A REAL Cure for Diabetes

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
noblehead said:
Kerry-Michelle said:
I myself have only had type 1 for just over a year and I read this post thinking "oooh could it be true" then it hit me knowing that its not true, yeah it might lower your insulin units but its not going to solve the actual problem in the first place.. Many people my age could be doing the same to this post!

Deathly post in my eyes...

Unfortunately that's the nature of Internet for you, a great resource for information but a lot of quackery out there when it comes to diabetes.

And most of it comes from paid Doctors and the Pharmaceutical industries.
My personal and aging friend in Germany worked on a famous drug that reduced cholesterol most of his life after being transferred from Anti Biotics (which is where the drug originally came from) and he will be the first to tell you that although he helped invent this "wonder drug" that reduces cholesterol, that only when you have about 10 times the recommended amount it does damage to your body. The limit the doctor tells you was made by the pharmaceutical company to sell their drug which most people don't need.

So the "recommended level" of cholesterol was put at what it is now to sell the drug, which is why after that drug was invented he pretty much saw the company for what it was, which was not for helping people but providing a steady income.

How many of you believe Pharmaceutical companies have your best interests at heart? Only places of real research, such as universities are looking for real cures, but like everything they are underfunded on purpose so it looks like people are doing something, but we are all just cattle.

You wouldn't believe me if I told you AIDS didn't come from monkeys, but from a Lab... but that's a whole new level of eye opening.

3.7 level this morning at 8am. Time to juice myself healthier.

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I got this from a hospital working with Stem Cells. Anyone with lots of money to spare can always do this, but for me, I don't have the cash laying around.

Clinical research has clearly demonstrated that Mesenchymal Stem Cells (MSCs) implantation brings better control of blood sugar to a majority of diabetes mellitus patients by reducing their dependence upon insulin and/or other anti-diabetes medication.
1. The implanted stem cells multiply and differentiate in the body to repair the injured islet β cells in the pancreas;
2. Stem cells can improve or recover the function of islet β cells;
3. Stem cells can produce cytokines, which can promote regeneration of islet β cells;
4. Stem cell therapy can decrease insulin resistance;
5. Stem cells have immune-regulation function, which may also play a part in recover from diabetes.

The Diabetes Center of Puhua International Hospital focuses on innovative and effective treatments for patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. The Center uses a combined approach: stem cell treatment with conventional therapy. This combined method has been proven to be safe and effective: to date, 70% of our patients have gained clinically significant improvements after stem cell treatment, including:
1. More stable blood sugar levels
2. A reduction in medication, including: reduced/discontinued insulin, reduced/discontinued anti-diabetic medications.
3. Reduction in diabetic complications, including: improved eyesight, less diabetic neuropathy pain, better systemic blood circulation, diminished protein in urine/improved kidney function.
Here are personal testimonials from just a few of our patients:
http://www.puhuachina.com/en/stem-cell- ... sulin.html
http://www.puhuachina.com/en/stem-cell- ... manwu.html
http://www.puhuachina.com/en/stem-cell- ... salem.html
http://www.puhuachina.com/en/stemcell-t ... tareq.html
You will find additional patient case-reports at: http://www.puhuachina.com/en/case-studies.html
While it is important to know that patients differ from one other in many ways, it is also important to acknowledge that most (at least 70%) of the diabetic patients treated with SCT at PIH have experienced clinical benefits.
Therefore, it is well to acknowledge that the results of SCT for diabetes will vary from patient to patient, and that the improvements are normally gradual and progressive.

Indications for stem cell therapy (SCT) for diabetes:
1. A diagnosis of type 1 or type 2 diabetes;
2. 3-75 years of age;
3. The blood sugar that is poorly controlled with appropriate medical/insulin therapy;
4. Otherwise functional general health, with mild/moderate diabetic complication(s);
5. Good compliance;
6. Obstinate diabetic ulcers that have failed conventional treatment.

About the stem cell treatment (SCT):
MNCs and MSCs implantation are used in the treatment for diabetes, combined with conventional therapies:
About stem cells:
MNCs: "MNCs" is an abbreviation for mononuclear cells, better known as "monocytes." These cells are isolated from the patient's own peripheral circulation. The term "MNCs" actually refers to a selected population comprised of several kinds of stem cells.
(You may learn more about our MNCs program at: http://www.puhuachina.com/en/mononuclea ... ogram.html )
MSCs: MSCs (Mesenchymal Stem Cells) are collected from the umbilical cord blood. Because MSCs are primitive cells, they have very low immunogenicity. Therefore, it is unnecessary to have matching tests before transplantation and patient doesn't need to take any immunosuppressive medicine after the treatment. That's one of the advantages of MSCs.
About the stem cells delivery:
There are two ways to deliver stem cells into the body:
a) Interventional therapy: in this method, stem cells are infused directly into the pancreas through a femoral artery catheter. Once infused into the pancreas, the stem cells can proceed to repair the injured islet β cells and promote the recovery of the pancreatic function.
b) IV injections: the stem cells circulate around the whole body to repair the injured blood vessels and improve whole body, including the pancreas, via the systemic circulation.
Combined therapies:
1. Insulin/oral medication: the PIH medical team will adjust the insulin or oral medicine dose in accordance to patients' actual blood sugar levels both during and after the treatment. Patients should expect to reduce their insulin or oral medicine gradually;
2. Traditional Chinese Medicine (acupuncture, massage and/or Chinese herbal medicines);
3. Diabetic diet and counseling;
4. Exercise counseling.

Possible Side effects:
Possible side effects include: headache, fever, weakness, and dizziness. Side effects may happen in the first 24 hours or out to 3 days after the injection. These side effects are usually temporary and quite mild. The usual mild side-effects pose no threat to the patient's health and will be expected to adversely affect the therapeutic outcome.

Measures of Therapeutic Success:
1. Becoming free of the need for insulin and/or other diabetic medication;
2. Becoming less dependent upon insulin and/or other diabetic medication;
3. Less risk of hypoglycemia;
4. Recovery of islet β cell function (more natural insulin/less need for injection or medication;
5. FPG, 2HPG and HbA1C trend toward normal;
6. Diminished frequency of of diabetic symptoms,
7. Clinically cure/improvement of diabetic complications (neuralgia, ulcer, nephropathy, etc.)

Regarding Follow up:
After your discharge, PIH will keep in touch with you (emails or by phone, per patient). Patients are asked to report blood sugar and medication records to PIH at convenient intervals. The PIH physicians will offer advice in accordance with indication and patient request.
If a patient has any questions, they can always communicate with their PIH team, and many patients do so long after discharge.

Treatment time & estimated cost:
Generally, the treatment plan can be finished within 2 weeks.
The estimate cost for the 2 weeks' treatment is about 17,000USD~23,000USD
Please be aware that PIH makes different (individual) treatment plans for each patient, and the final cost depends on the individual treatment plan, and other variables.
The cost uncertainties mainly depend upon the dosage and type of stem cells, as well as the approach (IV/Interventional.) These details will are discussed in detail with patient as the individualized treatment plan evolves.

Estimate Average Cost is Inclusive of:
 Stem cell implantations;
 Daily IV medicines;
 Chinese massage;
 General medical services; Doctor's visits and examinations, laboratory tests, etc.;
 One room for the patient and 1-2 people who accompany the patient.
Estimate Average Cost is Not Inclusive of:
 Emergency management or treatment for unrelated illness
 Discharge medications
 Unexpected expenses such as prolonged hospitalization.
 Food

A

Anonymous

Talos said:
I just read in the paper a gastric bypass may be the cure for type2 , bit drastic I'm thinking. :(

I can't quite understand how this sits with what Yorksman said in an ealier blog ...

"Your gastric acids don't destroy all the food that enter it. If they did, the human race would have starved to death a long time before blenders were invented. Gastric acids activate the many digestive enzymes and also cause the proteins to unravel in order that the enzymes can then break down the long chain amino acids."

The word 'bypass' seems to suggest bypassing these important bodily functions, effectively wasting food. It might be less risky just to eat the equivalent amount of food that people who have had a gastric bypass do. Maybe a lung bypass for smokers? Also, how and why does it change the mindset of the person and reduce the craving for 'naughty foods'.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
janeecee said:
Did your BG levels fall as you lost weight in a sort of linear fashion ie, losing a stone reduced BG by a certain amount, or was your progress erratic? What I am confused by is the 'fat burning' mode that occurs during weight loss—how would it affect BG levels? Would it cause the BG levels to rise in the absence of enough calories or carbs?

It does yes though its hard to plot it without many detailed measurements. Weight and BG levels are up and down all the time but the trend is down. At the start I was in 8s, 9s and 10s. Over time that fell to 7s, 8s and 9s and so on. However, it's mixe in with changes in foods, as I experimented, so its hard to see a clear pattern, just the downward trend.

I had notice 20 years ago during weight loss something which was repeated here though. When weight loss stops and the weight is stuck, if the diet continues, the body changes shape, ie loses a notch on the belt. Then there is a sudden 1 to 2 kg loss after a few days and then the cycle starts again. As you loses more weight, those few days become more days. I did also notice a slight rise in BG during this process which may be the fats breaking down but without eating exactly the same food all the time, it's hard to tell.

Your body does, in the abence of enough glucose from foods, break down fat and adds it to your bloodstream. One the few times I have done this, an 11pm reading might be 5.6 but a 5am reading might be 4.1 as I have used it up during sleep. 4.1 is getting a bit low so the liver puts some more into the blood by converting some stored fats. At 8am my bloods would be back up to 5.3. You won't notice this process on the scales however. It's far too small.

The entire subject of how the body regulates itself is called homeostasis. Blood temperature, blood sugars, hydration, salt, clcium and many other levels are kept within ranges and the body reacts to keep the levels within the ranges. For example, sweating to lower body temperature. If your calcium levels fall too low, the body will even go so far as to extract the calcium from its own bones to maintain the level or if temperature drops too low, it will alter the circulation so the fingers and toes get cold but the vital organs are kept warm. If insulin is't working for diabetics and they have too much blood sugar, the body attempts to urinate it out. Hence they need to drink water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeostasis

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Abdominal hernias, staple leakage, respiratory failure, pneumonia, ulcers, dumping (involuntary vomiting or defecation), hemorrhage, wound reopening, deep-vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism, heart attacks and strokes are all possible after this type of surgery. Between 2005 and 2006 the 6 month post operation death rate was 1 in 40. It is not the same as having a tummy tuck.

A

Anonymous

Yorksman said:
Abdominal hernias, staple leakage, respiratory failure, pneumonia, ulcers, dumping (involuntary vomiting or defecation), hemorrhage, wound reopening, deep-vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism, heart attacks and strokes are all possible after this type of surgery. Between 2005 and 2006 the 6 month post operation death rate was 1 in 40. It is not the same as having a tummy tuck.

Eeek ... might be safer to swallow one of those blue hippos you put in a toilet cistern to conserve water. Hippo meat should be protein! :crazy:

Have you had one of these done?

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your lengthy explanations, Yorksman.

In other words, we can't really tell whether our bodies are in the process of breaking down body fat from our BG readings, because it may well be our livers breaking down its glycogen stores. Something like that?

I'm confused by the fact that one could be ingesting enough carbs to prevent ketosis, but what happens if the body is in calorie deficit? What gets broken down if there are enough carbs but a very low intake of calories, such as the ND where there seemed to be in the region of 110-120g carbs a day but only 800 calories? Those shakes can have a lot of sugar in them.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
janeecee said:
Thanks for your lengthy explanations, Yorksman.

In other words, we can't really tell whether our bodies are in the process of breaking down body fat from our BG readings, because it may well be our livers breaking down its glycogen stores. Something like that?

I'm confused by the fact that one could be ingesting enough carbs to prevent ketosis, but what happens if the body is in calorie deficit? What gets broken down if there are enough carbs but a very low intake of calories, such as the ND where there seemed to be in the region of 110-120g carbs a day but only 800 calories? Those shakes can have a lot of sugar in them.

Good point! I've never done the Newcastle diet and don't know enough about it to comment but I would imagine if you are not in ketosis and burning fat for fuel and there is a calorific deficit then you would be burning lean muscle as well as fat?

Perhaps someone who understands this more could comment?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Brit90 said:
noblehead said:
Kerry-Michelle said:
I myself have only had type 1 for just over a year and I read this post thinking "oooh could it be true" then it hit me knowing that its not true, yeah it might lower your insulin units but its not going to solve the actual problem in the first place.. Many people my age could be doing the same to this post!

Deathly post in my eyes...

Unfortunately that's the nature of Internet for you, a great resource for information but a lot of quackery out there when it comes to diabetes.

And most of it comes from paid Doctors and the Pharmaceutical industries.
My personal and aging friend in Germany worked on a famous drug that reduced cholesterol most of his life after being transferred from Anti Biotics (which is where the drug originally came from) and he will be the first to tell you that although he helped invent this "wonder drug" that reduces cholesterol, that only when you have about 10 times the recommended amount it does damage to your body. The limit the doctor tells you was made by the pharmaceutical company to sell their drug which most people don't need.

So the "recommended level" of cholesterol was put at what it is now to sell the drug, which is why after that drug was invented he pretty much saw the company for what it was, which was not for helping people but providing a steady income.

How many of you believe Pharmaceutical companies have your best interests at heart? Only places of real research, such as universities are looking for real cures, but like everything they are underfunded on purpose so it looks like people are doing something, but we are all just cattle.

You wouldn't believe me if I told you AIDS didn't come from monkeys, but from a Lab... but that's a whole new level of eye opening.

3.7 level this morning at 8am. Time to juice myself healthier.

Big Pharma doesn't want you dead but doesn't want you well either but in the middle..There's no money in dead people but equally there's no money in healthy people who dare think outside the box and go against the status quo with their dietary regimes, 8)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
paul-1976 said:
janeecee said:
I'm confused by the fact that one could be ingesting enough carbs to prevent ketosis, but what happens if the body is in calorie deficit?

Good point! I've never done the Newcastle diet and don't know enough about it to comment but I would imagine if you are not in ketosis and burning fat for fuel and there is a calorific deficit then you would be burning lean muscle as well as fat?

Perhaps someone who understands this more could comment?

I have no knowledge of the changes that take place in the body when there is a deficit of calories and there is no fat to burn. Famine or starvation process start to kick in, basically to protect the most vital organs including the brain. As with a calcium deficiency, where the body will extract the necessary calcium from its own bones to survive, in famine or starvation conditions, the body will find glucose for the brain from places other than stored fat, including muscle.

Have a look at the wiki page on Starvation Response
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation_response

It states that 25% of the body's basic glucose requirement is for the brain so, to keep going, it will take it from any cell deemed 'unnecessary'.

Sheesh, I'm glad I bought a new hat this summer. I thought it was just a fashion statement and never realised that it was a fuel saving measure.

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really talking about famine situations but our rather pampered and well fed bodies. Nobody in this country is emaciated from lack of food, unless they are anorexic or have severe illness. But people with a lot of padding can lose weight on these shakes, like the ND used. So if people are taking all that sugar, the equivalent of 6–7 teaspoons at a time, then where does the weight loss come from if they meet their basic carb needs and not in ketosis? Just wondering, really.

If you don't know, Yorksman, then you don't know. No worries. It's just that you seem very knowledgeable about all this biochemistry stuff so maybe I'm assuming you know everything, when you're just a mere mortal like the rest of us. :lol:

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Brit90

The Diabetes Center of Puhua International Hospital is a small hospital - 70 beds in 2010 - in a country that has a massive number of people with diabetes. And yet, they are charging foreigners the earth for a treatment that may (not will) assist them. As far as I know, my problem is not with my beta cells but with insulin sensitivity. I have an HbA1c of 6.0, eat a fairly normal diet - only excluding excessive sugar sources - and I have no conplications after 15 years. Now why would I want to give Chunese doctors who have enough of their own people to "cure" my money?

Just a thought.

Doug

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
janeecee said:
But people with a lot of padding can lose weight on these shakes, like the ND used. So if people are taking all that sugar, the equivalent of 6–7 teaspoons at a time, then where does the weight loss come from if they meet their basic carb needs and not in ketosis? Just wondering, really.

The Optifast shakes are low calorie meal replacements. The data is:

Calories 200
Protein (g) 26
Carbohydrate (g) 10
Fat (g) 6
Sodium (mg) 480
Potassium (mg) 800
Fiber (g) 0
Vitamins & Minerals 35% of RDI
Lactose (g) <1

The diet used in the Counterpoint Study is very low calorie. It was used to mimick the effect of bariatric surgery:

"The particular diet used in the study was designed to mimic the sudden reduction of calorie intake that occurs after gastric bypass surgery. By using such a vigorous approach, we were testing whether we could reverse diabetes in a similar short time period to that observed after surgery."

It was not a weight lodd diet, although that is an effect of the diet. The aim of the diet was to test Taylor's Twin Cycle Hypothesis for the cauese of Type 2 diabetes. "Within 7 days, liver fat had fallen by 30%, liver insulin sensitivity had returned to normal and fasting blood glucose had become normal."

The beneficial effect was quick, 7 days. Continuation of the diet was secondary, to lose weight, to test whether weight loss would prevent the disease from re-occuring.

Having tested this, Taylor does not recommend this diet and prefers a slower diet, over 5 to 6 months, as slow diets of this type tend to be more sustainable in the long run. Have a look at the FAQ:

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/di ... dy_000.pdf

He claims it could work for people with a normal BMI.

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
But he does say that maintaining the weight loss is essential to stay out of the diabetes range, doesn't he? So, if people put the weight back on they'd revert to their diabetic state, wouldn't they?

I have a few issues with the definition of 'normal' weight anyway. I mean, my partner is about BMI 23 with a bit of weight around the middle like many men his age, but in my eyes it's a bit more than he should have and a lot more compared to when he was a skinny young thing. His BG, BP etc is perfect, by the way. Then you see people describe themselves as 'slim' with a BMI of 24.7. Well, no, that isn't 'slim'! It might be 'normal' according to the NHS risk analysis but unless they're very sporty and muscular, they are probably still carrying to much body fat. At the other end of the scale you get people with a BMI of 18.5 who are also 'normal' but they cant afford to lose weight at all. So, I don't know what 'normal' weight is.

There was the journalist who went down to 8st 13lbs or thereabouts. I worked out his BMI and it was something like 19.4 after the ND regime, so I suppose if it worked for him, all well and good, but if I was to lose 1/6 of my body weight I'd be seriously underweight. If you ask me, all the ND diet is doing is addressing the excess weight that contributes to the development of T2. The loss of visceral fat could probably happen on any energy restricted diet. The most interesting thing is the restoration of the first phase, and if it depends on the loss of visceral fat then any weight loss diet ought to produce the same effect. That's how I see it anyway.

L

Luna21

BMI scores are just an indicator for whether you are an 'ideal' weight or overweight in my opinion. My friend is the same height as I am and much lighter, but is carrying much more fat on her body than myself. :crazy:

I am currently 23.7 on the BMI scale and I am looking pretty thin! It depends on your frame size, the muscle you carry etc. All my family weigh 'heavy' but my 3 brothers would all have been probably over a BMI of 25 when they played rugby, but were very fit and muscular.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
janeecee said:
But he does say that maintaining the weight loss is essential to stay out of the diabetes range, doesn't he? So, if people put the weight back on they'd revert to their diabetic state, wouldn't they?

Probably yes and because some of the beta cell mass is lost permanently, they'd probably get it sooner than they did before. But, Taylor's suggestion is that the continued decline is halted, if the weight stays off. You can ease up on the diet, but don't fall back into bad old habits.

BMI is no indicator though. As Taylor states, some people with a BMI of 25 get it whereas some with a BMI of 35 still don't have it. Around 80% of obese people don't have it. Why people have a tendency to put fat in their livers and pancreas but not anywhere else is still a mystery and very probably related to genetic make up. Poor nutrition and lack of exercise are just one way some people get it. A rather common way, but not the only way.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Luna21 said:
BMI scores are just an indicator for whether you are an 'ideal' weight or overweight in my opinion. My friend is the same height as I am and much lighter, but is carrying much more fat on her body than myself. :crazy:

I am currently 23.7 on the BMI scale and I am looking pretty thin! It depends on your frame size, the muscle you carry etc. All my family weigh 'heavy' but my 3 brothers would all have been probably over a BMI of 25 when they played rugby, but were very fit and muscular.

It is a useful measure but not an absolute scale . I'll never get down to 25. Even without an ounce of fat on me I'd be somethng like 26 or 27. It does not take into account frame size or muscularity.

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree, BMI is only part of the bigger picture. Waist circumference, waist to height ratio and waist to hip ratio are also important markers, as are many other things. Body fat scales are a good idea in theory but may people say they find them unreliable, at least the scales that are affordable and made for home use.