Flexlink cannulas for accuchek combo

weeezer

Having some trouble with flexlink cannulas. Would love to hear others experiences of them. I have used rapid d cannulas since getting the Accu chek combo last August. Never had a problem.

My mum recently got a pump and is using flexlink cannulas, I loved the fact they were smaller, could be worn for an extra day, easier to remove and when pump not attached just a flat cannula instead of a dangly connector bit. So I tried one, loved it, so ordered some from Roche. The introducer/inserter thingy was out of stock so am waiting for that, but instructions say can manually insert, so that's what I have been doing.

But my blood glucose levels are suffering badly. I had a bad episode the other day which I put down to using a temporary reduced basal rate during a spin class (having not done any classes since getting the pump!) But later that day I felt awful and after 2 correction boluses my bg was sky high and had ketones (around 8 according to the ketostix). Used a pen in the end and narrowly avoided a hospital trip, felt absolutely awful, very sick & dehydrated.

I've had a couple of bent cannulas which I only noticed on removal. Last night had another bad episode, ended up vomiting and struggling to breathe. Weeing a lot & extremely thirsty. Ketones 8+ again. Shoved insulin in via pen and felt much better after a few pints of water and a couple of hours had passed. A kinked cannula was the culprit.

Gone back to rapid d's today, but what do other flexlink users think? Should I try again when the inserter thingy arrives? Or are they really not worth the bother? I'm not liking how quickly things can go wrong with a pump :( it's scary.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi weezer my son James has been on the pump a year at end of August and just realised how quick that time has gone. He was put on the flex link cannulas from the word go but we do know about the rapid D's . He was given the link assist and has never had any problems with kinking. It sounds to me that it is the technique in inserting the cannula and the link assist does it at the right angle so I guess that is the cause of your high BG's . Why not try and borrow your Mum's for one trial insertion to see how that works. I think you will find that will solve your problem. James tends to have high BG's during exercise so has to increase a TBR then has to take off after 2 hours as he drops quickly later on which can last for some time. We are continually learning. Where is your pump when you are spinning. We got James a Spiebelt when footy training and it's the best thing ever as he never takes the pump off . He puts cannulas on tummy or lower back. He also has to change his cannula every 2 days as his BG's tend to rise after that and his infusion insulin last only 5 days. He thought it was a bit of a chore at the beginning but now it's part of his daily routine. Hope you get the problem sorted. :thumbup:

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When first on pump used flex link. Did not find them very good really. Put it down to being very active with it in and it had trouble staying put! Maybe ok for someone less active. It either came out completely or bent resulting in the insulin leaking out and not getting put in me. Have used the rapid ds ever since and not had that problem at all. Like u I preffered having the flex link as it was flatter but tried for 2 weeks and decided to stay on rapid ds.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been using FlexLink 8mm sets for about a year, moved from Rapid D's, I've never had an issue either manually or using the Link Assist. I'm also very active too.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Chronic with flexlink when doing my job as gardener... Rapid d's very rarely a problem unless I unwittingly hit blood and very rarely get the blood coming back up the tube.. But I know this before the occlusion bell rings as levels will go up quickly.

sarah88

I haven't tried the rapid d's but I use 6mm flex links and no matter what I'm doing its perfect. When I was trialling a pump I manually inserted a flex link though and it just didn't work at all, completely bent.

I only use the inserter now, even if it still scares me!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

franclegg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I too had problem after having my pump fitted. This was because no one advise me of the Link Assist insertion tool. I went trough more cannulas and lines than was funny. I rang Roche and spoke to a nurse who told me that i should have been given a link assist. Once i started using the insertion tool (over 12 months ago) i havent had any issues at all. :D