Feeling depressed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am 17 but got diagnosed with type 1 when I was 16 in October last year, I'm feeling so down more so recently than I have before, I've been so upset and don't want to see or talk to anyone, I've found adjusting to this really hard and I'm getting to the point where I am going to give up, finding it so hard to cope with and the thought that I have type 1 diabetes makes me so sad I feel so different to my friends now and like I'm not normal, I've also had some bad reactions and horrible comments about it which doesn't make trying to cope easier

saloplass

Re: Feeling depressed

Hi Shannon, Try not to be concerned that you feel different. You can control this condition much of the time with help. If your friends poke fun of make nasty comments, then are they worthy to be your friends? Probably not is what I would say - although its easier for me to say this, I know. Speak with your surgery - ask if they have any contact with the DESMOND education days - these are brilliant days and the tutors, sometimes diabetics themselves, tell you what you can and what you cant do. When I attended one fairly recently the room was full of newly diagnosed people we all told everyone else how we were coping and what we were doing. It became clear that most of us were doing something wrong, not understanding how glucose levels work and how lack of our own natural insulin messes things up. Give Diabetes UK a ring on their careline and they will be able to offer help of where you can go for help - don't let this condition damage you - you are worth more :thumbup:

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.

Shannon,

This is difficult to accept, but people who single you out and take the mick simply aren't your friends and will bring you down. People like that either don't know or don't care about your feelings and are crass and childish. Get rid and associate with people who care. My friends, every one of them have been very supportive and helpful. I know it's sad, but why should you feel like giving up just because some overbearing snob can't handle the fact that you are different. Hang in there! :)

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I agree with the above people - if people you know are being mean about it then they aren't really friends are they?!

Despite having good friends and family to support me (& a sister with the same condition) it has taken me years to accept it. I got it at 13 so I also went through my teens with it. The teen years are hard let alone with accepting this condition. However please don't give up.
I managed to make it through relatively unscathed and now I look after myself really well and no longer resent diabetes (of course it is still frustrating from time to time but I'm not in denial any longer).

I think you've made a really good decision coming on here as its filled with people who will understand how you are feeling and why. Keep talking to others and hopefully it will help you. If you feel you can then also talk to friends and family about it.
If you find it hard to tell others your feelings then maybe try writing it down (I always find it difficult to express how I'm feelings verbally).

It might even be a good idea to tell your GP how you are feeling - and to tell them you need help - perhaps they can send you on a diabetes course or for some counselling to help with the acceptance process.

Please don't give up - it will get better!!

All the best
Patch13

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Thank you for replying! The comments have made me feel much better thank you so much, I've started feeling more like my self recently and have cut the unsupportive people out of my life! This forum is really helping me understand more and I know I'm not the only one that struggles with this condition, thank you so much again for the kind words you have made me feel so much better about my self and this condition!

Steve121

Shannon

Forget the people who make you unhappy, their lack of understanding is their problem and as has been said before , they are not really your friends. I am a lot older and hopefully wiser than you and my advice would be to concentrate on the things YOU can change and not the things you can't. Forget the negatives and concentrate of the positives. You are young, you have everything in lie too look forward to and you have parents, family and friends who love and care for you very much.concentrate on making yourself happy and fit and do the things that make YOU happy

Good luck and don't let diabetes a limiter in your life, make it a challenge that you can control

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.

Hi Sharon.

For nasty things people say, I also get annoyed with that. But remember that most people are just ignorant about it all. I even know a nurse who actually has no idea about type one. But remember this, it's your body and it's your disease.

It's understandable to be depressed. I went though all that. It's perfectly normal. And because uncontrolled sugars makes you feel so ill, and tired, and for you you are new to this so it will take some time, you won't be feeling yourself at the moment. (Does that make sense?)

Hang in there, and you can live a relatively normal life with diabetes. I still eat out. I vary what I'm eating when. There are a few changes you have to make, but you will get there. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Thank you again for the lovely words and comments! Once again they've made me feel a lot better within my self and to know I am not alone with this!
I have recently been on holiday and found it hard to keep control but things are slowly getting better, very slowly but at least it's getting better! Thank you all for your comments and I have taken a lot of the advice on board and now am a much happier person within my self, thank you!