Confirmed T2...

Gwilo

I posted in here at the beginning of June after some fasting bloods suggesting diabetes and the GP's insistence....
Finally got my Oral glucose results back an hour ago....
Fasting - 6.8
2 Hours post drink - 12.1

I am now officially T2. have yet to see what comes next - see GP on Thursday (yet another UTI/haematuria episode) and Diabetes nurse session booked for August 13th. Might see if the GP will do anything in advance of that though.

Going to have to bite th bullet and speak to my life insurance and car insurance provider - or do I wait until meds are presscribed/not prescribed?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My car insurance provider and the DVLA were not very interested in T2's. I don't have a life insurance provider so I don't know how they will react. It's worth checking up on this but I seem to remember a rule change after I notified the DVLA. I think you might not have to tell them now.

Sorry, to clarify the point. When I say not very interested I mean that it made no difference and they just accepted it as normal.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-dia ... _the_DVLA/

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gwilo,

those figures are below mine at diagnosis, you will have had two samples taken at the start of the OGTT, the second one was for your HbA1c, a crude measure of your BG control over the last 3 months. Do you know what that reading was? Assuming it is below 50 or thereabouts, diet and lifestyle changes may be all you need.

Take a look at : http://www.diabetes.co.uk/reversing-diabetes.html

Increasing exercise, losing any extra pounds, watching what carbs you eat and tempering them with low GI foods in a balanced diet may be all it takes.

As for life insurance, any existing policy should not be affected - it will have been under-written to take into account your statistical risk of developing various medical conditions when you took it out.

As for car insurance, there was a change in the law earlier this year (The Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act 2012, section 2). Your cover is now only affected if you fail to answer a direct question accurately on application or renewal. If they don't ask you "a clear and specific question" about diabetes, they cannot refuse a claim if you have it!

One caveat on the subject of what I said about car insurance. No law can be truly understood until it has been interpreted by the courts.

Gwilo

Thanks EllisB for pointing out the HbA1c figures....looked up the correlation table that is on this community and here are my figures from the OGTT:
Fasting level, pre drink = 51 (6.8 in 'old money')
2 Hours post drink = 109 (12.1 in 'old money')

These figures calculated from the 'old money' numbers I was given by the Diabetic nurse and run through the Diabetes UK conversion tool.

If the DVLA don't require notification - I've not as yet been prescribed any medication of any sort, is it therefore unreasonable to maintain I have no legal duty to inform my insurer either, as I'm T2, have no hypo's or medication that may result in a hypo, OR shall i just wait to renewal and see if it's asked about? Or just cover myself and hand over my wallet while adopting the universal position one does when dealing with insurance providers? :shock:

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You will only have had one HbA1c because it will change little in 2 hours.

Unfortunately, the old units were too similar in numbers to the mmol/l values used for BG. The 6.8 and 12.1 look very like your serum blood glucose.

Gwilo

That's what i thought too.......and thats what they where testing.
So best disregard the numbers and revert to BG.
Guess I'll have to wait for future tests to get an HbA1c...not that I'm complaining - I loathe needles!