A welcome relief

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
your doing great..... have you heard of myfitnesspal app if you have an android phone its really good, it helps you to record what your eating, you can also use it on your computer if not, snacking isnt such a problem for me as i am low carbing therefore eat high fat and that stops the need for snacks as the fat makes you fuller for longer, have you tried almonds or other whole nuts, they are great for snacking but are quite high in fat aso it does depend on what diet your following althouh i watched a program on bbc1 the other night that said we dont digest all the fat so maybee not so bad, rowntrees no added sugar jellies in the little pots are also great little snacks and they are good for all types of diets, i reckon settling into an eating regeme that is sustainable is the key, if you dont think you could eat like this forever (whatever it is) then theres little point, thatll take a while to figure out as any reduction in food is gonna make you hungry at first until your body adjusts, keep researching, theres so much helpful advice out there, but at the end of the day when your hungry it tottaly sucks believe i know 70lbs lost wasnt without some pain :) anyway ill shup now as im one finger typing this on my phone and its hard going lol, keep it up and good luck :)

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
At the moment Andy I don't really have a diet plan in mind, I will soon but i was just trying to eat more healthy and reduce portions for now and see how that goes. I am going to check out that app it sounds handy. I expected some discomfort but I am determined to keep going. I might end up gnawing on a chair leg at some point... is wood low carb?

Mark

Netty70

zaphod37 said:
Thanks Netty
I have been testing before meals then 2 hours after. Also I was surprised to find my levels dropped that much after just a 25 minute brisk walk. One thing i need to try and address, I used to miss meals during the day then kind of binge before bed time. Now I find my worst hunger pangs come on about bedtime. I am looking for something I cam maybe snack on ad lessen the pang until i get to sleep.
Any suggestions?

Mark

Hmm for me I have a cereal bar the only thing I really check is the sugar content trying to get my head round being a diabetic and having to take tablets every day before I tackle everything else lol
Other good things are fruit or nuts depends what you like
My struggle at the mo is having the right breakfast suffering with the onset of hypos most mornings and that scares the poop out of me lol
Life is a challenge mark
The exercise is great though but take a snack or some glucose tablets with you just incase you stay out longer than you should and ave a wobble :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
funny how we are all different having a cereal bar would be like eating poison for me :) even reading the word cereal has put my bg up a couple of points :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
LittleWolf said:
Oh whoops, sorry! I made an assumption about why they're ok >_< Ok you see why I'm going to shut up now @_@

I suppose the double-whammy is when a fruit like bananas are both high carb and high GI? If something is high carb low GI you might have to look out for a BG increase creeping up later...right?

*is an idiot*

No no you're trying to help people, don't shut up!

I mean, I've just learnt from this thread that an less ripe banana is lower GI than a fully yellow one. We're all here to learn :)

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
I agree all advice is welcome and we learn from posts. (haven't found out the carb rating of my chair leg yet though) :p

Mark

LittleWolf

hale710 said:
LittleWolf said:
Oh whoops, sorry! I made an assumption about why they're ok >_< Ok you see why I'm going to shut up now @_@

I suppose the double-whammy is when a fruit like bananas are both high carb and high GI? If something is high carb low GI you might have to look out for a BG increase creeping up later...right?

*is an idiot*

No no you're trying to help people, don't shut up!

I mean, I've just learnt from this thread that an less ripe banana is lower GI than a fully yellow one. We're all here to learn :)

:3

In which case that applies to most fruits. The earlier they are the more bitter/tart/less sweet they tend to be. The color isn't right etc All signs they aren't ready to eat yet and give us energy because they aren't at their most appetising (maybe a little too much energy for some of us >_<)

So I have just learned that banana are actually low GI. 1 banana equals instant readings in the teens for me.

God only knows what they'd do to me if they were high GI too @_@

At least I think I got that right. *goes back into the corner*

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Well folks I woke up this morning and I am feeling good for the first time in months. I slept well last night and didn't notice any hunger pangs I am putting that down to the boiled egg with runny yoke I had about an hour before bed. Tested my blood this morning before breakfast and it was 5.9. I didn't even need the chair leg to snack on :p

Mark

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
untreated chair leg approximatly 0.2 grams of carbohydrate per 100g (source: http//:andyisdaft.org)

if varnished or paint covered it depends on the manufacturers how many carbohydrates used in the mix

dulux for example always spikes me

i try to only eat treated wood as an occasional treat while raw timber (except oak which gets stuck between teeth) can be eaten regularily as part of a low carb diet but remember if using xylitol to sweeten this can cause tummy upset in large quantities

warning: please remember to check before you sit at dinner table if you are prone to late night snacking especially after alcohol

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
lol that made me chuckle :p

Mark

Netty70

Andy12345 said:
untreated chair leg approximatly 0.2 grams of carbohydrate per 100g (source: http//:andyisdaft.org)

if varnished or paint covered it depends on the manufacturers how many carbohydrates used in the mix

dulux for example always spikes me

i try to only eat treated wood as an occasional treat while raw timber (except oak which gets stuck between teeth) can be eaten regularily as part of a low carb diet but remember if using xylitol to sweeten this can cause tummy upset in large quantities

warning: please remember to check before you sit at dinner table if you are prone to late night snacking especially after alcohol

That just made me laugh out loud
Very witty :)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Andy12345 said:

Hardwoods or softwoods? (source: http//:andyisnotsodaft.org)

Trees have been used as a foodsource for a long time upto and including the 20th century. Wood is 65% to 75% carbohydrate. The carbohydrate portion of wood comprises cellulose and the hemicelluloses. Cellulose content ranges from 40 to 50% of the dry wood weight, and hemicelluloses range from 25 to 35%. Humans don't produce enzymes which digest beta carbohydrates, cellulose, only ruminants do and, you need more than one stomache.

So, you can eat as many trees as you want and they will fill you up, but they won't provide nourishment. Bark bread has traditionally been used in times of famine or war as a stomache filler.

barkbrod4.jpg

The sami in northern scandinavia still eat it as, when made from pine, it is an important source of vitamin C. Pumpernickel (Devil's fart) is about my limit for these semi indigestible foodstuffs.

121126.jpg

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Strange day today, its a lot cooler than it has been all week, si I decided to go to Morrisons for some shopping. Halfway round the store I was sweating like a pig at a bbq and a wee bit light headed. I checked my sugar levels when I got back to the car and they were 6.2.

I am wondering if maybe I am trying to cut down carbs etc too quickly, or if its my body still adjusting to the new lifestyle. I went for a cup of tea and sat for a half hour before driving home. It wasn't bad enough to impair me but I wont take chances when driving.

I am thinking I will take a copy of my diet sheet for this week when I go see my DN for the first time on Wednesday, I have a feeling she might make me stand in the corner like a naughty wee lad.

Mark

Netty70

zaphod37 said:
Strange day today, its a lot cooler than it has been all week, si I decided to go to Morrisons for some shopping. Halfway round the store I was sweating like a pig at a bbq and a wee bit light headed. I checked my sugar levels when I got back to the car and they were 6.2.

I am wondering if maybe I am trying to cut down carbs etc too quickly, or if its my body still adjusting to the new lifestyle. I went for a cup of tea and sat for a half hour before driving home. It wasn't bad enough to impair me but I wont take chances when driving.

I am thinking I will take a copy of my diet sheet for this week when I go see my DN for the first time on Wednesday, I have a feeling she might make me stand in the corner like a naughty wee lad.

Mark

Hi mark
6.2 for me would be ok but we are all different
Now if I go near or below 4 I get the shakes, disorientated and generally all round odd, no change there I hear my friends shout lol
But you did the right thing safety is more important than anything
Hope your feeling better now :)