Amount of Fruit

nannab

I expect this is a rather stupid question, but can anyone give me an idea on the amount of fruit they eat daily. I love my fresh fruit and up until I was diagnosed with type 2 ate 5 pieces a day. I now only have the occasional piece of fruit if I am very peckish between meals and occasionally as a desert after my main meal. Is the sugar in fruit less likely to up bg readings than "everyday" sugar? Thank you.

NannaB

Claire

I eat lots of fruit and it causes me no problems, but I am on insulin...not sure what would be the best advice if you are not on insulin.

Hopefully someone else might know!

Claire

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Eat your fruit with your meals,watch out for g-r-a-p-e-s though they are little sugar factories!!I don't find fruit puts my BS up too much but best thing to do is test after eating it to check.

Knowledge is the key to control

Reactions: 1spuds

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Nannab,

You have to remember that fruit contains fructose so, although the vitamins and fibre are good for you, the sugar content means small portions. My daily fruit intake usually comprises
a small handfull of dried fruit with breakfast (if I am having a cereal)
a small fruit salad with lunch
one piece of fruit with my evening meal.

ThinType2

Hi

Pure fruit juices always send me sky high also so I mix with fizzy water and only have with meals.

I used to love fruit juices (especially cranberry...how I miss it!):)

Lady J

Do you have a blood glucose monitor?

If not, why not and get one ASAP. Without it you have no idea what particular foods will do to you.

When you have a meter and strips you can then experiment with different foods and see if they make you "spike".

LJ

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
To be honest, I haven't eaten fruit in years, and I've never been healthier!

It's a complete myth that fruit is essential to a healthy diet if you ask me. Lots of sugar, water, some fibre and a little vitamin C. I can get all of that, minus the sugar, from vegetables!
There was a while when we were told that fructose was beneficial for diabetics because it didn't require insulin to deal with it. Try testing your blood sugar after an apple and then tell me that!

All the best,

fergusc

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
I was told to avoid bananananas (!) & g****fruit. Apparently .
I love fruit but watch the portions, & I am now moving to raw veggies - carrots, cauli, peppers & such. Love the crunch.<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial">;)

Whitemare

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
People on statins should avoid g-r-a-pefruit as they interact.

Knowledge is the key to control

Abzlass

I also used to eat 5 pieces of fruit a day especially pears and red apples but I have had to give up as a pear can put me up between 5 & 6 units and an apple 4 - 5. I'd rather have a snickers with less sure and more enjoyment lol (special treat only though)[:p].

Ebenezer

I eat plenty of fruit & veg.

By the time I've finished my daily porage I've had 4-5 dried apricots, & a spoonful of sultanas (in the porage) together with oat bran & wheatgerm, aspirin & saccharin,
I don't take metformin with breakfast as my bsl drops below 5 by lunch

then between meals through the day - 1-2 apples, banana, orange, dried fig, date. Fructose (fruit sugar) has a low glycaemic index (slow to raise the bls reading) so maybe alright - my experience - but don't take my word

for lunch a casserole with plenty of veg, lean meat,
500 mg metformin with lunch

salad for the evening meal.
2x500 metformin
it seems that my sugar builds up through the night. It can be lower at 11 pm than at 7 am.

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
Apparently it's the naringin in g****fruit that's the problem.
Thw real idea is to eat a balanced diet & watch those calories!
It is working for me. I am losing weight.<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><font size="2"></font id="size2"><font color="teal"></font id="teal">

Whitemare