Do diabetics smell sweet

Saintleonard

Hi I wonder if anybody else has had this happen or can confirm. Around the time I was diagnosed type 1 we got a new kitten, but the blasted animal always seem to bite me at all times of the day,even to a point where it will launch itself at me from all points and areas of the house. When I queried this with the vet, she said, it is possible that you as a diabetic may smell different to other people, as cats theoretically do not have taste buds like humans but sense of smell is heightened and may smell different. She had no evidence to back this up, it was a just a theory she had. I would interested to hear other views on this as. Meanwhile with constant sources of blood around our house me in fact I never have difficulty in testing and kittens teeth are quiet sharp as I can testify.

Elc1112

If your sugars are high and you have ketones then it is not unusual for your breath to smell a little bit like pear drops. Other than that, in not aware that I smell any different to the next person just because I am diabetic!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I don't have an answer for you but your post did make me giggle! I have visions of a cute little bundle of fur launching itself at you at every opportunity :)

Lorna

Saintleonard

Lorna. That is exactly what happens, sometimes the cat is hanging off me like an extension of one my limbs with its claws dug in an and it's jaws sunk into me flesh. I am glad it gave you a giggle it dies appear to amuse most people, I think the must think I am his human Chew toy.

MacPhoenix

When I was training with elephants at London Zoo they certainly thought so. Wouldn't leave my face alone, slimiest kisses I've every had!

Geocacher

I've never had a kitten that didn't go through a teething phase. They do tend to get over it eventually, until then I keep toys handy to distract the little terror whenever it bites. Breaking the habit with distraction is an easy way to get a kitten to stop biting. Tossing a favoured toy is a good distraction... and probably why all my cats are feline retrievers!

My adult female still bites occasionally but only to tell me off like she would with a misbehaving kitten, never to break the skin. The male cats I've had never did that after they stopped teething. I expect it's a normal instinctive behaviour for a female but not a male.

As far as animals knowing you're diabetic, yes, they do know. Some even start to realise that you may need help when you are too high or too low. My female cat tends to paw at my leg and demand treats when I have a hypo, I suppose she's trying to get me into the kitchen so I also have some food. Dogs can be trained to recognise when a person has high or low blood and even retrieve and offer a someone their test kit when needed. Particularly useful for someone who doesn't always know when they are having a hypo.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Poor you getting kitty attacked!! We have 3 cats and most of the time they won't leave me alone , always wanting to be petted and two of them are always licking me, so they seem to like the taste of me :? So not sure what's going on though :lol:

RRB :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

My Yorkshire terrier Gracey always knows when I am low or high blood sugared .
She can smell the difference on my skin .
Also she has helped me many times when I have gone too low blood sugar levels .

Paws at my legs incessantly and when I want to sleep she push's her head under my face/chin .
Licks at me and paddles her paws on me madly .
Often when she gets like this - I stop and re-test - find she is RIGHT too
Its AMAZING to be prewarned so accurately by her ...
Twice when I flopped out unconscious she sat on me barking nonstop for my hubby to come .
Who came to see what all the racket was about - saw me and realised I need the emergency glucogen
in our fridge .
She is both my best friend and loyal companion.

So I would say yes - diabetics can certainly have scent changes with the sugar level changes in our blood.
Even the evening midges 'love' munching away on me - I hate them ! :x
Come in covered in little red spots and so itchy from them .

Hope this can help.

Anna .

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a puppy a month before being diagnosed T1. Everyone got really excited thinking he'll grow up being able to detect my hypos.

5 months later I can confirm he is in fact unable to sense anything. He's just a Bit too stupid! But I love him all the same :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1375275890.804686.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1375275890.804686.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 672

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
My cat incessantly licks my arms and when I've tested I've always been high. She doesn't do it for hypos - mores the pity !!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
hale710 said:
I got a puppy a month before being diagnosed T1. Everyone got really excited thinking he'll grow up being able to detect my hypos.

5 months later I can confirm he is in fact unable to sense anything. He's just a Bit too stupid! But I love him all the same :)

Awww - A 'boxer' ?
How cute is he ... :D
Floppy ear back and looks so cheeky too !
Try him with a balloon - boxes love to play with a balloon 'honestly' :thumbup:

My Gracey being a yorkie "terrier" has very strong scent traits .
This is probably how/why she can detect/smell the changes in me .

Anna .

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
anna29 said:
hale710 said:

Awww - A 'boxer' ?
How cute is he/she ?
Floppy ear back and looks so cheeky too !
Try him/her with a balloon - boxes love to play with a balloon 'honestly' :thumbup:

Anna .

He's actually a puggle, a cross between a beagle and a pug. He's a cheeky little man and such a mummy's boy! When I'm at home he's always by my side

He discovered balloons at my nieces birthday, but he's too rough and they pop on seconds. He gets a fright and hides for a few minutes before going to find another one!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hale .

I learn something everyday :)
A puggle ? - never heard of these .
What is his name ?
Does he have a name as cheeky as he looks!

He certainly looks a gorgeous cheeky little man :thumbup:
Lovely champayne/cream coloured coat too .

Our neighbours next door have a beagle cross with jack Russell terrier .
She [Milly] is always digging and burying stuff in their garden .
Nice natured dog though with a real beagle face and head with the soft floppy ears .

Anna .

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
anna29 said:
Hale .

I learn something everyday :)
A puggle ? - never heard of these .
What is his name ?
Does he have a name as cheeky as he looks!

He certainly looks a gorgeous cheeky little man :thumbup:
Lovely champayne/cream coloured coat too .

Our neighbours next door have a beagle cross with jack Russell terrier .
She [Milly] is always digging and burying stuff in their garden .
Nice natured dog though with a real beagle face and head with the soft floppy ears .

Anna .

His name is Rodney :)

We've been lucky, he's seems to have the best traits of both breeds. He does forget he's getting a bit big to sit on my knee these days though!

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Clearly the female mosquitoes thought that I smelled very sweet when I first moved to Indonesia evidenced by the fact that it was always me that received the most bites in any given company.