i'm not sure what happened?

marie.T1

i have been on a pump for 3 weeks now . yesterday morning at 4.30 i woke up feeling hypo so i tried to go downstairs to sort myself out. i only got to the landing then i passed out . my son and partner come rushing to help me. i come round dripping in sweat . my partner then went to get my bg monitor and tested my blood it was 19.4!!! so im not sure whether i was hypo or not or if i had a liver dump. if i had a liver dump would my bg's rise that quickly?

H

Hooked

My GUESS would be a liver dump, though I really don't know.
But what I wanted to say was to keep something beside your bed for hypos in future, I'd hate to think of what would have happened had you passed out going down the stairs.

marie.T1

i do keep lucozade by my bed so i dont know why i was going downstairs . i wasnt thinking straight . i have told my dsn that i think i go low in the night and usually dont wake me .we have lowered my basal rates through the night . if i set an alarm to test during the night my bgs are ok .i cant check them every night because i work full time i would be shattered at work . i see my dsn on thursday im going to ask if could borrow a cgm .

H

Hooked

marie.T1 said:
i do keep lucozade by my bed so i dont know why i was going downstairs . i wasnt thinking straight . i have told my dsn that i think i go low in the night and usually dont wake me .we have lowered my basal rates through the night . if i set an alarm to test during the night my bgs are ok .i cant check them every night because i work full time i would be shattered at work . i see my dsn on thursday im going to ask if could borrow a cgm .

Lol, I've done that many a time too - Walked right past the lucozade to go downstairs to treat the hypo!
Hope you get it sorted soon.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
marie.T1 said:
i have been on a pump for 3 weeks now . yesterday morning at 4.30 i woke up feeling hypo so i tried to go downstairs to sort myself out. i only got to the landing then i passed out . my son and partner come rushing to help me. i come round dripping in sweat . my partner then went to get my bg monitor and tested my blood it was 19.4!!! so im not sure whether i was hypo or not or if i had a liver dump. if i had a liver dump would my bg's rise that quickly?

Could it be possible that your hands were contaminated with glucose after treating (what you suspected was a hypo) and this may explain the high reading ?

Without thoroughly washing and drying the hands first you can get false readings from a bg meter.

marie.T1

i didnt touch any lucozade with my hands my partner treated me. i have spoken to my dsn and we have reduced all my basal rates for now and see what happens from now until thursday when i see her. ( hopefully this will sort things) i wasreally scared to go to bed last night !!!