Diagnosed T2 yesterday.

Joe-Knox

Hello Everyone

My Name is Joe, I'm 31 and was diagnosed as type 2 yesterday and put straight on to Metformin.

I know why I am diabetic, its to do with my lack of exercise, my awful eating habits and the fact the I weigh 20 1/2 stone.

My initial suspicion was when I did a pin prick test with my sisters one day for fun and was confronted with a reading of 30.2! So I figured it was time to see the docs. Anyway yesterday was D-day (quite literally) and I was told in no uncertain terms that if I did not change my lifestyle drastically I would be very prematurely dead! My fasting glucose in the bloods came back as 14.7 and my HbA1c came in at 89 which I understand should be closer to the 40 mark? In addition I was told that I have hypertension, high cholesterol, the heart of a 59 year old, a 1 in 10 chance of a heart attack or stroke in the next ten years and that my liver isn't functioning correctly and will require further investigation. I guess I have come here for advice on how I fix things and where I go from here really, I know weight loss is key at the minute but I need to do it without upsetting the things going on inside me and there's no better source of information than from those going through it too after all.

I think I'm really struggling with it due to the fact that my dad died in April and to be confronted with your own mortality at a relatively young age and so soon after something like that is really quite difficult. I don't have kids but I know that I want them and I would like see them grow up and become adults some day. I know there is no guarantees in life but I guess I just have to sway the odds more in my favour than against :)

nicola38

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi Joe welcome your not alone we are mostly here for the same reason. just take it one day at a time and eat smaller potions do a bit of light exercise and take your meds and you should be down with your bs levels and bp levels n even your hb1ac will be lower. hope this helps you a bit

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Welcome Joe, sorry to hear about you're problems but you've taken the first big step and seeked medical attention. I guess you were only satisfying what you already knew. Many of the problems you've mentioned can be improved if you've got the right attitude and determination. You need to reduce your intake of carbs and try to get some exercise. This will lead to weight loss.
I am unaware of your current levels of fitness etc so I would speak to your doc before you make any major chNges to your lifestyle but even going for a walk is a good start. Make small changes and you will eventually start to see results. Good luck and please keep us updated !
Mo

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Hi Joe
It can be overwhelming, its been just over a week for me and I can say the first few days my head was all over the place, through reading this forum and asking questions I don't feel as bad now, yes it still worries me as it should I guess.

On the plus side your doing something about it now and it will take time but through diet, exercise and medication you can improve your health. Daisy will probably be along soon and give you some advice.

Take care of yourself and keep asking questions.

Mark

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Joe. Sorry to hear about all your troubles but the good news is that you are overweight, unfit and have bad eating habits. I say good because it means you can have a large impact quickly. Any exercise at all will help and it doesn't have to be strenuous (benefit of being unfit). Try going for a walk after every (small) meal, that should help use up the glucose and stop you carrying on eating. Bad news is that you will get fitter and lose weight and so will need more exercise - but your cholesterol and bg should have come down.

Cut out as much sugar and carbohydrates as you can. No sugary breakfasts, large amounts of bread, potatoes, puddings. Generally eat less. When I started doing that I immediately felt better, had more energy and slept better, but I don't know how much was due to panic. Odd what doesn't affect blood glucose levels though, I have bacon or mackeral and eggs for breakfast.

Are you self testing, helps to see what affect things have.

Best of luck.

Netty70

Joe-Knox said:
Hello Everyone

My Name is Joe, I'm 31 and was diagnosed as type 2 yesterday and put straight on to Metformin.

I know why I am diabetic, its to do with my lack of exercise, my awful eating habits and the fact the I weigh 20 1/2 stone.

My initial suspicion was when I did a pin prick test with my sisters one day for fun and was confronted with a reading of 30.2! So I figured it was time to see the docs. Anyway yesterday was D-day (quite literally) and I was told in no uncertain terms that if I did not change my lifestyle drastically I would be very prematurely dead! My fasting glucose in the bloods came back as 14.7 and my HbA1c came in at 89 which I understand should be closer to the 40 mark? In addition I was told that I have hypertension, high cholesterol, the heart of a 59 year old, a 1 in 10 chance of a heart attack or stroke in the next ten years and that my liver isn't functioning correctly and will require further investigation. I guess I have come here for advice on how I fix things and where I go from here really, I know weight loss is key at the minute but I need to do it without upsetting the things going on inside me and there's no better source of information than from those going through it too after all.

I think I'm really struggling with it due to the fact that my dad died in April and to be confronted with your own mortality at a relatively young age and so soon after something like that is really quite difficult. I don't have kids but I know that I want them and I would like see them grow up and become adults some day. I know there is no guarantees in life but I guess I just have to sway the odds more in my favour than against :)

Hi joe
Welcome to the forum
Sounds like you went to the docs at the right time
This forum is great you will find lots of the answers you need people are really caring and helpful
Sorry about your dad :-( my dad passed away in may so I know how you feel
But your diagnosis is the start of your new life as you come to terms with it all you can start to tackle everything else I:e diet and exercise but baby steps
Good luck
Look forward to hearing your progress
Take care

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Joe. So sorry to hear about your troubles and the loss of your father. You seem to have the right attitide in wanting to improve your health and that is half the battle. You have a long road ahead of you but everyone here will support you so keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on. If you feel like having a big whinge about everything we are here for that too:smile:

Onwards and upwards

Joe-Knox

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, this might actually be the nicest forum that I have ever joined :)

Seems this new start stuff is quite literal, I got an email today offering me a job so things are starting to look up already.

I'm really sorry for you loss too Netty :(

charon said:

I'm not at the minute, I have a monitor but really need the test strips but until I start working I can't really afford them. It is something that I definitely want to do though just to actually see the effect that what I am eating is actually making and then making the most effective changes to get my BG lower :)

Netty70

Joe-Knox said:
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, this might actually be the nicest forum that I have ever joined :)

Seems this new start stuff is quite literal, I got an email today offering me a job so things are starting to look up already.

I'm really sorry for you loss too Netty :(

charon said:

I'm not at the minute, I have a monitor but really need the test strips but until I start working I can't really afford them. It is something that I definitely want to do though just to actually see the effect that what I am eating is actually making and then making the most effective changes to get my BG lower :)

Thanks joe
Tough times :-(
Can you not get your testing strips and needles on prescription I've been really lucky with an amazing DN who sorted everything for me
Well done on the job :) :)

Joe-Knox

Tough times indeed but I know my dad would be furious if I let this beat me.

I was led to believe that the strips had been removed from the prescribed list? If not I'll speak to my GP about getting hold of some but I'm still waiting on an XPert referral so might get more sense from then.

Thanks very much, I definitely needed something to focus on and this fits the bill :)

Netty70

Joe-Knox said:
Tough times indeed but I know my dad would be furious if I let this beat me.

I was led to believe that the strips had been removed from the prescribed list? If not I'll speak to my GP about getting hold of some but I'm still waiting on an XPert referral so might get more sense from then.

Thanks very much, I definitely needed something to focus on and this fits the bill :)

I get everything on prescription
Good luck hope you have a nice doc :)

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I was diagnosed around 6 weeks back and knew nothing of diabetes. I didn't even know what the difference between Type 1 and Type 2.

I was told in 2008 that I was 'on the brink' of becoming \type 2 but wasn't given any dietary advice which I think sucks. I joined this site straightaway but wasn't really interested....

6 weeks later I know a lot more and if it wasn't for the support and the fun of this lovely forum I wouldn't have picked up so much good info.

On the question of a meter you may be lucky and your diabetic nurse or your doctor may give you a meter and a script for strips and lancets.
There are a number of companies who will happily send you out a free meter with 10 strips and lancets to get you started and basically what all these companies are after is a repeat prescription on the strips. Every meter has its own specific strip. And that is the costly part of testing. Strips cost around £23 for 50 from chemists. Prices will very but that price is for the Glucomen device which is my device of choice.
When my Glucomen meter turned up I was sure I wouldn't get a script from my doctor so I went onto E Bay and spent £17 on a tub of 50 strips. When I had my first Diabetic nurse appointment I was amazed when she said she would prescribe them. Each different device comes with a letter to your GP with details of the prescription. You give that to your GP and just get your script. Out of interest I rang my local chemist and asked the price of Glucomen XL strips and they were £23 for 50. Folk often sell their excess strips on E Bay. Just be a bit careful of the expiry dates.

Companies you can contact are: Glucomen ( Recommended by me) Bayer. Abbot. Just Google them and there is always a 'Request a meter' facility. Fill in your details and you are away.

As I said,see if your diabetic nurse has any meters. It is a postcode lottery and it will depend on where you live to whether you will get one or not.

If you don't get one... Order one anyway from any of the above companies. Then maybe buy some strips from E Bay. You will test,test,test for the first few weeks but when you get an idea of how different foods effect your blood sugar levels you may only need to test now and again.

Good luck. And keep us posted.

I can't believe how much I have learned in 6 weeks....