Ketones levels

Agnnessa

Hello,

I've been following low carb diet for last two weeks and my blood sugars have been getting more stable each day, staying around 5. Yay :))

I have checked my ketones levels and it is on a rise, and now it is 2.2. I'm worried as I had DKA 2 months ago and wouldn't want to end up back in the hospital.

Does anyone know what are the normal ketones levels whilst low carbing??
Also, if it is too high, what do you do to bring it down?

Agnnessa

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agnnessa said:
Hello,

I've been following low carb diet for last two weeks and my blood sugars have been getting more stable each day, staying around 5. Yay :))

I have checked my ketones levels and it is on a rise, and now it is 2.2. I'm worried as I had DKA 2 months ago and wouldn't want to end up back in the hospital.

Does anyone know what are the normal ketones levels whilst low carbing??
Also, if it is too high, what do you do to bring it down?

Agnnessa

Look at http://www.dietdoctor.com/a-new-toy-mea ... od-ketones

It isn't in relation to diabetes but just about low carb.

When low carbing (depending on how low) you will get ketones because in the absence of carbs as fuel for the body you break down fat and a byproduct of this is producing ketones (I hope I've rembered that accurately).
So as I'm less than 30g a day I too will have ketones. That's fine as long as much bloods are not high (mine usually hover around 4-6). DKA will happen when ketones are present AND sugars are high.

Just make sure you are monitoring your sugar levels very carefully.

Have you read Dr Bernsteins diabetes solution? That's all about low carbing & other diabetes advice too. He's been low carbing for more than 20 years and is a type 1 diabetic.

Hope that helps
Patch13

Agnnessa

Thank you Patch, for your reply and information provided. It have obtained very helpful information.

I have ordered the book but it hasn't arrived yet. I've been consuming around 30g of carbs a day, but as I only have diabetes for just two months I am still short of knowledge.. Will get there eventually :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App