FEELING SO ILL !!!!!

hazey276

Hi folks , sorry to moan but i'm really ill at present. Went to see my incompetent GP on Monday and as soon as i walked in he said "what's all the heavy breathing and grey look about." I f i could have picked my arms up i'd have strangled him :evil: . We discussed the letter from my consultant about me being T1 and not T2 and he agreed :shock: . He even had the gaul to say that HE thought i might have been all along but wasn't sure (swine). Without examining me he gave me Amoxicillin and said "TAKE THEM WHEN I FEEL ILL", (I really do give up), he also said that i "MIGHT" have a viral infection .

So here i am feeling like i'm dying with a raging sore throat, stomping headache and barking like a scrap yard alsation. Every time i stand up i nearly fall over because i go so light headed and feel so weak. My levels are back in the mid twenties and i'm even struggling to walk most of the time. My wife is so lovely but she sometimes just doesn't understand like last night when i said that i didn't fancy going shopping to Tesco and she couldn't really understand why.

Sorry for moaning but i just had to unload !!!!!!!!!

Hazey :( :( :( :(

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

Attachments

• getwell_6.gif
    getwell_6.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,228

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Amoxicillin for a virus! No wonder we have so many resistant strains around nowadays.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
awww hazey,
i was like that last week ,its awfull, i hope u feel better soon xx :D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Keep warm,drink plenty fluids and try gargling with ice cold water,I find that helps soothe throat.never found a 'cough' mixture that works for me yet!If you have any willing slaves get them to wait on you hand and foot,always remembering that it will be your turn next week when they succumb to the dreaded lurgy!Hope you feel better soon,Hazey.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Hazey,
You really, really, really must get yourself signed up with a different doctor. I was going to say it doesn't matter which doctor, but actually a witch doctor would be more clued up that this guy! He is beyond being a joke - he is positively dangerous. If you have a virus then any form of penicillin will do absolutely nothing to help it. Penicillin only works on bacterial infections, not on viruses.

I'm surprised he didn't examine you and suggest you might be pregnant!! Maybe next time!!!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would raise both my bolus and basal with an illness and high BG but I think that it is important that you get some input from the diabetes clinic as to how much to raise them. You should have already been given personal sick day guidelines.
you may need to test more frequently. If your BG is high you should also check for ketones.

Hopefully you will not need the following it really is just in case that you will be feeling much better soon.

If you are:
Unable to swallow or keep fluids down.
Persistent vomiting.
Persistent diarrhoea.
Very high blood sugars (over 28 mmol/L) in spite of taking extra insulin.
Persistently high levels of ketones in the blood or urine in spite of taking extra insulin.
If you develop abdominal pain, become short of breath or drowsy. You must contact GP (well perhaps not yours) the diabetic clinic or go to A &E.

Trinkwasser

Dennis said:
Hi Hazey,
You really, really, really must get yourself signed up with a different doctor. I was going to say it doesn't matter which doctor, but actually a witch doctor would be more clued up that this guy! He is beyond being a joke - he is positively dangerous. If you have a virus then any form of penicillin will do absolutely nothing to help it. Penicillin only works on bacterial infections, not on viruses.

To be fair the last couple of years we've had a strep (bacterial) infection as a hanger on to the virus for which the amoxycillin might work.

Other than that, agreed! One wonders why some people bothered to become doctors - especially when you ask around and find a good one which makes the contrast even more appalling.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Definitely change doctors and in the meantime, go to the consultant. Amoxicillin for a virus is a nonsense and also likely to help the bacteria become more resistant

Tinkerbelly

Hello Hazey

Sorry that you're not well. Sounds like you've got a really bad cold/cough. Amoxycilin will only help if you've got a cough that has gone to your chest and is making you cough up yellow phlegm. Most GP's do prescribe this antibiotic though as a safeguard.

Like Phoenix has said, you might have to increase your insulin a bit to get your bg to drop while you are suffering. Another thing to remember is that some cough medicines contain glucose so if you are taking a cough linctus, have a look at the side of the bottle for list of ingredients.

A really good cough medicine to use which actually works for both chesty and dry coughs is Pholcodeine. It is sugar free. Ask your pharmacist if you could take it :?:

hazey276

Thanx for all the replies and suggestions, i'll try some of them. Still feeling very ruf, i nearly fell down the school stairs this morning, (the kids thought it was highly amusing) :) , because of a dizzy attack.

It's funny what you said Dennis about me being pregnant. He sent me recently for an x-ray on my heel to the maternity clinic (he must have been confused, and you should have seen the look on the receptionists face when i presented the letter) :shock: .

I'll try the cough mixture as my throat is like a blast furnace and i could do with some relief. My wife, bless, made me a hot toddy last night with about 12 sugars in it, as you can imagine it was sat on the coffee table this morning stone cold :) .

I've tweaked the novorapid up a bit but i am still getting readings of high teens so i'll gradually increase it some more (i'm new to this regime so i'm a little unsure and scared to over do it) :? .

I'm back at the diabetic clinic next Thursday so i'll get their input on the situation, but for now i'll keep attending the injection parties :roll: .

THANX AGAIN TO YOU ALL !!!!!!!!

Hazey

Trinkwasser

hazey276 said:
It's funny what you said Dennis about me being pregnant. He sent me recently for an x-ray on my heel to the maternity clinic (he must have been confused, and you should have seen the look on the receptionists face when i presented the letter) :shock: .

Either he's on drugs, or if he isn't he ought to be

hazey276

Hi folks, just an update, been vomiting most of the weekend. Rang my GP Saturday morning after finishing second lot of antibiotics to tell him of my sickness :cry: . He said i'd just have to ride the storm out and there's not much more we can do, it's a bug i've got (must be a mega sized cockroach, it feels like it's taken over my body) :cry: . Dragged myself in work today but i'm starting with a really bad stomach now and all my work colleagues say i look like s..t (which is funny because i feel it). Started on the Pholcodeine cough mixture but no improvement since Friday when i started it. Really don't know what to do now, just feel so rough. This has been going on since October now on and off. At diabetic clinic this Thursday so i'll see what the DN says when i see her :cry: . I didn't feel this ill when i was admitted to hospital in June. Yes i admit it i'm scared now i feel that ill :( .

Thanks for listening again guys !!!!

Hazey

Trinkwasser

If you're that ill, and your system works like ours, see if you can ask for a doctor to visit *you*, you will probably get a different one come out and may get a second opinion. This sounds a bit like one of those hospital-borne "winter vomiting" viruses, keep hydrated and hope it goes away on its own, but judging by the cluelessness of your current doctor I really would work on getting a second opinion.