A welcome relief

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Thanks for the reply folks. I am feeling much better today, my pre-meal bloods have never been below 5.2 and never higher than 6.3. Post meal have always been below 8, apart from once when it peaked at 10.0 after exercise it dropped back to 5.4 (i have been thinking since that 10.0 could have been a rouge reading). I have only been testing since Saturday mind you so time will tell how things are going.

I honestly think that my body is still getting used to this diet and halving your carb intake and cutting out the addictive sugar must have some effect. Also I think I have sorted the hunger feeling, I eat a lot of iceberg lettuce now with most meals and i do feel full. Still intend to take up my doctors offer to refer me to a dietician to see what they think.

take care folks
Mark

GetUnconscious

Netty70 said:
GetUnconscious said:
My levels can go so low! I still function fairly normally at 2! I've had readings of less than 1 before (from a paramedic mind you) haha.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Wow I get near four and the shakes start lower than 4 and I get disorientated
Scary
Haven't bought the peanut butter yet :)

It's quite weird. It's hard to explain but it's almost like I bypass the shakes etc somehow and go into a prolonged hypo. I've had them at work before and only realised when a colleague asked if I was okay because I seemed a bit more quiet than usual! When I tested my sugar I was 1.7! I had some sugar immediately and tested again straight away but I got the same result the second time.

When I went to my group clinic sessions I found that I was injecting much more than other diabetics. I'm injecting less now but still more than people in that session! I'm starting to think that I may have normalised myself to dangerously low blood sugars. It's crazy.

Netty70

GetUnconscious said:
Netty70 said:
GetUnconscious said:
My levels can go so low! I still function fairly normally at 2! I've had readings of less than 1 before (from a paramedic mind you) haha.

Wow I get near four and the shakes start lower than 4 and I get disorientated
Scary
Haven't bought the peanut butter yet :)

It's quite weird. It's hard to explain but it's almost like I bypass the shakes etc somehow and go into a prolonged hypo. I've had them at work before and only realised when a colleague asked if I was okay because I seemed a bit more quiet than usual! When I tested my sugar I was 1.7! I had some sugar immediately and tested again straight away but I got the same result the second time.

When I went to my group clinic sessions I found that I was injecting much more than other diabetics. I'm injecting less now but still more than people in that session! I'm starting to think that I may have normalised myself to dangerously low blood sugars. It's crazy.

What I find crazy is how different we all are like I have been eating weetabix for breakfast everyone else goes high it makes me go low..... Random

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
I went to a dietician and she insisted that I had plenty of carbs with every meal and to make sure that I had something "starchy" before I went to bed. I have now ignored all her advice and consequently my BS are very stable. I do allow myself an occasional treat. I had 5 chips with my dinner last night and my BS went up to 6.0 :)

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
I went to se my DN yesterday and she sat and listened to why I was testing and why i had cut my carbs and surprisingly she didn't start yelling or making grumpy noises. She looked at my meal chart and my Blood sugar results and seen the results. Instead she went through my menu to see where we could improve it a little. She then went on about chasing up the DESMOND referral and arranging my other checks. She actually pointed me in the direction of diabetes.co.uk :) and told me this site was full of good information. I told her I was already registered and the good folk here are helping a great deal.

Since being diagnosed just over a week ago, my blood glucose have only been higher than 8.5 twice and both of those foods are off the menu now. The thing i really need to concentrate on is weight loss, I have started this week to bulk out my sandwhiches with lettuce I like the crunchy iceberg stuff and I am often full now from one sandwich. At some point I may try cutting out bread all together but I would need to find an alternative, cause I love a sandwich. I am walking for half an hour each day now and as my body gets used to the route and I no longer need to crawl the last 10 yards :lol: I will try the old boy scout method of run 20 steps walk 20 steps. Just trying to build up slowly.

Anyways sorry for yakkin so long just though I would update you all on the start of my second week as a type 2 diabetic.

Mark

Netty70

zaphod37 said:
I went to se my DN yesterday and she sat and listened to why I was testing and why i had cut my carbs and surprisingly she didn't start yelling or making grumpy noises. She looked at my meal chart and my Blood sugar results and seen the results. Instead she went through my menu to see where we could improve it a little. She then went on about chasing up the DESMOND referral and arranging my other checks. She actually pointed me in the direction of diabetes.co.uk :) and told me this site was full of good information. I told her I was already registered and the good folk here are helping a great deal.

Since being diagnosed just over a week ago, my blood glucose have only been higher than 8.5 twice and both of those foods are off the menu now. The thing i really need to concentrate on is weight loss, I have started this week to bulk out my sandwhiches with lettuce I like the crunchy iceberg stuff and I am often full now from one sandwich. At some point I may try cutting out bread all together but I would need to find an alternative, cause I love a sandwich. I am walking for half an hour each day now and as my body gets used to the route and I no longer need to crawl the last 10 yards :lol: I will try the old boy scout method of run 20 steps walk 20 steps. Just trying to build up slowly.

Anyways sorry for yakkin so long just though I would update you all on the start of my second week as a type 2 diabetic.

Mark

Sounds like your doing really well mark keep it up
I love my bread too but don't really have sandwiches today I had a small tin of sardines in tomato sauce on a piece of burgen bread mmmm yummy
Worth a try for something different :)

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Thanks Netty, yes it kind of worries me if I eat too much bread even the burgen so i try to limit it and make small changes each week. Next week I am switching to a sweetener for my coffee, either stevia or splenda I don't know which one yet.

Mark

Just an edit to say I went on my usual walk today and at the end there are about 30 steps leading down to a wee harbour, so I thought why not, i descended the steps as quickly as possible, turned round and came back up them as quick as I could. I got to the top and was so exhausted i had to sit on bench for 5 minutes. Lesson for today, If you get to the end of your exercise and cant whisper the word 'Paramedic', you have probably done too much :oops: :lol:

Netty70

zaphod37 said:
Thanks Netty, yes it kind of worries me if I eat too much bread even the burgen so i try to limit it and make small changes each week. Next week I am switching to a sweetener for my coffee, either stevia or splenda I don't know which one yet.

Mark

Just an edit to say I went on my usual walk today and at the end there are about 30 steps leading down to a wee harbour, so I thought why not, i descended the steps as quickly as possible, turned round and came back up them as quick as I could. I got to the top and was so exhausted i had to sit on bench for 5 minutes. Lesson for today, If you get to the end of your exercise and cant whisper the word 'Paramedic', you have probably done too much :oops: :lol:

Hahaha well done try not to overdo it build it up gradually
I am a Zumba fanatic and go 5 times a week but I have been going for over a year but I now have a snack before I leave and take my glucose tablets with me as before my Sunday class I was 10.8 an hour later I was 4.3 starting with the shakes
So be careful
I have tescos own brand of sweetener just to go on my cereal and you don't need a lot it's very sweet :)