Night Sweats

bdav57

Hello
I suffer from night sweats is there a link between Impaired glucose intolerance and night sweats? Although I do drink alcohol and I was thinking that might be the cause.
Regards
bdav

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Yes on both counts.

sparkyrich

Ahh, welcome to the world of diabetes. My better half has been complaining about the night time heat and humidity for the last week. She should try living in my shoes ( it's okay, she never comes on the forum so I'm safe lol).
"Night sweats" is the understatement of the decade, I wake up liking like I've had a bucket of water thrown over me. In fact, the mattress protector looks like the "Turin shroud" with a perfect outline of my body like a photo on it. Hey, maybe Jeebus was a diabetic too!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I didn't know night sweats was a symptom of diabetes, I thought my night sweat were because I was a female of a certain age.
I was also wondering if it had anything to do with having a memory foam mattress.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
cocacola said:
I didn't know night sweats was a symptom of diabetes, I thought my night sweat were because I was a female of a certain age.
I was also wondering if it had anything to do with having a memory foam mattress.

Well it sure as he*l dont help. A nice very absorbant cotton sheet over a good conventional mattress is the way to go :thumbup:

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Hello, I agree with BOTH points and waking early unable to drop off again. Also, common sense comes in. Haven't you noted that it is significantly hotter now than the last few years? It is BOILING. It strikes me as being one of the first things I'd think. I'm not being judgemental and appreciate your concern. Don't lose that knack. You're manna to your wife! Top man!

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
If you eat some carbs before bed they night sweats are greatly reduced.

Check BS level before bed and if less than about 7.5 I eat a few crackers (Carrs melts) and have about half a little of water - sleep like a dry baby!

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

carophie04

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not just night sweats with me - I am having them all through the daytime as well to a point where I am becoming really depressed and fed up with it. I don't know if it's the Diabetes itself, the Metformin or maybe nothing to do with either and it's not just during the hot weather of late, it is all the time even now it has cooled down. GP no help at all so where do I go from here? It's certainly not menopause at the age of 74 and I can't understand why the GP can't do some kind of test to see what's causing it and hopefully something to alleviate it.

eaglet

Dislikes
Politics and things I won't go in to in a public forum
If I ever get the sweats and it's not hot it normally means my BG's are low. When this happens I've tested and they've been as low as 1.5. Doesn't happen often now as I normally have a late snack. I've had the sweats during the day with the same end, but I normally get the shakes as well, same answer, a snack. Thankfully not often,
Cheers :thumbup:

ftt1960

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not a lot
I'm on Duloxetine for neuropathy. I'm almost constantly hot and clammy even in the middle of winter. Hoping to wean myself off the Duloxetine since starting to take Alpha- Lipoic Acid.

bdav57

Thank everyone for your comments I appreciate them. My night sweats it would appear are linked to IGI. It is also good to know from my perspective, that it is more common than I realised

Regards

Bdav

SAH154

I get them generally 2-4 hours after going to sleep but they wear off about 4-6 am and can get the opposite however in this really hot weather recently they have vastly improved?

I can only guess that having high blood sugar may cause the body to try to burn off extra glucose resulting in a temp rise of the body?

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Alcohol raises blood sugar levels and then drops rapidly. Don't give yourself extra insulin. Get a small snack ready for when you go to bed.

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
If you eat some carbs before bed they night sweats are greatly reduced.

Check BS level before bed and if less than about 7.5 I eat a few crackers (Carrs melts) and have about half a little of water - sleep like a dry baby!

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol
Apart from the gluclazide, my medication is the same as yours - my night sweats are horrendous and I'm permanently exhausted from not getting much sleep. I tried having a small carb snack before bed but then found my early morning readings were higher than I'd like, so now I don't eat anything after 9pm, and my morning readings are back in the 6's, still higher than I'd like but better than before. Maybe I'll try your cracker snack for a week and see how things are night and morning. I'm due my hba1c at the end of the month so ill see what that shows too!

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
Thank everyone for your comments I appreciate them. My night sweats it would appear are linked to IGI. It is also good to know from my perspective, that it is more common than I realised

Regards

Bdav
Sorry, what's IGI? I need to know as much as I can in order to try and reduce my sweats as ill never have the energy to work again!

catmazdo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I'm SO glad I came across this post. I suffer terribly with night sweats and never thought it could be linked to my diabetes. I've bought new duvets, bedding the lot thinking it was to do with that. Even in winter i sleep with the window open! Should night sweats be reported back to the GP in case meds need changing or is this something I have to live with now im a diabetic?

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Apart from the gluclazide, my medication is the same as yours - my night sweats are horrendous and I'm permanently exhausted from not getting much sleep. I tried having a small carb snack before bed but then found my early morning readings were higher than I'd like, so now I don't eat anything after 9pm, and my morning readings are back in the 6's, still higher than I'd like but better than before. Maybe I'll try your cracker snack for a week and see how things are night and morning. I'm due my hba1c at the end of the month so ill see what that shows too!
I find that if I have nothing then I have night sweats but if I eat some carbs they are much reduced but basically you just have to work out what suits you over time. Some swear by jelly babies, and some jelly beans but the end result is pretty much the same.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I have night sweats and day sweats since I became diabetic,I take 1x500 mg Metformin a day ,and low carb diet,my BG is under control.with HbA1c of 44,so I dont know why I have sweats.