Worried mum of a newly diagnosed type 1 twenty month old

Jayne13

Hello all , my twenty month old son was diagnosed a week ago with type one , the doctor first thought it was a chest infection but a hospital trip confirmed type one , he was also suffering from dk and was kept in hospital for five days and had a really tuff time , he was discharged when he was back on his feet and clear of dk , I don't know how to feel about the whole situation and am worried as he was such a happy and energetic little boy but now is a complete shadow of his former self , I know he he's been through a lot and its only early days but I was wondering if other mums had been through the same thing with they re little ones ? Also his glucose levels are still showing really high even though the hospital is reassuring me that this is perfectly normal until they find the right insulin level ? Any advice would be greatly received I am very confused at the moment

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
Re: Worried mum of a newly diagnosed type 1 twenty month old

Sorry I can't be of more help......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEbCW3bBNG8

Sure someone will come along soon.

Have you Googled 'Babies with diabetes Type 1 forum'..... ??

MrsDMiles

Hello
Sorry you had to join us..
Oscar was diagnosed in feb aged 2year and 8month x
There is a lovely group on Facebook

Diabetic mums

Lots if mums with baby's.
Come and join us
Love Danielle x x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

acox75

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiotic people, know it alls who know nothing, lazy home educators!

Hello there! My son was diagnosed at 11 months and went in with possible constipation. He also was in DKA and had to have fluid resuscitation :( He too was in hospital for 5 days and his sugars were very erratic. With them being young too, it is difficult to get the dosage right quickly as it depends on growth and activity too. To cut the story short, he was put on an insulin pump and it has taken up until about a few weeks ago for his sugar levels to stabilize. He was suffering with terrible stranger anxiety and something as simple as going out for breakfast would totally freak him out! Because they go through so much in hospital, I think it is hard for them to trust anyone but this will get better as time goes on. I started taking my son to play and stay sessions and this has really helped him - in that he doesn't think someone is always out to do something to him which is what I think he genuinely felt :( Make sure your son has plenty of cuddles (which I'm sure he does) and reassurance and maybe socialize with him so he starts to feel himself again. Also, I try to stay calm when his bm's are too high or low as I used to panic earlier on and I think they can sense something is wrong. You must stay positive and talk to people if you're feeling down or depressed or feel you can't cope. Someone is always there and always contact your diabetes nurses no matter how silly your question may seem - or ask me!!! I am completely trained in type 1 now :D :D and I'm just glad our boys are ok. It is hard to deal with but it will get easier. We basically thought "right, there's nothing we can do, we just have to deal with it"! It may sound harsh but we had to do it for our boy - he relies on us. And to be fair, we think there are worse things he could have suffered with. Take care.

KobesKrusade

Hello Jane,

My son was diagnosed just over 1 month ago now. He is 17 months old, so just a little bit younger than your little one. He was in DKA and was seriously ill. He was in hospital for 1 week. I chose to stay an extra night because his levels were still a bit erratic and they continued to be for a while after we got home. He also was not quite himself - he use to go to nursery and carers without the blink of an eye and was very happy and social. For the first week and a bit he stuck to me like glue (understandable considering what he had been through and that I was with him constantly in hospital). However, we tried to get things back to normal as soon as we could. I went with him to nursery to start with and gradually backed away. I also let him play with his 'prick-prick' (blood glucose checking equipment) and he now holds his finger out and doesnt mind at all. He is now back to himself. It was really scary and I thought I had lost my happy go lucky little boy for a while - but he is back! I think it is more about your attitude, and I know it is hard but you just have to stay positive and make it as fun and happy as you can, involve your little one as much as possible in their treatment so they can see its not scary, let them hold the equipment and let them pretend they are doing it to you, Kobe loves pricking me finger and pretending to test me. Just remember they take their cues from us and if we see it as a condition that is managable and in no way has to stop them doing anything they want to do then they will be the same. I have a page for my son Kobe on facebook you can have a look and see the recent photos and how happy he is www.facebook.com/KobesKrusade and there are lots of brilliant groups on facebook. I dont know what area you live?

Anyway - It is the worst thing for any parent to find out their child has a chronic illness but the way I got through was learning all I could, speaking to other T1 mums and not letting D take over - I cry sometimes, Im angry sometimes, but we have to get through it for our children and we will and because of D they are going to probably be fitter and healthier than they would have been if we are dedicated to looking after them correctly. If there is anything else I can help you with or you want to talk I am also on facebook Jessica Freeston.

I think in general it does get easier to manage and as the days go on and they forget about their hospital experience and the normality of their life sets in again then they get back to their old selfs (with a lot of love and help from us)

Netty70

Sending my love to all you mums with babies coping with diabetes
I know how scared I was when I was diagnosed so I can't imagine how it must of been for all of you

Your all amazing good luck :)

jowrich1

My 3 year old was diagnosed end Jan 2013 whilst he was 2 yr 10m old. He was in hospital for 5 days as sugars didn't come down quick. He was very clingy when we got home but over the course of a few weeks, he started to return to the childminder, and became his normal happy, outgoing self. It's a huge life changing event for all the family, I took it in my stride (I am a nurse so it was slightly easier to understand and deal with meds etc), my husband was shocked but quickly adjusted, and my eldest boy age 10 has found it the hardest of us all. My little one has a pump which is amazing and he takes all the blood tests and cannula changes in his stride. Your little one will hopefully return to their normal happy self soon. Plenty of reassurance, cuddles, time and play should help. Perhaps ask your diabetic nurse if there is anyone locally with a similar age child, you can meet up with for support?? I have met up with a mum who's newer to this than me and am providing support to her. Good luck, sending hugs x x x

Hannah1987

My little girl was 2.5 when diagnosed but was sent away many times by emergency dr's saying it was viral that I just turned up at my dr's & demanded to see my gp only - soon as he saw her she went straight onto oxygen & finger prick confirmed bg's of 39 & Ketones 6.8! Trip up hospital via paramedics & straight to PICU for 3days on drip for insulin & catheter & nil by mouth then ward for a few days. The bg's will be higher for a while as it is dangerous to bring them down quickly. My lg was very energetic before but by diagnosed she had gone from 18.5kg down to 13.9 & energy was zapped just walking through the house to the loo! Within a month of being home she was her happy energetic self & nothing was stopping her =) he will still feel poorly for a while as it drains them that much & they lose perspective of life when higher - my 4yr old says things are "whizzing by" when she is high so she feels confused as everything is fast around her & says "she is slow" even though she is bouncing about herself. It does take time to find right fast-acting ratio's to carbs, right correction dose & right long-lasting dose. I was worried for quite a while after as her readings were & still are quite erratic with no pattern to it at all. I did learn that once she felt better in herself she was able to do everything she wanted to without worry & happy again - just us who worry how everything will affect them. Having a newborn within 6months I had other things t think about rather than worry constantly about my lg. Stay calm & know that there are other's in the same situation. The fb group mentioned above is brilliant too for support & advice =) take one day at a time & things will come together =) my lg still isn't stable & in middle of changing meds to find right insulin for her - but all i think of now is that she is happy & healthy as still running about able to have fun so that's what matters to me =) the rest will come in time - growth & illness does affect them so things will constantly change but the kids diabetic community teams are brilliant & only a phone call away =)

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.

My son was 8 months at dx. The first year is very hard to adjust for the whole family. At the start kids often go into a honeymoon period so your medical team will mostly keep blood sugar levels higher during this time in case the pancreas has a rest and recovers for short bursts producing insulin. If it happens it may or may not last any length of time but it is always better to be cautious and not be trying to get back to lower levels too quickly. Slow changes are always the way to go with levels. Even after 6 years my son still has some off days and high levels and other times seems to be a little too close to hypo. I stuff up how much insulin to give him with meals sometimes too. No day is ever the same but I trust my instincts and things have fallen into place. Just take it slow and eventually you will know how to make those adjustments to get good levels and live life to the full. Our kids live in an era that they can eat anything and do just about everything with T1. We are also lucky to have technology making advances to help us.

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.

Hi Jane.

I was diagnosed later in life with type one. I have a friend who was diagnosed as a baby. Guess which of us has a better handle on it? Yes, it's him. So, silver lining, your baby won't know anything different as they get older. Chances are greater the baby will understand their diabetes better as an adult. It's not always the case, granted, but it often is.

Manda3

Hi, I know it's a couple of months since you posted and hope things have settled down a little. I'm mother to Jonathan who is now 22 months and was diagnosed with T1 on his first birthday. Again DKA and a week in hospital. It was a nightmare and I really appreciate what you're going through. It took a good few months for his bloods to settle down and he was always running high. Due to the fact we could only administer a min of 0.5 on the injections we always took the cautious route as terrified of hypos and as a result BG always high. We moved to a pump a few months ago and even after a rocky start I would never go back to injections as its so much easier to control BG once you've got used to The pump. The other big plus is that you don't need to restrict carb intake or snacks as you just provide enough insulin for each time he eats. I would highly recommend a pump on tots the age of our boys. I promise you it does get better. I still get upset, tired and frustrated but when I look at Jonathan now compared to first diagnosis he's above average height, chubby and such a happy normal little boy. Your son will be there also in a few months . Stay positive and strong.