Insuline-Weight isues

RattanF

Ive been a diabetic for majority of my life now, and being a type 1 through my childhood and teen years, iv naturally struggled with my weight. I'm not over weight but Iv just been told that my insulin is the cause of my weight changes. Does anyone know how to reduce the weight issues. I do gym but now due to some issues its difficult for me to get there.

Thanks R x

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I have moved your post to the Type 1 area of the forum. Perhaps some of our Type 1 users would be well placed to give you some advice.

Regards

Doug

Pepsi Max

Hi, I'm type 1 also & find it hard to lose weight. I'm just talking about 10lbs or so. I follow a low carb diet, although I haven't lost anything on it I do feel better, not bloated etc & have more energy! Losing weight while using insulin is like swimming against the tide! But stay on the forums there is some good advice...

Diabetic warrior since 2005!

Lady_luce_x

I've been diabetic since I was 6, im 22 now. I would say I have struggled with my weight for the last 5 years maybe? Not like serious, but im more cuddly than I'd like to be! Currently I'm at my heaviest, and feel a bit bleugh about the prospect of trying to get it down. I'm trying harder to low carb and exercise more, but its an ongoing battle with the insulin. Doable though :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Rattan
I'm not a T1 or an insulin user, just a campaigner married to a T1. He too has weight issues. We went to "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution".This book certanly helped. it hasn't solved all the weight issues, but things are looking up.
Hana

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Doctors who know less about diabetes and endocrinology than their patients.
Hi,
Yes insulin therapy can be problematic in terms of weight gain. It's mainly because insulin is what in the medical terminology is called an agent which decreased lipolysis (stops fat cells being turned into energy). It also acts in general as a transport hormone so it will transport the proteins and sugars into cells for use or storage.

The only effective way I have found to counter the weight gain effects is to exercise, the more intense the better and to be careful what I eat. I tend not to follow the whole low carb diet simply because I don't see it as being healthy we need carbs, but instead I am careful when I eat them. Carbs tend to be on the menu for me either at lunchtime or before I go to the gym, in the evenings I have a protein rich meal with vegies.

The other thing to watch out for is stress, it releases cortisol (as do hypos and hypers) which then get stored as body fat.

Keeping the insulin to the minimum needed should also help but whatever you do don't run into hypers they are a nightmare when looking after your waist line.

Diabtes is all about managing the hormonal balance in our bodies not just the sugar levels in our blood. So far I've had type 1 for near 32yrs now and am still at the 31-32 inch waist so it can be done but does involve a lot of work.

Hope that helps,
Frankie

Sabantha

Weight watchers!! For me I have the best control and lose weight when following weight watchers pro points. Choosing sensible carbs whilst doing low carbs is also key. Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

RattanF

Hey guys! Thanks for the reply..bit of comfort for knowing that im not the only one with this issue. The problem with the low carb diet or me is that im a strict veg! I obv have plenty of vegetables in my diet but there is hardly any choice in low carb or carb free meals. I do go gym on a regular basis however, it still seems to pile on quicker compared to the weight falling off! Annoying lol! I did one point however manage to go down from a size 12 to a 6 which took me 2 years but that was at the expense of me neglecting my insulin which was rather silly. I am not a size 8 border 10 and just find it really annoyingly difficult.