More Insulin or not!!!

David82

Dislikes
High carb foods lol
Hi everyone,, im new to tpye 1 diabetes found out last week,,, this might be a silly question but is it ture the more carb intake you have, the more insulin you need.. Any info on this would be brill...THANKS

kangoo

Yes, that's correct.

When I was diagnosed type 1, I was told what to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner in terms of carbohydrate. It was a long time before the clinic started to talk about varying insulin according to carbs in a meal. Please be careful as you are newly diagnosed and probably not stable yet.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
David,

One week in from diagnosis as a Type 1 you should be having the support of your Diabetic Team. Were you given the phone number of the person who is supporting you in the early days? I know I was given the phone number that I could phone at any time day or night.

I agree with kangoo. Wait a while until you are stable before thinking about adjusting food intake and Insulin.

Take care

David82

Dislikes
High carb foods lol
Thank you both for yer info,,, i have a meal plan all right and im sicking to it (my levels are gone down),,,i also so have a diabetes nurse that has being brilliant for info..Thank you both again :)

kangoo

I remember begging the nurses to let me eat less when I was first diagnosed. After about 4 months, they agreed on a smaller dose of insulin and I was able to cut back on the carbs.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started carb counting 2 weeks after diagnosis. At first you have to do what the team say so your BG doesn't drop too quickly, but once you're stable ask about carb counting. Then you will learn how to adjust your own insulin to the meal you want to eat :)

KHeggie87

Hi David,

Sorry to hear you've recently been diagnosed as a Type 1 Diabetic, but remember there is so much support out there.

I remember being diagnosed & so scared, but I found the best support from apps like these & talking to other Diabetics.

Remember it's rare for anyone to have perfect blood sugars all of the time, so try not to be so harsh on yourself if things do go a bit wrong.

Diabetes is something that your ALWAYS learning from.

Sometimes you may feel like
'What's the point in me trying to treat my diabetes, especially as my sugars aren't what they are meant to be?'
- WHATEVER YOU DO, PLEASE NEVER STOP TREATING YOUR DIABETES.
- If your feeling down about it, carry on your treatment & come on here to chat to someone. It's done me the world of good.

I hope you have a good Diabetes team, as it took me awhile to find a good healthcare team.

When my Consultant looked at me and said: "Tell me, what do you think we can do to improve your Diabetes care?"
- I knew I found the right Diabetes team.

Remember your in control of the Diabetes, not the other way round.

Sorry to go on & on, I just wanted to share as I know how scary it can be. If you ever need to chat then I'm here.

Kev.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hale710 said:
I started carb counting 2 weeks after diagnosis. At first you have to do what the team say so your BG doesn't drop too quickly, but once you're stable ask about carb counting. Then you will learn how to adjust your own insulin to the meal you want to eat :)

I'm still learning.

Today has been particularly challenging with some big lows as I've been very active in the garden hacking back various shrubberies. I've got the hang of "normal" days, got the hang of aerobic exercise but days of heavy unpredictable activity still screw me up.