a friendly question

courty13

i had the hospital on Friday and although my blood pressure was fine and everything else and they were a great help at the hospital I found out that my hba1c was around 70 and it needs to be around 50 they have suggested going onto 4 injections a day as im only on the 2 at the moment where I inject once before breakfast and then once before my tea ive heard different things about the 4 injections day some people have said they end up having more hypos and others have said it helps them better I use to have great levels until I had a really bad hypo and I had to have the ambulance out to me and ever since then ive been worried when it has dropped and always try and have a high reading before I go to bed incase it drops low during the night I got told to only have lucozade if my level drops below 3.5 now so im trying that I just want to ask what do people try for when they have low sugar levels aswel and if people could let me know more about the 4 injections a day would be nice to speak to more diabetics on here aswel

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
I do two background injections and carb count for my quick acting . Up to 8 or 9 injections a day i hypo normally late night early morning because of the hours i work. I dont mind doing m9re injections if it means better control

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

courty13

thanks for the reply cupcaake im not working at the minute so if I did change it might help me get use to it do u find it lets you go back to how your life was before diabetes as u can eat normal things and just inject when you have at certain times ive always watched what im eating

twosweet

I am a T2 and do not use insulin, but as far as I know as a diabetic, one can never go back to eating as non-diabetics do.
The lower you carb intake for us, the better.

tizzy

I would also like a bit of advice I have the levimuir and novorapid ready but atoll using 2 times a day humulin but keep putting it of as a bit scared of it I have got used to higher sugars and feel hypo at 7 and deaths door at 4 the nurse scared me a bit but I think because she was un sure herself I am starting on 4 units of novo in the morning 4 with lunch 6 eve meal then 8 levimuir at night I don't have confidence in the nurse as in is this too much not enough? I knowevery ones needs are different but just a rough guide from someone else would help I feel totally in the dark with all this and would be so glad if anyone could help me as we'll many thanks

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
tizzy said:
I would also like a bit of advice I have the levimuir and novorapid ready but atoll using 2 times a day humulin but keep putting it of as a bit scared of it I have got used to higher sugars and feel hypo at 7 and deaths door at 4 the nurse scared me a bit but I think because she was un sure herself I am starting on 4 units of novo in the morning 4 with lunch 6 eve meal then 8 levimuir at night I don't have confidence in the nurse as in is this too much not enough? I knowevery ones needs are different but just a rough guide from someone else would help I feel totally in the dark with all this and would be so glad if anyone could help me as we'll many thanks

Is normal when sugars have been running too high to feel like **** at normal levels. However, running them high because thats what your body is used to can cause alot of serious problem in the future. A few are eye, kidney, problems amongst many. As for how much insulin u need is exactly what u said. people r different and needs different quantities. From the levels u stated that is I believe a low insulin dose compared to many. However, that may be all u need. r u type 1 or 2, not that it matters lol just curious. Ideally with having the long acting insulin should be waking at 5~6, same pre meal. When using the bolus (qa) for meals aiming between 6~8 post meal. Keeping a food diary of how many carbs you r eating and how much insulin you use and 2 hour post meal readings wil help u and your team find the right amount to get your levels down.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

tizzy

Thank you for your reply leaning towards type one as reading above
20 s was not overweight and pills did not work but my gp practise is rubbish even reluctant to send me to a consultant as they would think the gp was not looking after me properly to which they were correct they were disgusted when I did get to see them however enough of that I am here now and will ask for a test at some point certainly as type 2 there is a lot of stigma but have got to the point of not caring just the right treatment would be good the insulin I am on still leaves me with high levels then keeps dropping needing food and so it goes on i am rubbish at calculating keeping notes ect I do try but vey forgetfull my old gp thought I had add and anyone who knows me do not dispute that but as an adult I can go without a proper diagnosis at hence changing to levimuir and novorapid any thought or advice would be really kind

tizzy

Sorry forgot to say wake up in11s after food and insulin 14s before food can be the same 9 to 12s or higher if I snack the allowed digestives lol 12 14etc really fed up with it all now and want a huge chocolate cake but I won't always aware of how kids must struggle with this and there parents its

qbix

Hi, I have been on MDIs since Jan when I was diagnosed with type 1. My hba1c was 91 so they put me on insulin straight away. Unfortunately it is all a really delicate balancing act. I had been averaging 20mmol/l for the last few months so felt awful for a few weeks as my body readjusted to having more normal levels. The amount of insulin you need to take varies from person to person and how you are managing your diabetes. My insulin requirements are still minimal but I have lost weight since diagnosis and have changed my diet dramatically too as well as starting to exercise more. I am also in the honeymoon phase which means my pancreas still produces some insulin.

If I am eating a 100g carb meal then I will inject 5 units of insulin if I am at 6mmol/l. However if I am at 4mmol/l I might only take 4. If on the other hand I am going to be doing some physical then I would maybe only take 2 so I have more sugar in my blood to stop me going hypo.

As you can see there are no hard and fast rules, but I hope that helps. Unfortunately you have to go through a bit of trial and error to see what works for you. I would suggest 2 things though. 1. Try going lower or low carb. This will reduce your BS spikes making it easier to control your diabetes and 2. Read think like a pancreas. This gives you a great set of rough guide line s as well as how to manage your diabetes with insulin effectively. It is very biased towards pumps, but having read it I can see why.

Hope that helps. Let us know how you get on

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

tizzy

Thank you will get the book and get my husband to help me as usual there doesn't seem to be much help from drs does there or is it just mine

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Definitely agree about 'Think like a Pancreas', an excellent book.
Carbs depend on your lifestyle, if you are very active you may find that you need higher carbs for energy and vice versa. I have managed very good glucose levels with a moderate (ie 150-180+g day) diet and an active lifestyle. I have hypos, especially during exercise but have learned how to deal with them. ( see the book above) Recognising them, treating early with fairly precise amounts of fast acting carbs (ie not to much) is what I have found is key to avoiding wild swings in glucose levels.
I no longer use 4 injections a day, though it worked well, I'm fortunate to be able to use continuous injection plus boluses for meals ie a pump. I believe this works even better.(but I don't live in the UK and realise I am lucky to have one)
I believe that the nearer to natural insulin dosing you can get, the easier it is to get more normal results. Your pancreas doesn't just release insulin a couple of times a day, learning to use shorter acting insulin, in combination with a background insulin should Improve results.

courty13

im hoping to get an appointment with the diabetic nurse and speak to her about a good diet im still thinking whether I want to try the 4 injections a day I tend to always have high levels in the mornings like this morning my level was 15.7 but it was only 11.0 before bed last night then had my bowl of cheerios and done 22units of novomix and just before my dinner at just after 12 It was 5.4 where I then had 2 brown bread slices of bread with 2 slices of cooked ham on a packet of wotsits and my glass of diet coke and I checked it about half 4 and it was 8.4 but I have a thing of worrying if its low before bed like 6-8 and ill always have a little bit of lucozade to make sure my level doesn't drop during the night

tizzy

Hi like you I keep my levels about 8 before bed the humulin I am on doesn't help my meal levels but keeps going down later which is why Ian going on to 4 x a day like you I am a it anxiousl about the change I think I know more now when first put on insulin I did not really worry at all but like you hypos (mine were) minor but scared me all the same sometimes I feel I defeat the object of keeping good control because if igo to about 6or7 ipanic and. Eat or drink I suppose eventually it will all become easier please let us know how you get on I am going to start it not this weakend but next

qbix

courty13 said:
im hoping to get an appointment with the diabetic nurse and speak to her about a good diet im still thinking whether I want to try the 4 injections a day I tend to always have high levels in the mornings like this morning my level was 15.7 but it was only 11.0 before bed last night then had my bowl of cheerios and done 22units of novomix and just before my dinner at just after 12 It was 5.4 where I then had 2 brown bread slices of bread with 2 slices of cooked ham on a packet of wotsits and my glass of diet coke and I checked it about half 4 and it was 8.4 but I have a thing of worrying if its low before bed like 6-8 and ill always have a little bit of lucozade to make sure my level doesn't drop during the night

Hey

Your rise over night could be for one of two reasons.

1. You are not on enough background insulin

2. You are suffering from the dawn effect where your liver dumps a load of glucose into your blood stream to get you ready for the day

Sorry to sound like a broken record/fanatic but think like a pancreas covers this off brilliantly and out lines insulin regimes on how to deal with this.

I should finish off by saying I am not a medical doctor and you should always consult with your DSN or GP before making Amy changes to your insulin regime :smile: