First time abroad with type1

Balll01

We are due to go to Greece in a few weeks, this will be our first holiday abroad since my 11yr old was diagnosed last November and I'm really worried about how her diabetes will be and about working the carbs out whilst we're there. Also how much equipment should we take, if I'm honest I'm really not looking forward to it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

DivaAlena1

Hi, we have found that the high temperatures and constant swimming/ playing keep lowering blood sugar levels so we have to reduce both novo rapid and levemir. It worked out well for us each time by reducing levemir by one unit morning and night and novo rapid from lunch by one unit. She could even have small snacks without any insulin in between meals. Try not to worry it is actually much easier abroad if on same time zone x

Mark2605

Hi, I am type 1 and have been abroad. I agree with DivaAlena1, the exercise- whether it's walking or swimming will lower blood sugars, as will the heat. It depends on how much insulin your daughter is on and how long you're going for. Try not to worry though, and good luck! :)

jowrich1

Hi we've just returned from 2 weeks in Cyprus, our first holiday with 3 year old type 1. He's on a pump and his sugars were on the higher side most of hols, some lows. I took double of everything I would normally need, test strips, kits, insulin, ketone strips etc plus a spare pump, injection pen. I made sure I had great travel insurance, consulate phone number, hospital contacts in UK and letter from doctor for carrying supplies onto aeroplane. I took snack food too as he is a faddy eater!! I took my carbs and cals book along, this helped massively! He swam lots, ate ice cream, drank slushies and didn't feel left out at all. It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting.....the hot weather does affect sugar levels, just keep reminding to drink!!! Hope this helps x

Balll01

Thank you all for your replies. I feel a little bit better after reading your replies. I'm sure we will be fine once we get there. Do you all check blood sugars every two hours whilst your away or just as normal like when your at home? Can you take food in your suitcase when you fly?

Mark2605

You will be fine :) I test mine more often due to being more active and getting nervous when flying haha. I think you can take food in your suitcase, but you can buy it in the airport anyway. Also, I keep my glucose tablets with me on the plane just in case :)

DivaAlena1

We test every 2 hours better safe than sorry. Remember to take a letter from your gp incase you get stopped taking all equipment with you, all needs to be in hand luggage due to temperatures. Have a lovely time x

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi, I've been living with Type 1 for many years and have travelled a lot. Something I've found useful, which is not age specific, is methods to keep insulin at the right temperature. I always try to get a place with a fridge and use the Frio pouches (they keep things cool with hydro crystals), together with an insulated cool bag, to transport insulin and glucagon.
Enjoy your holiday!