Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
T2, on no meds hba1c results 71 through 58 to recent 43. I just can't cope with Diabetic regime anymore. My diet has crashed and burned, I don't smoke nor drink alcohol, never did like salads, nuts and oaty things. I like chips, pasta, rice and sugary things. I read the other day that prawns are not that good for us??

So, I've quit it all and gone back to my old diet, what will happen to me? Will I end up T1, what is Diabetes likely to throw back at me, can anyone tell me please. How long will it take for anything to go wrong?

Kind regards,

Q..

Mr Happy

But your hba1c suggests you are doing the right things and once you become T1 you've no quit option! The option after that is pain, dehydration, hypos, fear of hypos, amputation, renal or eyesight failure, death!

Mmm chips!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well you could die from diabetic complications!!! Seriously you're just having a bad day, we all have them. Something will happen to get you back on track. Treat yourself now and again, its a bloody bummer, just remember that how we eat now isn't what we are meant to eat, its lazy food, stack your fridge with bits n pieces, salami, nice cheese, pickled onions, the occasional wrap with nice chicken - honest fill it with salad and salsa it will taste good. Think its the mouth feel too, of biscuits etc.
Wishing you well.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
My brother just died 3 month ago, T1 and a two time amputee. But, my GP told me I will not go from T2 to T1 in my lifespan, it was just after then that I gave up and went back to my old ways.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Ultimately, if your hba1c is raised and you can't get it down by diet, you'll be put on meds and eventually insulin. This may not be a bad thing.....insulin does give a lot of freedom as you can try and emulate a healthy person to some extent, injecting insulin to cover carbs and this can include a moderate amount of sweet things. It can lead to weight gain though and of course hypos which are never fun (plus the added stress of trying to avoid hypos by not taking too much insulin).

But if you really can't cope with a restricted diet this may be an eventual option

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Thanks for the support but this is truly much more than a bad day, I really can't do this no more, not one day..

B

badcat

You can't go from T2 to T1 - the mechanisms of the 2 diseases are different
You can go from a well controlled T2 to a badly controlledvT2 with increased risk of complications and / or medications with increased risk factors
Sorry to be so blunt but thems the cards we've been dealt and we all ignore them at our peril

nicola38

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi q007 things seems like that now but in time you'll be fine i am t2 too most days i feel like giving up but then it hit me i got an aunt who had ampitee too. and i say to my self i dont want to loose any of my limps and go blind and pull myself togather with the help of my therapists n friends okay so just take it, it small steps and you will feel and get stronger hope my words help you a bit to rethink ok nicole

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Come on Q, ya can't quit, well you can but must face the consequence. You are having a bad day, you're still in mourning too, so go easy on yourself.

Mr Happy

Sorry to hear about your brother and it sounds like it's hitting you hard. For all the pain that it has left behind then that's the impact your loss would have. As has been said, have a treat, maybe do a 5:2 type thing but please don't give up...

Unbeliever

Q007 said:
T2, on no meds hba1c results 71 through 58 to recent 43. I just can't cope with Diabetic regime anymore. My diet has crashed and burned, I don't smoke nor drink alcohol, never did like salads, nuts and oaty things. I like chips, pasta, rice and sugary things. I read the other day that prawns are not that good for us??

So, I've quit it all and gone back to my old diet, what will happen to me? Will I end up T1, what is Diabetes likely to throw back at me, can anyone tell me please. How long will it take for anything to go wrong?

Kind regards,

Q..
Hi, did you go from chips pasta rice ec sraight o cuting all these things out completely? Or did you do it gradually checking how many carbs you are able to tolerate/
Maybe you can olerate a few more now hat you have been so successful wih reducing your numbers.
have you thought of re-introducing some carbs one sort at a ime and testing? Your insulin resistance may have improved and you may be surprised. Its all about finding a level hats sustainable for you. otherwise you will have wasted all your hard work - maybe unnecessarily. In fact you may even find your tastes have altered a litle. but we ll know how you feel1

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Q007 said:

Kind regards,

Q..
It is hard mate. I found the best way of not missing the things I really enjoy (same things as you, but no meat) is to have them in reduced amounts and not all the time. The hardest diet to keep up is one you don't enjoy. When I went on the Weight Watchers diet I was surprised to discover that there was no such thing as a banned food. All you had to do was cut down on the amounts.

I took a friend out on Saturday, my 60th birthday, to treat her to a meal at our fav pub. I was going to have roasted butternut squash curry which comes with a lot of rice. For my pud I would have had home made rice pud with jam and clotted cream. I say would have had because there was a wedding party on and they wern't doing meals! My friend had a sandwich, I had a plate of chips, lots of Heinz tom sauce with two slices of b and b to make chip butties. Not a very diabetic friendly meal I grant you, but stuff it all, it was my birthday and I deserve it! So do you Q. Have a bad day, eat what will make you happy, then try to get back on track. If it really is the end of trying then can you at least post now and then to let us know how things are?

Best wishes. Lee

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I have just done a Tesco online shop and my only monthly weakness is a large value strawberry trifle for 89p. It is sweet... It has custard and cream on top and it is LOVELY.

Then I went back on my order and cancelled the... trifle (sniff) and bought 12 pots of reduced sugar jelly. ( 4 posts for £2. Ordered 3 varieties therefore 12 pots and £6.)

That was my only weakness.

Oh... And a litre of Smirnoff,4 litres of sugar free lemonade and 4 lemons and 4 limes.

In my defense I no longer drink watered down Rose wine.

Just the odd vodka and lemonade which tastes rank but it's better for me.

I ordered my usual stack of veg and fruit,(all carefully vetted) No bananas... Bought a large bag of almonds,avocados and higher fat items that I would never normally eat.

This is still a huge learning curve after what seems like a long month. But it will be worth it I know.

Chin up. Have a blast for a few days and you may shake off your feelings.

Whatever you decide to do keep us posted on your progress.

You aren't the only one to feel like it's all not worth it.

But it is... It really is.

Hugs.

Zola.

:wave: :wave: :thumbup:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,Q007.

You are a Business Consultant, that can sort out any business in trouble that think they have hit rock bottom.

This is your personnel problem that you have to fix in the way you think best.

If you take your own advice and act accordingly you will win.

I wish you every success in everything you achieve.

Right or wrong there is a lot of people out there that need your help a little more than you think.

Good luck,

Roy, :)

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Q007

The loss of your brother is still very recent and you are still at an early stage of grieving. Please give yourself the time and self-care you need to get through this. If you need more support, there are bereavement helplines and organisations that can help, so don't feel too uneasy about picking up the phone and asking for help. Your GP may be able to help too.

It must be even worse to be living with diabetes when your brother suffered so horribly with complications, but that doesn't mean you will. My sister's husband was diagnosed diabetic over 20 years ago but was probably undiagnosed for at least 10 years before that, and had complications since that time. I know that feeling of sensing that you are resigned to some horrible fate, and that sense of helplessness and hopelessness, but it doesn't have to be that way. You have already proven to yourself that you can control this condition, and by doing so you can avoid the worst case scenario. So please don't give up on yourself.

It's a common reaction to want to comfort yourself with food, especially after a major bereavement. We associate food with love and family occasions, and it's an understandable reaction. You need to be quite robust in spirit to stick to the self discipline of dietary control too, so perhaps bear that in mind. Accept that it's tough but you'll get to that place again. Just start with one small step at a time, one day at a time.

The earliest stages of grief are the most difficult and there is no shortcut, but please be assured that the worst will pass, and you will start to think about getting your diet back under control. In fact, I suspect that desire to get back to your previous success is lurking in there somewhere. If you had really given up you wouldn't have posted at all! So you haven't given up by any means.

It's tough, but you will get there. You've done it before! You'll do it again and if you need a bit of help to get there, there are plenty of good people here that will be rooting for you. Be kind to yourself, it's OK to feel like you do right now. Grief can feel unbearable at times but it gets easier. The first year is the worst, with all those anniversaries, birthdays, memories associated with certain times of year–so be prepared. But it gets easier and there will come a time when you will feel better.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am so sorry about the loss of your brother. It is completely normal and understandable to feel as you do now. After my father died I didn't care about anything, including diabetes. It can feel tough enough to maintain when everything in life is going smoothly but seems a much heavier birden to bear when we are stressed or in emotional upheaval. Please don't try to carry the burden alone. Talk things out with someone: a friend_ family member or therapist. The diet is a lot different to what you were used to and big changes are hard, especially when they are thrust upon us. As mentioned in a previous post, introduce changes gradually. Do allow yourself the occasional naughty treat if it helps. Any diet that feels too restrictive will make people break out or give up. It's part of the human condition to want freedom of choice. On a darker note, however much you hate diabetes now it will seem like a stroll in the park compared with life dealing with complications. Healthy choices you make now will make things better and will also give you a feeling of control. "If you are not riding the wave, you are under it" You can control your diabetes and not allow it to control you. Complications are a scary proposition but by no means a foregone conclusion. A man who lives a couple of miles from me had t2 for 40 odd years and died recently at the age of 96 of old age. No complications; you are hurting a lot right now but please don't give up.

SpaceChick

I totally understand the grief and where you are coming from. So sad that you've lost your brother.

However, here is my family tale. My Grandfather had to have his leg amputated due to diabetes complications, he was 70 and died from the trauma of it all. My Mum was 45, and losing her Dad affected her greatly and she too went through a stage of grief where she was eating chocolate, eating crisps, drinking soft drinks, eating desserts etc etc. She had a heart attack due to badly controlled diabetes, then another, the surgeons said she needed a quadruple bypass... She had it, she never came out of intensive care. We lost her at 46. I was 26.

I am now 39 and type 2 myself, and I am going to do everything in my power to stay healthy for sake of my family.

I know you are going through a hard time, but the reality is.... If you don't get back on track you will kill yourself :(

Be strong.

Reactions: Gargoyletaz
Hi Q007. I really sympathise with you on this as I have struggled too. I've been a type 1 for 30years and its been ups and downs all the way no matter how hard I try. Things that happen around you make you just feel like what's the point and throwing the towel in but trust me it will get better. I have already started to suffer from complications and am not even 40!! I am on 5 injections a day and struggle now with everyone because my brain is telling me its had enough of injecting, but I know how ill I will be without it and how difficult it will be for those around me. So, I have agreed to try an insulin pump and am truely terrified now I have a date of 13th August. That said I know that looking after myself is important, I have gone through weeks or even months of doing what I like and honestly? It gets you nowhere and makes you feel bad - made me get more depressed so the time has come to take control no matter how scarey it is. I really hope this helps and gets you through the dark days - you know you can do it (and it just shows you how much better you are than those who moan about life and don't even have our specialness!!). Good luck and keep on with it :wave:

Maris

You can't quit, you have T2 diabetes and thats it. It's horrible having something you hate but you don't have stop eating what you like. Make the fatty/sugary (delicious! :D ) junk treats and earn them..cycle to the cake shop! It depends on where your at and it sounds like you're pretty low but it WILL pass. Look at the food you like or may like and turn it in to a healthier version yourself.you can do that with virtually everything and its a challenge!. You're Hba1c results are great. Please don't give in because it won't go away, it will just become a problem you can't do anything about and you'd hate that! I know it's rubbish just now..take it slowly, it's a big thing to get your head around but don't let it spoil your life.

M