Insulin to Carb Ratio

QasimH

Hi,

Just wanted to hear about what insulin to carb ratio people are currently on, when I was first diagnosed I was on 1:10 but after experiencing severe hypos, a combination of exercise and being careful of the carbs I am eating I am currently on 1:20 is this a little low as my average reading is 8-9mmol.

Peace.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
8-9 avg is maybe a little high. You may want to increase your carb/insulin ration slightly. I am on a fairly low dose, I take 1 unit for 15g. My evening meal is 1 unit to 10g.
I am obviously not medically trained so you should discuss this first with your diabetic nurse/doc.
Good luck.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I am 1-10 for breakfast and lunch and 1-17 at supper

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
When I was on insulin my DSN told me 2u to every 10g of carb.

Swankypants77

Hi. Mine was 1:10 when first diagnosed just over a month ago, and now 1:20 just like you.
Sometimes my peak is one hour after eating and reach high 8 and then comes back down to between 5 and 6.

Sometimes my peak( level 8-9 )comes two to three hours after eating and yet come back down soon.

Does that mean I need to increase bolus? Or can I leave it as it is?
I thought my level has been quite steady, so I've been quite happy...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im on 0.5 unit per 8g

Mo I guess that's similar to your 1u per 15g!

sue cope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Gosh - you lot are lucky, I take 1 unit of Novorapid per 2 grams of carbs (e'g' for 40 grams of carbs I take 20 units of Insulin), and am supposed to take that plus about 10% from my Diabetes professional........although some Diabetes professionals say that is too much!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
1:16 breakfast
1:16 lunch
1:10 tea
1:10 supper
If I snack between meals using the same ratios but take off 1 unit to allow for two lots of bolus.

Used to need alot more am but now pumping and got the hourly basal rates sorted to cover the dawn phenomenon.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don't use insulin, have gone onto byetta but out of curiousity how do you these ratios? I only ever did what my DSN told me to use.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sarah, once the basal tests are done where you know you can stay in range if missing a meal you can concentrate on carb ratios for each meal. This must be done first so you know the basal is not affecting the meal bolus. They may be different at various times through the day so done by trial and error. Start with breakfast and try say 1 unit per 10 carbs. If too much qa insulin next day for breakfast try 1:12, if too little try 1:8 and so on. Do by testing/adjusting you learn the correct ratios for you.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

QasimH

Hi all thank you for sharing the info with me, I will keep a closer eye on my carb intake and see if I need to adjust it depending on what I eat and when I eat. Once again thank you for responding :--). Peace.

John7956

(Units:carb portions (10g carb))
Breakfast - 1.25:1
Lunch - 1:1
Dinner - 1.5:1
Supper (and through night) - 0.5:1

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dave howard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling great and getting Inexplicable high and low blood sugar readings !
I am 1:0.33 or 3 units of insulin for every 10gr of carbs.....i use a lot of insulin if i ever eat a proper meal :?