cataract operation

paula1974

Hi I had an appointment at the eye hospital today and am going to have an operation for cataract removal soon, first one eye and the other later. I have worn glasses for distance since I was young and for reading only recently. How long after the op will it be before I can drive? Do I have to wait til both eyes are done (I have been advised not to change glasses til both done). If I can drive after the first op, how long do I have to wait?
The reason I ask is that I am disabled and rely on my car. If I can't drive, I am housebound and this scares me. I cannot rely on other people to drive me.
Thank you in advance, Paula x

paula1974

Thank you very much. But usually how long does it take after the op for you to be able to drive. My friend said he could drive the next day, but I'm not so sure x

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my second eye done last Monday. It was a bit blurry until Wednesday morning when I woke up and it was 'pin sharp' (no glasses required for long distance :) I felt a little bit giddy with this new focus on Wednesday and Thursday but today (Friday) I would be quite happy to drive.

When I had the first eye done, I remember it being sharp the day after surgery so I don't think anyone can say for sure - it's an individual thing.

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Depends on how the operation goes. Hubby had one of his done a couple of years ago. But he had complications
He got inflammation at the back of his eye and had to use steroid drops. The drops were used for too long and caused further damage. He's fine now. Just something be aware of.
In theory you should be fine by the next day, well a couple of days at least.
Hubby was unaware that they fitted an ultra violet ??? lens. So his night time vision isn't as sharp. Everything has a tinge to it.
You can request a clear lens. Just something to ask the consultant about and do a bit of research.
Good luck and your vision will improve immensely.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App