mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Whenever I have had cholesterol tests done, I have had to fast from the previous night. Unless there is a new way of doing them ?

saloplass

Hi, unless your surgery is carrying out 'fasting' blood tests then there is absolutely no reason why you should fast. An HbA1c is not a fasting blood test - it can be carried out at any time and shows an average of your glucose levels over the previous 8-12 weeks. This is why it is now used as part of a diagnostic tool to see if someone has diabetes. Your other tests if they were not stipulated as fasting would not have been. Dandelion and Burdoch - presumably this would have been sugar free - if so it would have not made any difference. Any questions simply ring up the careline at Diabetes UK - they are brilliant and will explain everything - and in simple language. Sometimes our diabetic nurses at our surgeries are not as clued up as they seem to think they are. I am fairly recently newly diagnosed too, but am livid as I already have eye damage as the right blood tests did not show I was diabtic at least five years ago! I am doing my best to be :silent: about it until my complaint has been checked out.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
saloplass said:
Hi, unless your surgery is carrying out 'fasting' blood tests then there is absolutely no reason why you should fast. An HbA1c is not a fasting blood test - it can be carried out at any time and shows an average of your glucose levels over the previous 8-12 weeks. This is why it is now used as part of a diagnostic tool to see if someone has diabetes. Your other tests if they were not stipulated as fasting would not have been. Dandelion and Burdoch - presumably this would have been sugar free - if so it would have not made any difference. Any questions simply ring up the careline at Diabetes UK - they are brilliant and will explain everything - and in simple language. Sometimes our diabetic nurses at our surgeries are not as clued up as they seem to think they are. I am fairly recently newly diagnosed too, but am livid as I already have eye damage as the right blood tests did not show I was diabtic at least five years ago! I am doing my best to be :silent: about it until my complaint has been checked out.

I totally agree but the practice nurse said they were checking for cholesterol ? As well as HbA1c etc.

Steve121

Had mine yesterday

I was diagnosed with a blood sugar lever reading of HBA1C. 15 (140 mmol/mol)April this year,

I weighed 18.5 stone (260 pounds) at one point

My Total Cholesterol was 8.06

My weight is down by 43 pounds or 3 stone
My total HBA1C is down to 5.4 (36 mmol/mol)
My Cholesterol is down to 4.3
Triglyceride is down to 1.23
LDL is at 2.34
HDL is at 1.44
Cholesterol to HDL IS 2.99

To say I am please is an understatement and my doctor can't believe the difference.

The good news is its all down to getting the info I needed from sites and forums like this, a complete change in diet and at least 5 days exercising each week. One hour each day running 4 miles and burning at least 800 calories each session minimum

Good luck to you all, me, I just want to lose another 12 pounds and then cut it back to 20 minutes each day for 5 days a week and add some toning with the weights

Any tips on shedding that final 12 pounds would be appreciated as its getting harder the More I lose

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,it's my 9 year old HBA1c first test this fri just wondering is it a actual blood test or finger prick as she's getting a bit anxious about it also do you get the result straight away and then suggestions how to improve if needed ?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Used to be a proper blood test taken from the arm, but last time they had changed it to a finger prick one and collect the.blood whilst squeezing. Not sure if thats standard at all clinics though but hopefully they will do that. :)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Me too ! She's been threw enough, she already said if its in her arm she won't have it so hopefully they will be be no foot stamping Friday lol

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aww, good luck :)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Steve121 said:
........Any tips on shedding that final 12 pounds would be appreciated as its getting harder the More I lose

Hi Steve121,
I found that losing the weight at a pound or so each week wasn't too hard, but my weight loss slowed right down as I got lighter. It was much harder shifting the few pounds I put back on (one must celebrate!) over last Christmas. Even following the same diet the weight wouldn't shift at the same speed.
Lee.