Test Strip Disposal

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was in Belgium this week and looking at hazardous waste disposal amongst other things. The law there for companies says that you can dispose of small quantities of medical and sanitary waste that is low risk for infection - i.e. no free infectious fluids, all absorbed or dried etc in with standard household type rubbish. That set me thinking about what I do.

To my mind test strips, once dried are negligible risk from an infection and sharps point of view. I've been putting mine in with my sharps for disposal but I'm not sure if I need to?

Cheers

Dave

jude67

Engineer88 said:
I never have, they always go in houshold waste.

I have a sharps disposal yellow box, given to me by my surgery, and when its full they dispose of it for me, i wouldnt put anything like tht in the ordinary rubbish,

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Personal choice really. How far do you take it ? If you blow your nose or discard a band-aid, is that considered a biological hazard ? For me, it's just the sharps that are a hazard really and need careful disposal. Saying that, I have occasionally put old test strips in there but just for convenience.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The blood is drawn up into the test strip and there's a protective film over the area to avoid contact with the blood...... therefore shouldn't be a health hazard, but if people feel better disposing of them in the sharps bin then that is fine!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I should also state that when I'm travelling I tend to collect all my sharps to go in my yellow bin when I get home. If I wasn't doing that with the test trips as well, it would make the job easier.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't have a sharps bin. I was advised to put my used lancets and strips into a plastic bottle and tape the lid on, then into landfill container. Is this wrong?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Who advised you to do that Thommo ? I don't think that's great advice. Have you asked for a sharps container ? I guess you gotta do what you gotta do !

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
I use my empty strip container to put my strips in. Then I put it in the household rubbish bag

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think the surgery staff have given you a duff bit of advice on lancet / needle disposal, worth rechecking how to get a sharps bin, it depends on your area on how to get one. My area is direct fro the GP's practice, others get them on prescription and then some get the from the local council.

Test strips I chuck in the sharps bin as its convenient place and my portable sharps bin (old test strip tub) is where I put the used lancets and strips while out and about. Though with the accu check mobile cartridge I chucked that in the norm bin.

julie64

Dislikes
rudeness, cooking, injecting insulin, not eating chocolate. lol.
As a nurse I was always told test strips go in clinical bags but at home they go in household rubbish, sharps bins cost more to destroy than household rubbish so I suppose its the bag for my test strips. :clap:

SewK8

I had never thought about it before but I always wonder how yo dispose of insulin vials. Any ideas? Mike go in household rubbish but would prefer to be more environmentally friendly!

Kat

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
SewK8 said:
I had never thought about it before but I always wonder how yo dispose of insulin vials. Any ideas? Mike go in household rubbish but would prefer to be more environmentally friendly!

Kat

Bottle bank, or recycling collection?

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
That's a bit rubbish as plastic bottkes aren't very robust. Have you ever asked for a sharps bin? They last a while and hold a litre of sharps, strips don't take up any space, mine go in with the sharps, just to be on the safe side.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ely,
when I used to get sharps boxes from the chemist they had info with them (get them through another source now so can't quote it). This clearly stated that bandelettes de sang ( blood glucose strips) had to be put into the box and not domestic rubbish. It quoted both French and EU law. I've never explicitly been told to do that by my doctor or nurse but when in hospital it was normal practice (I had a small individual sharps bin). I have been told to put used cannula and tubing and needle into the bin.
I suspect that the appropriate EU regulation is open to interpretation and is interpreted/enforced differently in the various countries.

SimonClifford

Sharps, I think, should be looked after & yellow-boxed. This isn't so much from a bio-hazard point of view, but is be annoyed if my fingers were cut to shreds.
(As for the disease "nasties" it's HIV & Hep C, HIV is a really weakling virus, dead when dry. Not sure about Hep C)
I whizz my test strips in any old bin, my blood-testing is with Accu-chek multi clix - so is enclosed in its own "safe" container - whizz in the bin. That leaves needles which go in a yellow box. Takes me about 2-3 yrs to fill a 1 l sharps box.