Supplements to prevent going on insulin are there any?

Tench

Hello

I have been given 6 weeks to turn my diabetes around and avoid taking Insulin. I obviously will be reviewing my diet and excersise plan.

I am interested in looking at supplements that would support this quest, and would love some feedback what is working for others.

If you pass on info please provide quantities and amounts and any research you have looked at

Thankyou for your time

kind regards

Tench

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Lots of things claim to do this, but as far as I know they only help a little bit. Your best bet is to go low carb, which will help. Bernstein recommends 30 carbs per day and Atkins even less at 20. If you have been eating lots of carbs, cutting down gradually should help. First cut out sugars then reduce starches. If you are not sure what a carb is( it's something that turns into glucose in your blood) you can search for my Carbohydrate 101 post. Sorry if that sounds hard, but it's the only way. Then are you T1 or T2? No amount of dietary control will completey solve a T1, but T2s can sometimes do it or may need just a little oral medication.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sure others will make suggestions that might help but I'm going to give an alternative view. This view is based upon what I've read on other forums since my personal experience is of type 1 and I have to take insulin .

As this was a first posting, I don't really know anything about you , how long you've had diabetes, what methods of control you have tried etc. It may be that you haven't tried some of the dietary suggestions given and that they will help. Much will depend on what your BG levels are, and why your doctor wants you to go onto insulin. You are obviously worried and that's quite understandable, particularly if your GP is using insulin as some kind of threat/ last chance scenario.

However, it does depend upon the stage of your diabetes (and perhaps what 'subtype' it is.) If you have reduced beta cell function, the avoidance of insulin at all costs is perhaps not always the best course. The most important thing is to bring blood glucose down in order to help avoid complications. There are now some doctors who have started to introduce the use of insulin very much earlier with some type 2 patients, this is to help preserve beta cell function, and makes control for these patients easier. I also have read of people with type 2 who have gained excellent BG control with the help of insulin, in spite of 'failing ' with other methods. This is particularly true if they learn how to use it effectively rather than just dose with it.

This article gives some quite detailed info on the use of insulin in type 2 diabetes
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/15478720.php

Tench

Your feedback and knowledge is brilliant, and very much appreciated

Diabetes history
Diagnosed 4 years age, 44year old female, have lost 3 stone in weight now 16.10st, and stopped smoking for 2 years now (horray), managed with metformin 1000mg 2x daily currently. family history - Mother with type 1 and grandfather type 1

This morning Bg 17.1
evening BG 8.9
Today changed diet significantly, took out all sugat, had green tea, and ate raw veg
I'm hoping to get theis down this week

I have had a flue jab this morning and I know that can knock BG up

Cheers to all

loving your valid and useful feedback

tench

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
I disagree with that statement...

I can see what you're saying but the statement itself is wrong and can confuse others... it's not the ability to process carbohydrates that is lost, it's the ability to metabolise glucose from the blood stream into the rest of the body!
The fact that blood glucose increases after high carbohydrate food is eaten proves that we have the ability to process carbohydrates themselves.

Sorry to be pedantic!

Trinkwasser

I pretty much agree with everyone!

You really need to do some further work on your diet

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

it looks from your numbers as if you are eating the Healthy High Carb Low Fat diet - which isn't.

Your are already taking metformin to improve your insulin resistance and hoepfully doing some exercise, growing and using muscle is also a good attack on IR with which the metformin helps.

Taking insulin directly rather than faffing about with pills which cause your pancreas to generate more in a comparatively uncontrolled way is becoming more common as an effective way to control Type 2 as it reduces the load on the pancreas and reduces the speed of disintegration of the beta cells.

Depending on your status you may be offered Lantus as a basal, once or maybe twice per day, which leaves your pancreas to deal with the meal spikes, or you may be offered basal/bolus. If you are offered Mixturd, well it may work or you may find why many people call it that <G>

Most supplements do little by comparison with "real" drugs and real diet, I have just restarted ALA after a month off and it is improving my numbers by about 0.5 - 1 at most, it may not even do that much if you are already taking metformin. Most other supplements are only useful if you have dietary deficiencies.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Tench

I would be very interested to know how you go on by making drastic changes to your diet. I have been diagnosed 3 years (no family history) and until recently was on 4 x 500mg Metformin and 3 x 80 Gliclazide. However I had put on more weight with the Gliclazide and went to see a Diabetes Nurse hoping I could go on to Byetta. She said I could not because of my chronic IBS so she has put me on Lantus. I have gradually dropped the Gliclazide having the last one 7 days ago. I have been increasing the Lantus every few days as instructed , morning figures are NOT improving and my figures during the day are worse. I do not understand it and unfortunately cannot speak to anyone until Monday although I did try yesterday I did not get a reply.

It is my IBS that makes it much more difficult to cut down/out carbs!!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I(f you can't cut carbs for IBS, it's difficult to get BGs under control. At risk of seeming crass, have you tried cutting down on all food?
It's worth a try. Do you know what specifically sets off your IBS symptoms? Obviously avoid the trigger foods.
you need to see a dietitian, preferably one who is supportiveand won't rubbish the low carb approach.
they have access to food supplements, which might help get you right. 17 mmol/l isn't something tyou can safely carry on with for long. You may need to go to a basal/bolus regime.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
hanadr

I have spent all my adult life calorie counting/various diets etc. etc. (am 56) - the dietitian I saw 3 years ago did not know as much as I do!! When you live with something for so long you tend to know what is good for you . I have water porridge for breakfast (150 cals) boiled egg & slice of burgen bread for lunch & meat, small pots few vegs for dinner. Where do you suggest I cut back?? The only way I can cut back is not to eat at all.

It would be helpful if you could tell me what you actually eat in a day - then I can compare how different my diet is. I would love to be able to eat protein with tons of salad or vegs but the IBS does not let me. As it is I hardly ever go anywhere - I have asked the medics several times for a colostomy.

What I cannot understand is that since I stopped the Gliclazide on Sunday last, I have increased the Lantus but my figures are worse and I haven't changed my eating plan.

jopar

Jude

The lantus will have a slightly different action in your control than the Gliclazide...

Gliclazide stimilates the pancreas to increase the production of insulin...

By changing to lantus the pancreas will lower the amount of insulin it is able to produce, and lantus is actually dealing with the glucose the liver is putting onto the system...

Problem here is trying to work out how much you need to cover the liver, and how much extra the pancreas was producing is going to be difficult...

I'm assuming that your doctor advised a dose to start with, then if BG goes up or doesn't go down, take add xxx amount wait a couple of days to see how that is working and adjust again if needed!

A indication that the lantus is going to be your answer is to look at how steady your BG's are... If they are high but steady and as you increase the lantus they remain steady but are going towards normal range they you are on the road to getting to the right dose, and you just need to give time to find this mark...

But if the levels aren't steady and all over the place, then you and your team might have to rethink what might be the best move for you and your other medical conditions overall... It might mean a move to some quick acting insulin as well to counter act the carbs that you are eating...

hope this makes sense

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Jopar

Thank you so much for your information - as I write this I am in tears - I feel so alone. Four weeks ago when the diabetes nurse started me on Lantus I felt very positive but that has gone now and I am very depressed and disillusioned. It does not make sense that as I increase the Lantus my numbers are worse but you have helped me understand that a little - thank you. :roll:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Jude, my days vary, but I'll give you today.
Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs( in butter!)
morning snack:
bit of Stilton cheese
Lunch:
homemade tomato soup(see my recipe)
Afternoon snack: a few almonds
dinner:
3 thin sausages well cooked in the oven
mixed veg, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots. approx a portion of each
cups of tea and coffee during the day. without sugar, but coffee with cream. Tea with semi-skimmed milk.
I just discovered that I might not be eating enough fats, so I've upped it. I don't count calories, just watch "What" I eat and try to remember a portion would fit on the palm of my hand. (I don't worry qabout that soup. It contains quite a lot of water and very few carbs. I had 2 bowls, with cream.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hanadr

Where will I find your recipe for the tomato soup?

As well as diet are you taking any medications and what sort of level are your bg normally?

Katharine

I assume the tomato soup will be on the recipe thread.

If you have a sweet tooth you will have to try Fergus's trifle recipe. You will be amazed.