How do you keep cool and stable in the 'heat' ?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

In this heat - a few members are suffering and feeling the impact of it! :sick:
Needing less/more insulin, plenty of fluids , rest/shade etc.

Please use this thread to let us all know 'how' you may keep yourself cool in the heat
and keep stable with your blood sugar levels etc .
Where/how to store your insulin/meds too ? In the heat ...

As any tips,support,suggestions can help so many other's ... :thumbup:

Anna .

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
One method I have used in the past to cool down is to run the cold water tap over my wrists, where the pulse is, this seems to cool me down quite quickly :thumbup:

jake60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The curtains remain open but the blinds behind them stay closed to reflect the heat back outward and it helps a great deal.
I have fans in most rooms that are blowing none stop even when no one is in them and the doors left open so the air can move around the building.
Kitchen door open fully all day with a zip up insect screen fitted on the outside to keep the wild life out especially the flying kind.
Lots of liquid intake to keep hydrated.
But ... even after all that some nights the heat is unbearable!

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
Book the week off work :cool: or offer to get stock out of the freezer chiller as often as you can ;-)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I live on the 6th floor, my flat is a furnace. According to my thermostat the temperature is 30.4ºC
I can't wait to go to work each day for 12.5 hours in air conditioned bliss

On the upside, my GP will be happy with my reduced basal and bolus requirements and his subsequent cost saving....

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Put your head in a freezer, lol,been doing that which helps! Also having a fan on all night, can't be without it. Home made ice lollies, lucozade at the ready.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

iHs

Hot temperatures make my bg levels drop quite a bit so good excuse to eat a screwball icecream and enjoy without doing a bolus to eat it.

I am lucky enough to live in a house so can open up my backdoor and open up my livingroom window and create a draft. What has really helped no end though is to open up the loft door on landing as that helps to cool the house and also enables a good nights sleep instead of tossing and turning.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi All / Ladies .

Have discovered an extra great use with my frio cool wallet .
These wallets are FABULOUS at keeping my lipsticks/lipglosses from melting
in this heat/hot weather .
I just put them alongside my eye drops, insulin cartridges and insulin pens .

Handy extra little 'tip' - for the Ladies . :wave:

Anna .

purpleya

My sugar levels go up in the heat but other diabetics I know experience low sugar levels. I wonder does this depend on what type of diabetic you are (type 1 or 2)? Does it indicate whether you are not producing enough insulin or whether you are insulin-resistant? :?:

Gwilo

I'm not sure what my sugar levels are doing, haven't tested all week, but started again today after an OGTT yesterday AM....this morning.....9.6 two hours after eating (coffee, shredded wheat + milk) - yep, the sligght dizziness is there alright.......

Will try and relate levels to heat the next few days - but in terms of keeping cool, i bought a portable air con about 4 years back off a contact (half price of B&Q)....gets rolled out into bedroom every summer, and put on for 1 hour when we go to bed. works wonders for comfort. Even it it was RRP, it would still be money well spent.

WhitbyJet

Sprinkle the bottom sheet with a little talcum powder, place the top sheet and pillow slip in the freezer until bed time.
Drink plenty, immerse feet/legs in a bucket of cold water.
Come up to Whitby :thumbup: :thumbup: its not as hot as it is down south.

If you have a garden can you please leave out a container with water for the animals/birds, my brother lives in Wimbledon rescued a dehydrated hedgehog yesterday.

Twizzletail

anna29 said:
Hi All .

Please use this thread to let us all know 'how' you may keep yourself cool in the heat

Anna .

Hi all, my first time posting, so hope I am doing it right

A spray with cool water, ( I use a plastic plant sprayer) as you get into bed cools me down enough to get off to sleep.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Twizzletail said:
anna29 said:
Hi All .

Anna .

Hi all, my first time posting, so hope I am doing it right

A spray with cool water, ( I use a plastic plant sprayer) as you get into bed cools me down enough to get off to sleep.

Hi twizzletail .

Great first post and suggestion :thumbup:

Thank you for this - I will be trying this one tonight .
It really is much TOO hot for my liking :thumbdown:

Anna .

Assimilator1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hate this heat when working, to hot to work on cars! Let it rain!

I find as it goes over ~25C it tends to lower my BG, but not consistently, still nothing about my diabetes is consistent, impossible to control properly, all I can do is avoid too many hypo's.
It doesn't help though that the information from NHS is patchy, e.g I only found out today from this site that meat can raise BG levels!, I've been T1 for 11yrs!

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I hate this hot weather and feel limp and lifeless and have a large occilating fan going in my front room 24/7 at the moment....

zombiegirl

My levels have gone really low in this heat, and what's worse is, my usual hypo symptoms (warm feeling all over, light headedness) are pretty much how this hot weather makes me feel all the time, so I'm finding it really difficult to detect hypos.

In fact I was rushed to A&E in an ambulance this weekend after I awoke with a nighttime hypo and my husband found me unconscious downstairs having a full blown seizure! This has scared me so much - it's the first major diabetic incident I've had in 22 years of being type 1. I'm now testing literally about 12 times a day as I just don't trust myself in this weather...roll on Autumn!