Seeking Advice

kernow50

Like most people I have a little story to tell. I was diagnosed as Diabetic 10 years ago and have cotrolled it with diet since then until just over a month ago. Fairly suddenly I realised that I was getting a number of the symptoms of hyperglycemia and got my blood glucose checked and it was 20. So I dutifully went off to the Doctor who checked it again and it was 20 again and put me on Metformin tablets. I have now been taking them for just over 4 weeks and my fasting blood glucose in the mornings is between 8 and 9.5. Do people think I should go back and see the doctor or do i need to keep taking the tablets for a couple more weeks?

MacPhoenix

Your Doc should have asked to see you after a few weeks to check how the medication is working. It should be a little lower than that, but do not make adjustments yourself - not until you're more experienced with the medication anyway. So yes, go see your Doc.

saloplass

Hi, Different areas seem to treat diabetes totally different. I was recently put on Metformin 500mg x 2 daily and am not getting the effects checked for three months. It does not seem to be doing much of anything at the moment, perhaps that is why three months??? Nobody bothers to explain - I get frustrated with this and when asked a different answer comes out of our diabetic nurse than comes out of research I do for myself. It seems from my new GP that much larger doses of metformin can be taken along with other drugs, so personally I would ask your preferred supplier of health [if you can get to them] :|

mcdonagh47

kernow50 said:
Like most people I have a little story to tell. I was diagnosed as Diabetic 10 years ago and have cotrolled it with diet since then until just over a month ago. Fairly suddenly I realised that I was getting a number of the symptoms of hyperglycemia and got my blood glucose checked and it was 20. So I dutifully went off to the Doctor who checked it again and it was 20 again and put me on Metformin tablets. I have now been taking them for just over 4 weeks and my fasting blood glucose in the mornings is between 8 and 9.5. Do people think I should go back and see the doctor or do i need to keep taking the tablets for a couple more weeks?

Hi there,

what dose of Met are you on ? The normal routine is to start on 500mg and then proceed through 1000 to 1500. 1500 mg is said to be the minimum effective dose of Metfartin but people work up to it to minimise tummy troubles. Most t2s are probably on 2000mg.

if you are scoring 20s you probably should have been on meds several years ago. What have your HbA1cs been like over the last few years ?