MILK and Diabetes

naylorm0098

I also read about pasta rice and potatoes having to go or suffer a slow painful death I don't understand how all you low carb people are not constantly in hypoglycaemic state my main diet is white bread potatoes baked mashed or boiled many pasta dishes and vegetables with plenty of meat. Being diabetic does not have to be so harrowing eat well, exercise and take your insulin to keep your BG levels down. I have 35g carbs for breakfast alone and my earlier post was incorrect I actually have 285g carbs per day.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's really quite easy for those of us not on insulin as hypoglycaemia isn't an issue for the most part - and even for type 2 diabetics on insulin, the dosage can be modified to suit the amount of carbs, especially if you have a doctors help.

If you want to find out more, I'd highly recommend Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution.

If you haven't already seen it, there's a good introduction on this site in the newly diagnosed section:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=26870

Not everyone wants to take medications when there is an another solution to their problem, especially since we'd then have to deal with hypoglycaemia, injections and all sorts of other issues that insulin dependant diabetics face.

Personal choice until we don't have any other choice but to take medication.

naylorm0098

I never had a choice with insulin and have injected myself for 30 years and would find it difficult to cut down on carbs now. I don't know much about diet only control but that sounds much harder to control and much more strict on what you can eat. Nice to learn about other types of diabetes and control.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Naylorm

It is possible,if you are still able to produce your own insulin to also take one of the newer drugs like Byetta, Bydureon or Victosa. These have helped Type 2 diabetics to reduce or stop their insulin. Indy's advice about tide reduction in carbs is sensible as if you eat fewer carbs you can reduce the amount if insulin you need to inject. Courses such as DAFNE are good if you want to inject to your eating rather than eat to your injecting. Of course, Indy is a not necessarily correct over the effects of using medication. I have none of the problems mentioned and an HbA1c in the fives and a moderate carb consumption. We are all different.

Regards

Doug

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a bit unclear as to whether you are Type 1 or Type 2, Naylorm?

The American Diabetes Association sets a boundary at 130g / day see Section E, Medical Nutritional Therapy:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/conten ... 1/S11.full

"It should be noted that the RDA for digestible carbohydrate is 130 g/day and is based on providing adequate glucose as the required fuel for the central nervous system without reliance on glucose production from ingested protein or fat. Although brain fuel needs can be met on lower-carbohydrate diets, long-term metabolic effects of very-low-carbohydrate diets are unclear, and such diets eliminate many foods that are important sources of energy, fiber, vitamins, and minerals and that are important in dietary palatability."

I happen to strongly disagree with their statement about long-term metabolic effects of very-low-carb diets etc, but that's another story :twisted:

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Indy.

In the light of the earlier exaggerated statement on the problems of medication, perhaps you would like to give us the evidence that backs up your beliefs on the long-term use of very low carb diets. Can you point us in the direction of the studies that the American Diabetes Association do not appear to know about. Confusion between purely personal views and evidence based views is not helpful.

Regards

Doug

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Osidge said:
Indy.

In the light of the earlier exaggerated statement on the problems of medication, perhaps you would like to give us the evidence that backs up your beliefs on the long-term use of very low carb diets. Can you point us in the direction of the studies that the American Diabetes Association do not appear to know about. Confusion between purely personal views and evidence based views is not helpful.

Regards

Doug
All I said about medication was as follows:
Indy51 said:
It's really quite easy for those of us not on insulin as hypoglycaemia isn't an issue for the most part - and even for type 2 diabetics on insulin, the dosage can be modified to suit the amount of carbs, especially if you have a doctors help.

Not everyone wants to take medications when there is an another solution to their problem, especially since we'd then have to deal with hypoglycaemia, injections and all sorts of other issues that insulin dependant diabetics face.

Personal choice until we don't have any other choice but to take medication.

Can you please point out exactly what I've said is "exaggerated"? I've seen many posts at this and various other forums about the issues Type 1s have, just as an example, with carrying their equipment everywhere they go, being barred entry to places because they're carrying hypodermics (ridiculous of course but there's a post on this forum about that very subject), adjusting their insulin dosage to avoid hypos and many other issues, including the psychological.

I applaud anyone who manages their diabetes successfully, no matter how they do it. If my type 2 progresses to the stage where I can no longer control it with diet, I will be seeing my GP about medication because I firmly believe that stable BG levels are the key to successully living with diabetes. If I implied that I think there's anything wrong with taking medication, I'm very sorry, but that was certainly not my intent.

I'm not going to write a screed citing all sorts of research because I don't have the time or the incination. If you really want that sort of detail, I'd suggest you do some research on pubmed or read the book 'The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living' by Drs Volek & Phinney:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Science-C ... ate+living

And frankly, to me Dr Bernstein at his advanced age after following his own principles of low carbohydrate BG/insulin dosage control is more 'living proof' than any amount of research can prove or dispute.

I think I'm done with this thread now. My apologies if I've offended anyone.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Indy

I only challenged your post as we need to give people the benefit of fact or our own experience - being careful not to confuse the two.

On medications you said:

"Not everyone wants to take medications when there is an another solution to their problem, especially since we'd then have to deal with hypoglycaemia, injections and all sorts of other issues that insulin dependant diabetics face."

That us not what all users of medications will have to face. Some may but some may not. Your posting does not make that clear. It makes problems a foregone conclusion.

On the factual evidence for the long-term effects of a very low carb diet - there is so little out there of any merit. You mention Dr Bernstein but his life is a study of one person - not statistically significant, as we are all different.

Just trying to avoid confusion.

Regards

Doug

princeasl

Thank you all for your comments, time, experiences, I really appreciate it, I'm sorry I've been away for a while... Still reading through, but again, sincerely thanks so much...it all helps..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Good to have you back

Doug

princeasl

Thanks Doug, just ordered up some lacto free milk, going to try this as apparently has a lot less sugar... However been informed it tastes sweeter, but much lower in sugar as I love milk... :) So will post the difference here... :)

elaine77

Hi there all,

Just thought I would give my opinion on the low carb thing - I haven't cut all my carbs out, what I have done is switched all my carbs to low GI carbs and my BG is fine with that, if ever it became uncontrollable then I would carb cut but if its not necessary for you individually then there's no necessity to do it... Meters and testing just can't be encouraged enough as every persons diabetes really is different!

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

lukkymik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The opposites of above!!!!
Sorry but ive just come back to this thread and im not in the least bit suprised there is so much confusion on here!!! Will everyone PLEASE stop and remember the most important thing on here.... Type 1 & Type 2 Diabetes are Two Different Diseases requiring different medical, treatment and eating regimes. Yes some things such as Metformin and certain insulins are prescribed for both but how certain foods etc affect the 2 types can be very different!!! Please dont quote chapter an verse on certain research as being "Right" and to the person who stated this is a Type 1 forum I think the thread started as a query re newly diagnosed Type 2!!!. Yes please give your opinions but dont quote confusing and sometimes irrelevant research as it just doesnt help someone who is scared fartless having just been diagnosed. I understand... We're all just trying to help ..... But!!!!!

Netty70

lukkymik said:
Sorry but ive just come back to this thread and im not in the least bit suprised there is so much confusion on here!!! Will everyone PLEASE stop and remember the most important thing on here.... Type 1 & Type 2 Diabetes are Two Different Diseases requiring different medical, treatment and eating regimes. Yes some things such as Metformin and certain insulins are prescribed for both but how certain foods etc affect the 2 types can be very different!!! Please dont quote chapter an verse on certain research as being "Right" and to the person who stated this is a Type 1 forum I think the thread started as a query re newly diagnosed Type 2!!!. Yes please give your opinions but dont quote confusing and sometimes irrelevant research as it just doesnt help someone who is scared fartless having just been diagnosed. I understand... We're all just trying to help ..... But!!!!!

Hi lukkymik
I was quite interested to read what you said it can be very difficult especially when your new to it all like me I tend not to read anything relating to type one as I can just about get my head round mine without another :)

lukkymik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The opposites of above!!!!
Hi Netty.... I totally agree with you and it would be so much easier if there was a way of tagging or listing Forums questions/comments with either Type 1 or Type 2. In this way it would be far easier for Newbies to pick and choose which threads to follow. I'm not saying people deliberately highjack threads for their own ends but its quite obvious some people jump in half way through without reading all the comments first!!!

I will admit to having done that myself when I first joined up but that was before I was aware of the differenced between 1 & 2!"!

I hope we can all help each other through our own experiences without pontificating about irrellevant small scale surveys that are ambiguous to say the least.

Heres hoping we can all be mutually helpfull to each other!!

Mike

Netty70

lukkymik said:
Hi Netty.... I totally agree with you and it would be so much easier if there was a way of tagging or listing Forums questions/comments with either Type 1 or Type 2. In this way it would be far easier for Newbies to pick and choose which threads to follow. I'm not saying people deliberately highjack threads for their own ends but its quite obvious some people jump in half way through without reading all the comments first!!!

I will admit to having done that myself when I first joined up but that was before I was aware of the differenced between 1 & 2!"!

I hope we can all help each other through our own experiences without pontificating about irrellevant small scale surveys that are ambiguous to say the least.

Heres hoping we can all be mutually helpfull to each other!!

Mike

:):):)

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
Brown rice is not good for BG, it's just less bad than white rice, because the carb is absorbed a bit more slowly. I use "rice" made from Konjac (Eat Water Slim Rice from Ocado and H&B). It's not rice at all, and it has a slippery texture with no flavour, but it does the job of balancing a curry or chilli, giving you fibre but no carbs and no calories.

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
How are you with rice Netty ? I'm asking you because you, like me have lows after Weetabix. Rice sends my BS sky high :(

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Whole milk is better or diabetics than anything with the fat reduced. If you remove the fat from milk, you effectiveely "concentrate the sugars.
Cream is sugar free!
Hana