What bread is best???

David82

Dislikes
High carb foods lol
Hi, im a newbie tpye 1 diabetic,, just want to know what tpye of bread should i eat,, Wholegrain or Wholemeal ??? Any info would be brill thanks

Hopeful Alfie

Wholemeal bread is really good as it takes longer to digest. It is worth looking at the list of ingredients to see which product has the most wholemeal flour in it, as they put other things like soya flour with it. Personally I got so fed up with the commercially-made stuff that I bought a bread-making machine and now make my own wholemeal loaves. They taste good too. It is quite easy to do as the machine does most of the work and cooks it too. At least I know what ingredients go into my bread. Whatever you choose to do, it is best not to over-eat ANY bread ! You will find good advice on "low-carbing" on this site, so welcome to the club.

Hopeful Alfie

P.S: To avoid wasting any of my home made bread I slice it all, put some in the frig for current use, and freeze the rest in suitable portions

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I now buy 'Burgen' bread which has whole linseeds in. (Think that's right)

I always keep it in the fridge and my last loaf lasted a week this way.

£1 from Iceland.... Or £1.50 from Tesco unless it's on offer.

I also get Vogels when I can't get Burgen. Hoping that's as good.

There is less carbohydrate in Burgen bread apparently.....

Look for Wholegrain. Wholegrains are lower GI apparently.

Netty70

David82 said:
Hi, im a newbie tpye 1 diabetic,, just want to know what tpye of bread should i eat,, Wholegrain or Wholemeal ??? Any info would be brill thanks

Hi David
When I was diagnosed my DN told me to have only granary bread I have also bought the burgen bread as I read lots of good things on here about it
Good luck and welcome :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Gwilo

I'm echoing the sentiments of Netty, Zola and Hopeful.....although mak sure it's proper wholemeal or granary and not just brown bread......which I think my DW picked up the other day....
Cue post prandial sugar of 14.6.......
Also, when we say wholemeal is better, that doesn't mean white bread is a tolerable substitute. It means white bread is poison.
I cannot tell you the awfulness I experienced after thinking "what the hell, how bad can it be?" and munching two sandwiches made with Warbie's finest Toastie bread :crazy: :crazy:

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a huge fan pf Burgen. It's the best thing since, well...sliced bread(sorry, couldn't help myself!:smile: ) As mentioned by others, it is very important not to overdo it but in moderation it doesn't have an adverse effect on my bg. The last time I had a white bread sandwich (a moment of weakness!) I couldn't finish it because the texture was so weird and unpleasant.

charon

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Early on I had 2 burgen bread sandwiches. Was actually more than I wanted to eat and a bit of a struggle. Bg went to 15.1. Don't know if that was due to the bread, filling or quantity. Haven't dared try again since - will give it a go sometime though.
Can manage a round of wholemeal toast and marmalade so it is probably ok.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hopeful Alfie said:
Wholemeal bread is really good as it takes longer to digest. It is worth looking at the list of ingredients to see which product has the most wholemeal flour in it, as they put other things like soya flour with it. Personally I got so fed up with the commercially-made stuff that I bought a bread-making machine and now make my own wholemeal loaves. They taste good too. It is quite easy to do as the machine does most of the work and cooks it too. At least I know what ingredients go into my bread. Whatever you choose to do, it is best not to over-eat ANY bread ! You will find good advice on "low-carbing" on this site, so welcome to the club.

Wholemeal flour is processed in the same way that white flour is processed, in fact there is little difference ape=art from a small increase in fibre and because of this it is no better for a diabetic than white flour.

Wholegrain flour/bread on the other hand does take longer to digest as it is the whole grains that are harder to digest, wholemeal bread has the same GI as white bread and will have the same effect on bg levels.

The only way for any diabetic to know if one bread is better than another is to test them.

But as a general rule of thumb wholeGRAIN breads are much much kinder to bg levels than white or wholemeal.

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Rye bread.
Rye bread.
Rye bread.
Rye Bread.
Rye bread.
Rye bread.
Rye bread.
Rye bread.
Rye bread.
Rye bread.
Rye bread.

Rye bread (with Biona Pear & Apple Spread), throughout the morning and into the late afternoon, keeps my blood-sugar stable.

Indeed it's hypo preventative: I always get time to react.

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
Wholemeal is no better than white bread, because it's mostly white flour with some brown stuff added. Whole grain is better, pumpernickel is even better still, but I still can't eat even that without spiking. I've now discovered Sukrin bread mix, which doesn't use wheat flour; only about 1g carb per slice. And it's yummy.

bri281295

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Danish white bread is great. 10g of carbs per slice. It's only 55p at Asda for a loaf

Highly recommend it

H

Hooked

I look at the side of the packets (or ask my daughter to when my eyesight isn't so great). I compare the total carbohydrates and fibre content of the breads till I find which has the highest fibre and ideally lower CHO levels. Usually the Burgen bread wins; if it's not available usually a wholegrain one with seeds and such added to it wins.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
What about Vogels wholegrain Linseed bread?

I do like that bread. I don't know what it is about Burgen but it tastes a bit weird to me.

I love Vogels. But the slices are a bit on the small side and I usually end up toasting 2 pieces. A smear of real butter and lashings of marmite.

Yum Yum....

H

Hooked

zolabud said:
What about Vogels wholegrain Linseed bread?

I do like that bread. I don't know what it is about Burgen but it tastes a bit weird to me.

I love Vogels. But the slices are a bit on the small side and I usually end up toasting 2 pieces. A smear of real butter and lashings of marmite.

Yum Yum....

I haven't seen that brand, must keep an eye out for it next time I'm shopping.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
zolabud said:
I don't know what it is about Burgen but it tastes a bit weird to me.

I toast it every-time as it tastes much better and it wakens the flavor of the seeds :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Burgen soya and linseed truly is lower carb. Check out the GI tables for breads. they show that "normal " wholemeal isn't much slower to digest than steam baked white bead.
Hana