Lastchanceforhelp.com

suehat

Hello all I'm type 1 and appear to be reasonably well controlled on a day to day basis and normally lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle! I'm off on a holiday which will include lots of walking every day. On previous holidays I have tended to spend a lot of time going hypo or rebounding with sky high blood sugars.
Has anyone got any tips on how to stay more stable, should I cut insulin (I'm on novo rapid before meals and levermir am & pm) and if so which one :-/ ? Or any advice on the best foods to eat to keep my sugars stable. I'll be grateful for any help. Please!

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
When I do lots of walking I cut my background insulin (levimer for me) by two units from 16 to 14 because I often go low at night otherwise.
I also reduce my quick acting insulin (novo rapid) but 20%. But I still have hypo problems, so I think it needs to be more.

What I would say is this: my diabetic nurse told me that you can always give more insulin, but you can't take it away. Give yourself less novo rapid, definitely. And the only real way to do it is by trial and error. If you go low one day give yourself less the next. Keep testing. Best of luck.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

suehat

amberzak said:
When I do lots of walking I cut my background insulin (levimer for me) by two units from 16 to 14 because I often go low at night otherwise.
I also reduce my quick acting insulin (novo rapid) but 20%. But I still have hypo problems, so I think it needs to be more.

What I would say is this: my diabetic nurse told me that you can always give more insulin, but you can't take it away. Give yourself less novo rapid, definitely. And the only real way to do it is by trial and error. If you go low one day give yourself less the next. Keep testing. Best of luck.

Thank you that makes sense,
what do you usually eat for breakfast before you go, never sure whether to load up with carbs or totally avoid them?

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have slow release carbs. Something like portage (I know it's really a winter breakfast). But sometimes if I wake up low I have something a little more quick release like Rice Krispies.

Keep some jelly babies or skittles on you just in case.

suehat

Thanks I'll look for a alternative to porridge as they don't have it, the trouble is not knowing the carb/ sugar content whilst abroad.

I love the jelly baby idea though!

Thanks

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes, I know what you mean.

Do you have an iPhone? There are some good apps that have lists of carbs in food.

Bananas a good to eat for breakfast. Are you a fruit eater?

suehat

Yes I've got carbs and cals on my phone but breakfast is usually laid out without any labels and whilst cornflakes is kind of generic , muesli can be loaded with sugar

I do like bananas although they tend to make me quite high.....but there again .... I can walk it off

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yep. Bananas are good when you are walking.

I love the carbs and cals app as it has pictures to help. But it's still a guessing game really. Let us know how you get on. When are you leaving?

suehat

I'm off today!

My plan is to keep as stable as possible, to try and resist the apple strudel and ice cream every day, so I might even lose weight with all the walking rather than putting it on ......doubtful!

I'll let you know.