Finger Prickers

Sairracakes85

Hi my fingertips are so, SO unbelievably sensitive and finger pricking for blood tests REALLY does hurt me on most occasions so I'd like to know for sure, once and for all, and from a reliable source, you know people that KNOW from personal experience, what UK finger pricker is the least painful and whether or not the type/make of lancet makes a difference to the amount of pain caused? Any advice and help will be much appreciated, Thank You X

Gwilo

I'm quite sensitive on my finger tips too, though obviously, I can't vouch for how similar to you...everyone perceives it differently.
I use OneTouch Ultrasoft lancets, they're 0.4mm, and not too bad. OneTouch also do Comfort lancets, which are apparently 0.2, so thinner should equal less pain/discomfort.

What I also do is, rather than test on the tip/pad of my fingers, which are packed with nerve endings, I tend to sample from the inside edge of the finger, imagining a line running from the nail cuticle around the finger and aiming in the middle of that line, facing me - less nerve endings, so theoretically, less chance of pain.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I NEVER use my fingers for testing. I use what they call Alternative Site Testing and my "stabber" has a separarte "nozzle" for this. I use the inside of my forearm.
Read up about this method. It might be your solution
Hana

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use alternate sites also, can give slightly higher reading sometimes for post prandial compared to finger pricking but not so far off provided the test site is rubbed a few minutes before testing. Compared to finger pricking its completely painless.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the accuchek multiclick as it has 6 lanclets in each cartridge and can go in normal bins.

Just remember alternative sites are no good for hypo testing and tbh I never had any luck with that at all. plus after a few years your fingers get thickened skin so it wont hurt so much.

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
I have only tried two finger prickers so far, the fastclix from accuchek and the one I got with my codefree meter. The fastclix doesn't seem too bad to me and if you ask accuchek nicely they may send you a free alt site testing cap it also has 6 lancets in a cartridge so you don't need to change it as often, the one I got with my codefree meter seamed more like a harpoon. I am yet to try the AST cap for my fastclix though.

Mark

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have tried various lancets and lancing devices over the past few months as I have tender skin due to dermatitis resulting in the skin flaking off.

Two devices that I get on with are the Accu Chek fastclix which is probably similar to the Accu Chek multiclick, and the Mylife Pura lancing device used with the BD micro fine 0.2 mm lancets (micro fine come in 2 sizes 0.3 and 0.2 mm).

The Bayer lancing device and lancets come next on the list, though would still use the BD lancets with the Bayer lancing device.

Think the worst one I tried is the latest Abbot Medisense lancing device, seems rather brutal on my fingers.