A year On

angua

Hi everybody,

I haven't been here for a while but I wanted to post my latest results to give newbies an insight.

I went for my annual review today
HbA1c 4.8% down from a year ago of 7.5%
Triglycerides .08% down from a year ago of 3.9
still weighing in at 14st but down from 20st 6lb (but the reason is related to my pacemaker and excess skin, so nothing to do with diabetes, just management of my pacemaker 'wander')
Energy levels really good, seem to be able to go on and on ... lol
Feeling great, not bogged down with that carb exhaustion that I used to have
Nurse asked how was I managing my diet " are you careful about the sugars you eat?"
I had to laugh, sugars are the least of my issues, sugar is obviously a no no - its the hidden ones in carbs I control and so I told her "I don't eat any carbs, the only carbs I get are a by-product of vegetables, which I limit and fruit which I seldom eat"
her response was that I need to eat a balanced diet
my response was, "you may be able to eat a balanced diet, but I cannot, furthermore I feel better than I ever have and the evidence of that is apparent in my HbA1c results"
to be honest she was trotting out the same old same old and I'm not really sure her heart was in it
So whoever is out there wondering if low carb high fat diet is for them I can only suggest you try it and observe the reults for yourself
good health all x x x gilly

Netty70

angua said:
Hi everybody,

I haven't been here for a while but I wanted to post my latest results to give newbies an insight.

I went for my annual review today
HbA1c 4.8% down from a year ago of 7.5%
Triglycerides .08% down from a year ago of 3.9
still weighing in at 14st but down from 20st 6lb (but the reason is related to my pacemaker and excess skin, so nothing to do with diabetes, just management of my pacemaker 'wander')
Energy levels really good, seem to be able to go on and on ... lol
Feeling great, not bogged down with that carb exhaustion that I used to have
Nurse asked how was I managing my diet " are you careful about the sugars you eat?"
I had to laugh, sugars are the least of my issues, sugar is obviously a no no - its the hidden ones in carbs I control and so I told her "I don't eat any carbs, the only carbs I get are a by-product of vegetables, which I limit and fruit which I seldom eat"
her response was that I need to eat a balanced diet
my response was, "you may be able to eat a balanced diet, but I cannot, furthermore I feel better than I ever have and the evidence of that is apparent in my HbA1c results"
to be honest she was trotting out the same old same old and I'm not really sure her heart was in it
So whoever is out there wondering if low carb high fat diet is for them I can only suggest you try it and observe the reults for yourself
good health all x x x gilly

Well done on the weight loss it obviously worked for you
I've only been a diabetic for about three months and just about got my head round it all so I now feel I can try other things so I am definitely going to try and cut carbs
Well done :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

angua

thank you netty, its certainly worth a try ( whatever the 'health officials ' tell you

good luck x x

Summermum

thank-you for your post, you've motivated a not so newbie :) Last year I was also a year in and had lost 3 stone and felt fab low carbing. Since Christmas have been slowly slipping with the diet, hence weight up 1 stone, BP up feel tired and low.Need to get back with stricter low carbing but difficult when feeling so tired and low, a downward spiral. Will try to draw a line today and move on so thanks again x