Type 1diabetic child!!

Ali2008

Hi,
I have type 1 diabetes for 31 yrs now, I also have a type 1 diabetic daughter who is 5 years old, can anyone advise on toilet training for through the night considering she has quite high bm's! Ive take her off pull up's and have been doing this for two wks now, had two dry nights so far, rest of the time she stands over us in the middle of the night screeching for us to change her bedding and underwear! Granted she's never slept brilliant since being born and her behaviour has been terrible since being diagnosed january 2010, I've asked the hospital for advice, they basically haven't got a clue, we are seeing CAMHS, and a continence nurse (long story there with poo'ing), but just feel no further forward on lots of things, I could tell you everything from the beginning, but its a very long story, I'm willing to tell if anyone wouldn't mind! Would appreciate any advice about the nighttime bed wetting! Thank you! Xx

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Ali2008 said:
Hi,
I have type 1 diabetes for 31 yrs now, I also have a type 1 diabetic daughter who is 5 years old, can anyone advise on toilet training for through the night considering she has quite high bm's! Ive take her off pull up's and have been doing this for two wks now, had two dry nights so far, rest of the time she stands over us in the middle of the night screeching for us to change her bedding and underwear! Granted she's never slept brilliant since being born and her behaviour has been terrible since being diagnosed january 2010, I've asked the hospital for advice, they basically haven't got a clue, we are seeing CAMHS, and a continence nurse (long story there with poo'ing), but just feel no further forward on lots of things, I could tell you everything from the beginning, but its a very long story, I'm willing to tell if anyone wouldn't mind! Would appreciate any advice about the nighttime bed wetting! Thank you! Xx

Hello Ali .

As a temporary suggestion - you could try using some diposable puppy training pads .
They can be bought from mackro bag/box of 50 of them .
Plonk one on top of the bedding it is softly quilted and will absorb anything!
Dispose of easily in a sealed nappy/carrier bag etc
They could be used as a temporary thing whilst you are still awaiting more suitable professional advice .

Reduce fluid intake at a certain time agreeable to yourselves possibly ?
Little that is needed is fine obviously - is better than too much fluids pre-bedtime .
Use treats/goals to stimulate her interest to work 'with' you rather than against you all .
Like her favourite story book/music to read or listen to .
New pair of PJ's ? Sticker chart for good/better behaviour, when earned so many [ 7 a weeks worth ]
Treat her to something she likes/enjoys ?
When they are so young they don't understand a temper or a tantrum .
I have a 4year old granddaughter that is hard work - roll on September when she starts school !

It must be hard for you as you have yourself to look after too .
If you wish to tell/say more here - feel free - it can sometimes help to let all things out . :)
We do understand and we are here to support and listen .

Hope this can help .

Anna .

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Ali2008 said:
Hi,

Hi Ali I'm sorry to hear of your daughters problems, it must so upsetting and frustrating for you both. You have a lot to deal with such a lot going on. I can't add anymore with what Anna has suggested, or another idea is waking the child every few hours during the night to go to the toilet. Have you had a word with your GP about this, could it possibly be physiological due to her diabetes?

I wish you good luck and hope things settle down soon.

Take care and best wishes RRB :)

Kerry-Michelle

I agree with Anna.. I work as a nursery assistant and while a child is going through potty training and staying dry during sleep time we reward the children with stickers or whatever the parents would like us to do I.e a chart where they get a treat after so many stickers like Anna suggested.. It does work for a lot of the children but every child is different and become dry in their own time.. I would suggest not dwelling on the wetting as children pick up on so much more than we think.. Children can be distressed by the wetting and in turn can end up taking steps back instead of forward..

Sorry to jump in on this post...

I hope this helps, best wishes and good luck..

Kerry xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hannah1987

My lg is 4 & diagnosed at 2.5yrs so we having trouble with this also :( don't know what to do as she is wearing pull-ups at night but there is no way of waking her once she is asleep - can't put her on potty whilst asleep as very tall at just under 4ft lol if we leave her with no protection on & a disposable bed mat she just throws it off in the night asleep still so feels it is wet but it doesn't wake her & her bed is soaked in the morning inc duvet & she hasn't even realised! Also they are that thirsty anyway it is cruel in my eyes to restrict drinks all i do is encourage to not to drink too much that 2hrs before bed i only put a little bit in cup to drink not a full one as she can't not drink it all lol plus my lg has quite high bg's too & they advise to drink plenty to bring them down & to prevent ketones so can't seem to win. I posted a similar post a few months ago & advice was they grow out of it & it is normal for everyone without diabetes to go through this also. I don't agree on the reward charts at night as they don't realise they need the toilet & bearings are worse when asleep for us all x