Bike riding and being 19st!

Tracyplum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My other half had just bought us bikes. It must be 25 years since I last rode. I am 47 and T2 (jan13) on a diet only plan, very wobbly at the moment on the bike but I'm sure the knack will come back to me. My exercise at the moment consists of walking the dogs and spurts of movement at work with the rest sat behind a desk. Anyway we have a good cycle track nearby that we are planning to ride on a regular basis but since I am new to this exercise stuff can anyone give me any advice on how to approach this and how it will affect my levels?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Netty70

Hi Hun
Test you blood before Inbetween and after just to see how your body reacts also depends how long you cycle for
I do a 45 min of Zumba have a snack before I go and take my glucose tablets with me just incase as my levels drop a lot so be careful but enjoy it :)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tracyplum said:
My other half had just bought us bikes. It must be 25 years since I last rode. I am 47 and T2 (jan13) on a diet only plan, very wobbly at the moment on the bike but I'm sure the knack will come back to me. My exercise at the moment consists of walking the dogs and spurts of movement at work with the rest sat behind a desk. Anyway we have a good cycle track nearby that we are planning to ride on a regular basis but since I am new to this exercise stuff can anyone give me any advice on how to approach this and how it will affect my levels?

Cycling is a very good low impact exercise, that is, it is kinder to the ankle joints, knee joints etc than most other forms of exercise. The thing to remember is, you have got to get back to your starting pont, so don't over do it.

I started to get a bit fitter by using a rower but I also dug out an old bike and got it into running order. However, I felt too wobbly and needed to get used to it. I bought myself one of those stationary exercisers:

images

Exercise will have a more beneficial effect on your body fats than a direct effect on your BG levels. In other words, because your BG levels are up and down all the time, you may not notice the effect that exercise has. In fact, It may even go up sometimes, but that is because the body is breaking down fat stored to provide you with extra energy.

If you were to put a smaple of your blood into a test tube after a meal and then centrifuge it, the fats float to the top. If you have the same meal and then do some exercise and then centrifuge the blood, the fat at the top may be reduced by as much as one half. This is what Roy Taylor means where he says:

"The role of physical activity must be considered. Increased levels of daily activity bring about decreases in liver fat stores, and a single bout of exercise substantially decreases both de novo lipogenesis and plasma VLDL."

Over time, the reduction in liver fat stores will result in improvements in BG levels, but you have to combine the exercise with a reduction in calories too.

Sstvacutainer_small.jpg

The effect of exercise is that it releases several hormones which in turn trigger the release of various digestive enzymes. These only stay in the blood for about 24 hours so regular exercise is necessary. I exercise twice per day for 15 mins per day, each time after a meal. However, if you're out on a bike, you probably only want to do it once per day. About an huor after a meal is normally best but it would be just as good between lunch and dinner. As long as it is regular and daily though, won't matter too much.

SpaceChick

I took up cycling again in September last year after a 24 year absence..... Thought I'd forget.... But well, it's like riding a bike :wink:

I'm now doing around 30 miles a week and have really improved my fitness and speed. It's great exercise and run too.... Can't beat the feeling of the wind in your face as you race along :D

Tracyplum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great, thanks for your replies. Over the summer I can cycle everyday ( I work in a school and have 6 weeks off) but once back to work and dark nights creeping in it might just be a weekend thing. I am interested in the exercise stand Yorksman, I will look into one for later on in the year.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Never been able to ride a bike, always fall off, can do stationary though. You're T2 so no hypos just take enough to rehydrate.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I fell off a bike a year ago and badly scraped my knee.
I read that if you are going back to biking, try lowering the saddle and ignore the pedals pushing off with your feet, until you gain in confidence.
Hana
Ps Ihaven't tried the feet thing yet. No suitable places around here.

Tracyplum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our road runs into a country lane with a dead end (bikes can get through) so I am thinking when I pluck up courage to leave the garden I will go down the road, hopefully it will be quiet.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Tracyplum said:
but since I am new to this exercise stuff can anyone give me any advice on how to approach this and how it will affect my levels?

Just take it easy to start off, don't be tempted to set off and do 10 mile in the first day or you'll deeply regret it and end up with saddle sores.

Set yourself small goals each day and gradually increase the distance you travel as you become more fitter, above all else make sure you wear a cycle helmet as it may save your life!