Newbie wife of 63 y-o Type 2; HELP!

mrsaverage

Last Wednesday my husband aged 63 and physically active was diagnosed with what I assume is type 2 - he's only seen a doctor about 8 times in his life and only went because he had a skin condition, then blood tests revealed this.

This was a big shock for him and he didn't really take in what the GP (who he's never met before) said, except try diet first, if that doesn't work then it's tablets. She implied he's 'marginally' diabetic and the number he remembers is 7 ???? What might that mean?

I asked what diet she'd suggested he said No Carbohydrates and stop eating sweets/biscuits/cakes -which he doesn't, he rarely has a sweet yen at all . WHY wasn't he given something on paper???? :shock:

So I came on the net and mostly read that the best diet is loads of veg, low-fat protein plus plenty of wholewheat carbs (bread, pasta, potoatos), but then I see other advice that says no carbs at all.

We already do wholemeal bread and pasta, quite a lot (but probably not enough) veg, but he does love good red meat and EGGS (we have our own 3 hens).

OK, he may be difficult, but he's MY difficult and I don't want him to die! So can anyone on here tell me what I should do re feeding him? He's got more tests to come but I just want to get going right ASAP. :wink:

Katharine

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You will come across different opinions on what the optimal diet for diabetes should be. The optimal diet for your husband ( and probably yourself too) will end up:

Helping to keep blood sugars in the normal range. For most people this means restricting sugars and starchy food, avoiding fruit juice and lots of milk, and eating more green and low starch vegetables instead.
Adequate in calories. If your husband is overweight he will benfit from cutting down on total calories. Once he is slim he will need to eat more fat to maintain a reasonable weight.
Satisfying. For most people this involves eating a reasonable amount of lean protein eg eggs, fish, meat and for vegetarians soya products.

A good place to start is to think about what foods he eats now and what foods he most enjoys.

mrsaverage

Thanks Katherine, it was good to have such an instant reply. :D

I'm enraged that the GP (although, to be honest, she must be seeing increasing numbers of diabetics if one believes the press - that's as far as I'll forgive her) could give OH such a shock and so little info. :x

So much so that my vigorous, active and forever outdoors man is sitting about looking pale and frightened and keeps saying "I'm a dead man, aren't I?" :evil:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Mrs.A no he is not a dead man! If he can manage to get his blood sugar levels down below 7 and keep them there then he has a very good chance of staying free of complications.He needs to be seen by the doctor again or a diabetic nurse to explain more fully what he needs to do.Go with him,after all,you probably do a lot of the cooking!Try and get a blood testing meter from them as well.With this he can find out which foods put his blood sugars up and which don't and therefore plan suitable menus.Have a good read round the forum,both of you and you will pick up some really helpful advice here.

mrsaverage

Many thanks, Sue, I'll take your advice. I'm sure once I understand not only the condition but Doug's form of the condition, I'll be fine.

It looks like it's a balance thing and that's why I'm muddled - it's the 3-dimensinal thing of this I can't get my head round :wink: but luckily, although no cook, OH good at chess so between us and this site, he should get this sorted thanks to this site.

But I have no doubt you and Katherine will have me/us on here again panicking before we get ourselves sorted! :roll:

Gill

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Don't worry ,Gill,we've all been there.One minute you are you next minute you are 'diabetic' with very little information given.Keep coming back with the questions,there's always someone with an answer!

Katharine

Gill,

You wrote:
my vigorous, active and forever outdoors man is sitting about looking pale and frightened and keeps saying "I'm a dead man, aren't I?"

I suspect you will never get an opportunity like this again. This is your chance to tell him the "truth" about diabetes.

1. Person afflicted must get up early.
2. Make wife tea and bring it up to her in bed.
3. Make the breakfast.
4. Do plenty of vigorous housework spaced throughout the day.
5. Do plenty of vigorous gardening/car washing/ dog walking/dog washing.
6. Go to shops on foot to get supplies of fresh veg/meals/fish/eggs replenished.
7. Make lovely reduced carb meals and low carb baking.
8. Give wife a nice back massage for all the housework supervision she has had to do all day.

:wink:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Wonder if that works for other conditions as well,Katharine! :lol: :lol:

mrsaverage

Katharine said:
Gill,

You wrote:
my vigorous, active and forever outdoors man is sitting about looking pale and frightened and keeps saying "I'm a dead man, aren't I?"

I suspect you will never get an opportunity like this again. This is your chance to tell him the "truth" about diabetes.

1. Person afflicted must get up early.
2. Make wife tea and bring it up to her in bed.
3. Make the breakfast.
4. Do plenty of vigorous housework spaced throughout the day.
5. Do plenty of vigorous gardening/car washing/ dog walking/dog washing.
6. Go to shops on foot to get supplies of fresh veg/meals/fish/eggs replenished.
7. Make lovely reduced carb meals and low carb baking.
8. Give wife a nice back massage for all the housework supervision she has had to do all day.

:wink:

Ooh Katherine, he does 1, 2 already, eats a banana and a drinking yogurt for breakfast and then fetches the paper and lets our 3 hens out.

Looking at 4 = :) :) :).

5, good thought but have to insert 4A, buy a dog (consult 15-y-o cat first) :?

6 - 8 :) :) :) but hangonamo, I'd lose my control over him !!! :wink:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Katharine, how do you work it if both of you are diabetic. I am T2 and husband T1?
The tea making machine is his realm though. He sets it up every night. Also he supervises the dishwasher, apparently I'm rubbish at loading it.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
mrsaverage said:
I'm enraged that the GP (although, to be honest, she must be seeing increasing numbers of diabetics if one believes the press - that's as far as I'll forgive her) could give OH such a shock and so little info. :x

So much so that my vigorous, active and forever outdoors man is sitting about looking pale and frightened and keeps saying "I'm a dead man, aren't I?" :evil:
I was 61 when diagnosed T2. I can't complain I wasn't told anything. I was told EVERYTHING that could go wrong. I went in expecting the diagnosis, knowing that Steve Redgrave was winning Olympic golds, & came out in a state of shock that lasted months. I thought I had the illness that would cause my early death. I was sent on an education programme at the local hospital, to get advice from nurse, optician, podiatrist, pharmacist, dietitian....

Now, at 69, I can still play a good game of tennis against much younger players, & I don't need to add, "for my age."

Follow the reduced carb advice, check BS using the free meter (test strips should be on prescription) and keep him active & you'll keep him for a long time yet.

And I used to play chess at county standard, but it was too time consuming, & took over my sleep analysing games. Also I would come home stinking of other people's smoke.

I wish you & him well. The appropriate diet will be good for both of you.

Trinkwasser

mrsaverage said:
So I came on the net and mostly read that the best diet is loads of veg, low-fat protein plus plenty of wholewheat carbs (bread, pasta, potoatos), but then I see other advice that says no carbs at all.

Your doctor is clearly above average in understanding diet.

Look at it this way

average A1c of wild type diabetics 9

average A1c of diabetics in forums and newsgroups probably around high 5/low 6

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

That is the Gold Standard for finding the correct diet for him, which will probably differ from the correct diet for anyone else.