vegetables

robertreed12

hi i am new to diabetes i am trying my best by eating white meats and fish but filling my plate with vegetables and now i been told there are lots of sugar in the veg , is this true because i have been using the veg to fill me up ...

Netty70

robertreed12 said:
hi i am new to diabetes i am trying my best by eating white meats and fish but filling my plate with vegetables and now i been told there are lots of sugar in the veg , is this true because i have been using the veg to fill me up ...

Best thing to do is google it but am sure you will get lots of answers on here
I hate saying something incase am wrong lol
Good luck :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is some sugar but i wouldnt say a lot. It all depends on vegetables. Anything that grows underground (root vegetables) is higher in sugar (potatoes,parsnip,beetroot,carrots). Anything that is green is good (brocolli,cucumber,green beans,any leaf salads). The best is to check carbs online for each vegetable

This website is good but its from US so you need to deduct fiber

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/veg ... cts/2816/2

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Vegetables contain carbs. Some more than others. As the above poster states root veg has more carbs than other types.

GetUnconscious

I googled and got this list.

Sprouts, alfalfa and other small seeds (sprouted legumes have more carb)
Greens – lettuce, spinach, chard, etc.
Hearty Greens - collards, mustard greens, kale, etc.
Radicchio and endive count as greens
Herbs - parsley, cilantro, basil, rosemary, thyme, etc.
Bok Choy
Pak choi
Bamboo Shoots
Celery
Radishes
Sea Vegetables (Nori, etc)
Mushrooms
Cabbage (or sauerkraut)
Jicama
Avocado
Asparagus
Okra
Cucumbers (or pickles without added sugars)
Green Beans and Wax Beans
Fennel
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Peppers
Green Bell Peppers
Red Bell Peppers
Jalapeno Peppers
Summer Squash
Zuchinni
Brussels Sprouts
Scallions or green onions
Snow Peas/Snap Peas/Pea Pods
Aubergine
Artichokes
Turnips
Pumpkin
Rutabagas
Spaghetti Squash
Celery Root (Celeriac)
Carrots
Onions

My god I LOVE pumpkin. This is going to sound strange but onion is the best thing ever as a snack. I peel a large white onions skin, place on a plate and microwave for three minutes on high. The onion slides apart and tastes so sweet and refreshing even though it's low in sugar! I love it. Pumpkin is also a favourite of mine. I'm one of those people that loves sprouts and Broccoli. Hahahaha. I love savoury food.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
RR
in general, above ground growing veg has less sugar than root veg. Tomatoes and peppers are actually[and botanically] fruits. If you look up the actual figures, you need to know if you are looking at American or British data. The Americans count Fibre as a carbohydrate. Chemically they are correct, but it's indigestible, so irrelevant in nutrition data. We Brits count it separately.
Hana

GetUnconscious

Patch13 said:
Onion does have a high carb content though.

Yes, but if like me you don't eat refined sugars it's a great snack. My carb count is currently fairly low and the sugar content of onions isn't high either. As long as you don't have fried onions late at night...there's no problem.