you go for the regular checks that we diabetics need they do a special kind of blood test which calculates the average level for the previous several months. I will say that diet and exercise are as important as medication I lost half a stone and have a much healthier diet now.

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Thank you for your replys, I am grateful for all advice. I ditched the crisps and today i went and bought some eggs and one of my favorite fruits cherrys I love these but I am wary of eating a lot of them so I kind of eat a handful at a time. I have also changed my bread from the warburtons farmhouse load to a bread that is supposed to be more healthy 'Burgen' the soya and linseed version. Its actually not as bad as it looks LOL.

I have also cut out snacking before I go to sleep which is one of the only quiet times I get during the day, coupled with smaller portions. I will be taking up the offer of the dietician and my daily exercise has increased. With this heat at the moment it dosent take long to get a sweat on :p

thanks again for taking time to help me.

Mark

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At a GI of 22, cherries are low GI - much better than the 43-53 of grapes.

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Thanks again folks for the replies, An eye exam wasn't mentioned to me by the doctor but I am seeing the DN this Wednesday so I will start a new list of questions and this is the first.

I really don't know what I am doing diet wise but for now I am trying to replace the bad foods with better ones, a referral to a dietician was mentioned by the doc. So when I go to see my DN on Wednesday I will mention this to her and see if I can get a cancellation appointment. Also has anyone tried a diet like the TESCO diet or Weight watchers?

I was told I was going to get referred to DESMOND but I don't know how long that will take Everything seams on overload at the moment and its a lot to take in, i finally went to bed after glancing at the clock and seeing it was 2.30 in the morning.

Mark