Scared :(

ChelseaLee3011

Lantus wasn't working so they put me on levemir in February, I still haven't managed to get that to suit me so now they want me to have a pump... I really didn't want one and have given myself loads of horror stories about them getting in the way and catching on things :( think I'm going to have to give one a try what do people think of theirs and is it worth trying? Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SewK8

Hello
I don't have a pump yet but am being assessed in September for one.
When they suggested it to me I immediately panicked and got very stressed out about nights and being stuck with it all the time.
But having looked into it more and spoken to the reps. I felt a bit better but it was reading how they can change ur life via people on here and also YouTube has made me impatient to get one. I know I can't continue the way I am so am embracing the research and technology that has gone into helping us type ones live a better and longer life

Kat - type 1 for 28 years and counting! (Everything!)

Kelsmell82

Hi,

Totally get one!! They are fab! I've been on one for 2 months now and love it. I had problems like you with Lantus as well, it just didn't work for me. When I got asked to go on one by my diabetes team, I crapped myself :) such a big change, with a lot of hard work! I had so many questions: how do I wear it? What about showers/bathing? How do I sleep with it in? What about sex? :eek: etc... Etc... The list was endless.

But it was the best decision I made. Don't get me wrong it was hard work and still is at times, the first few weeks I felt like giving it up I was so confused and frustrated! Its pretty mentally and physically draining as well (hmmm I'm not doing it any favours here :)) but don't give up, it gets easier! Remember you will have to start on basic amounts of insulin and general rates, so bloods will be all over the place! I'm still working out some stuff, but I'm getting there.

As for all my initial questions - no worries! I've yanked the tubing,its weird, but not sore! The sticky tabs are brilliant :) sleeping is a piece of cake, you can lie on it easy! I attach it to my bra or trousers, no probs.

The best thing is, when you have made something to eat and you get comfy on the sofa and start stuffing your face, I just press a couple of buttons and my insulin is done! No more getting up and getting my pen, needles, priming the pen, injecting! Sweet :)

Good luck and don't worry.
Xx

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with kelsmell82.

At first the pump is hard work and a bit scary as you just aren't used to it, but I wouldn't give it up now!

I've had it for about a year now and I've found adjusting the basal rates and being able to give myself such small amounts of insulin great.

I've not got it caught and besides you can always stick the tubing to your body with Mefix tape if you are worried about that. My cannula has only fallen out a handful of times in a year and that has been due to sweating a lot at the gym after ive had it in for a couple if days or because I've been in the steam room.

I was totally against a pump at first too, but glad I made the leap!

ElleDee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Dislikes
Having diabetes :-(
I agree with all of the above :)

I've been a 'pumper' for about 1 1/2 years now and although I have lots of complications the pump has significantly helped.

It does take a lot to get used to and the first wee while will be a steep learning curve but after this you really do forget you have it on :)

sadly I am very clumsy and routinely pull mine out, especially at night but its not a big deal, and certainly not as sore as I thought it would be.

My pump tends to live in my bra but there are a wealth of sites out there who provide fabby wee gizmos for holding or storing your pump elsewhere. It took me a while to find out these sites existed and I worried about my wardrobe and how I would manage to wear a lot of things, but after finding these sites found that there really was no limits, so that made me feel better. X

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
I've had a pump for a week now, it is possibly the best thing for me.
I've had a few lows, but no highs. They are really good, before you dismiss them, do the research. Looking at each pump companies website (or the website of the pump you know your getting) is great, you can read the features and find contact information if you want to talk to the reps.
YouTube and various sites (this included) all have information on pumps / set changes / cannulas etc.
if you do the research and still decide the pump isn't for you, tell your GP / consultant, no matter what, having a pump is completely your choice and you cannot be forced to have one.

Best of luck!

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

iHs

Hi

I got a pump 3 years ago after being diabetic and injecting insulin for 45 years.

Pumps are fairly hard work and mentally draining in getting the settings correct and involve frequent bg testing to check the settings being used are correct but once the settings are more or less correct, then the pump is ok until the settings need adjusting again which for some might mean once every 10 or so days or once every 14 or 30 days.... so a pump does tend to make diabetics look after themselves. The good thing of course, is that the basal rate of insulin can be adjusted much better with a pump than using background insulins injected with a pen. The bag thing is when infusion sets play up with blockages and where inserting one becomes a problem with body absorbing insulin correctly. These things can be overcome by trying different areas and using different types of set.

Wearing the pump is something people have to learn to overcome but the pumps available now are smaller than they were a few years ago and so having a pump clipped to the waistband of trousers or skirts is not too much of an issue. I have my Combo pump inside my bra cup and don't really know that its there. I do have a remote for it so can press buttons on the remote to deliver the insulin instead of using the pump itself but lots of female diabetics using pumps have it in their bra cup regardless of having a remote for it and as long as the pump is on a longish tube, can just pull the pump out of their bra and deliver the insulin so no one really even knows that we all have pumps but even with a pump clipped to waistband, so many people nowadays have mobile phones attached to clothing that the general public are none the wiser so don't worry about how you will wear it. You also don't have to wear the pump when you go on holiday if you don't want to, you can go back to insulin pen injections as long as you know the units you need to use and leave the pump at home and just re connect when you return home. Getting married or attending an important event is the same, you can wear the pump if you want to or just disconnect and go back to injections so you can do what suits you on the day.

There is a lot to using a pump but as long as frequent bg testing can be done to check that the pump is working ok with the right settings, then a pump is good.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same as you tried lantus, couldn't get it to work, followed by levemir same. Even tried a humilin one, forget the name and was offered a pump. stupidly said no for 6 months before finally saying yes. Wish I had sooner :)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
I've been trying to get the pump for about three years now. Some areas are better at giving them out than others. So say yes. If it doesn't work, you can go back. But the diabetes is supposed to be easier to control with the pump.

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
If you just google the different pump names, you should find the manufactures website.

Medtronic UK Paradigm
Animas UK Veo
Accu Chek UK Combo
Omnipod UK

I've had no scarring, you may have a mark or a bruise occasionally where a site has been in, but this is no different to when you've injected and will disappear (provided you rotate sites) in a few days.

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My sites have been fine. 1 bleed in 1 year and I just rotate. Occasionally they are a bit sensitive but I know then that it is definitely time to move my cannula - sometimes I forget to move it after2/3 days.

Another site is

Www.sooil.com

They do the Dana pump which is small and I've found it really good. On the website you can use a prototype (hope that's the correct word) to see the pump functions it gives you.

I don't know how many people have this type of pump tho as I don't hear many people mention it.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
May get the odd bruise, same as on mdi though. also can be tender if not changed every 2~3 days do lets u know to change it lol. No permanent marks or scarring.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app