Wasp Sting

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
What can I expect to happen to my blood sugars after a wasp sting? Rather comically I got a wasp stuck in my cycling shirt on this mornings commute into work. It stung me on my chest before I could get it out :-(

I couldn't find anything specific on wasp stings and blood sugar so I thought i'd ask the experts. Currently my sugars are normal , around 45 mins after the incident.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I've never heard of there being any connection between a wasp sting and blood sugar. I get gnat bites due to walking in the woods and they just itch a lot. I shall check later to see if anyone comes up with more information.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I didn't test again all day , hectic monday at work. After my cycle home (15 km) I tested again and found my blood sugar to be over 7 mmol, normally its around 4,.8 mmol after the ride home. I guess the wasp sting did have an effect after all. Had the same reaction to sunburn last month which resulted in a couple of days of bizarre levels.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
LOL. My understanding was anything that stresses the body i.e injury, sunburn etc etc results in the release of glucose. I've clearly still a lot to learn after 16 months of being a diabetic :-(

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cblake843 said:
LOL. My understanding was anything that stresses the body i.e injury, sunburn etc etc results in the release of glucose. I've clearly still a lot to learn after 16 months of being a diabetic :-(

I had heard that too, but I've just had my tonsils out and was expecting elevated levels for a while afterwards, it was 13 immediately after but that was due to a mistake in carb counting by me, and 7s the day after. Now, 6 days later it's 3s and 4s mostly despite taking only 1 unit levemir and no Novorapid.

So I guess it may have caused the rise for you, but that won't be true for everyone!

Elc1112

Everyone is different. My sugars are more inclined to fall if I injure myself. All you can do is test a bit more often that usual and adjust your insulin if required. I've been diabetic for over 20 years and I am still learning! :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Murphycat

I got taken into hospital for nasty infection a couple of years ago. I was very ill and my blood sugars were all over the place, the highest being 23.

I got stung by a wasp yesterday in the pad of my finger. It still hurts this morning. I am one of these people who are told by the medical profession no need to test at home, so don't know how it affected my blood sugar