A little advice on morning testing please

ChrisOT61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I tried to find Hovis nimble bread as I thought it may be lower in carbs. But I could only find Tescos own Danish white bread which I think was 9g per slice. I have since changed to burgen soy and linseed bread as its got more fibre in it. What I really miss is soft boiled eggs and soldiers! Lol I am trying to stick to no more than two slices of bread a day and no pasta or rice. I am going to try cauliflower rice to see what that is like as I do like a nice homemade curry. Today I had a oatsosimple for breakfast, two slices of cheese on toast with tomato on top for lunch and then chicken filled with lightest Philadelphia and baby tomatoes and sugar snaps for dinner. My BS was 7.4 before my dinner and 7.5 two hours later. Neither reading is good is it but it doesn't seem to have gone up much since I last ate. What does this mean?
Sorry if I am being stupid but I am having trouble getting my head round these readings and what it all means! I don't have an appt to see a diabetic nurse until 30th August so am really thrashing around in the ark to some extent!
Chris x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Chris, stop beating yourself up. Those numbers may be a little high but certainly not too bad. Your changes in diet so far have been good. Nothing wrong with boiled eggs, just ditch the soldiers lol ! You have done well. Yes, you can improve but you could certainly
do a lot worse. What were your figures previous to this ? Can/do you exercise ? These things don't happen overnight, small changes in lifestyle bring slow results but you are more likely to stick with them.

Shzz46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who try to tell me what to do
Can anyone tell me how you make this cauliflower rice

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
wash the cauli then boil it until its just going soft the put it in a colinder and squeeze it with a small bowl to dry it out then blend it until its kinda rice like at this point you can leave it in the blender add 60ml of double cream blend it a lttle then put it back in the saucepan add 60g of cream cheese (full fat of course) and add cheese to taste ( i add cheddar and parmesan) and cook on a low heat this is cauliflower mash and an awesome mash potato substitute or stop before you add the cream to the blender and that is cauliflower rice i personally dont love the rice so i heavily season it and add some coconut if having it with curry, im sure there are other and probly better recipes try looking through the recipe thread in the low carb diet section of the forum or google cauliflower rice, hope that helps :)

ChrisOT61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found a short video on how to make cauliflower rice which said to put the cauliflower florets in a food processor uncooked and process them until they resemble rice. Then put them in a microwave dish and cover. do not put any water in them and microwave them for 4 - 5 minutes and thats it.
I havent tried this yet. Has anyone else cooked it this way rather than cook the cauliflower first? I would think its a bit difficult to turn it into grains of "rice" once its cooked and soft?
I have tried cauliflower mash which was quite tasty.

Chris x

ChrisOT61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
mo1905...
" Nothing wrong with boiled eggs, just ditch the soldiers lol !"

How can you have boiled eggs without the soldiers? :shock: What would you use the soak up all the yummy egg yolk? lol :problem:

Chris x

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
mo1905 said:
Chris, stop beating yourself up.

I second that. You have numbers that many dream of achieving. They will come down the more you learn about food and you haven't got very far to go.

Netty70

ChrisOT61 said:
mo1905...

How can you have boiled eggs without the soldiers? :shock: What would you use the soak up all the yummy egg yolk? lol :problem:

Chris x

You can still have soldiers well I do lol

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Netty70 said:
ChrisOT61 said:
mo1905...

Chris x

so do I lol ! It's easier to give advice than to take it haha ;-)

Netty70

mo1905 said:
Netty70 said:
ChrisOT61 said:
mo1905...

Chris x

so do I lol ! It's easier to give advice than to take it haha ;-)

Hahaha too right :):):)

ChrisOT61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I tried making the cauliflower rice and microwaved it after it was a rice like consistency. It was okay but not like proper rice! :(
I hen tried making a cauliflower veggie pizza! The cauliflower base was a bit of a disaster! I think I didn't dry the cauliflower out enough although I tried my best! Then I spread it too thinly on the parchment paper! My husband liked it though but I couldn't eat it, it was horrible!
Oh well, back to the drawing board. I did notice that my figures were lower today. 6.0 first thing, had two boiled eggs with burgen bread soldiers! :)))) two hours later it was 6.5. I had two haddock fish cakes for lunch with salad and my bs later on was 5.8. I have done 20 minutes brisk walking on the treadmill this afternoon so maybe that helped?
Chris x

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Try Quinoa as a substitute for rice with your curry. It taste a bit like whole grain rice and couscous. I've just changed over to it and find it delicious.
Just rinse quinoa under the tap. Then add twice the amount of water. Simmer for 10 minutes. Then put lid on and leave another 5 minutes till all liquid is absorbed.
It is nice cold too with some mixed salad beans or as a 'rice' salad.
I bought mine from Holland and Barratt. £2.50 for a small bag, but goes a long way. Also available in Asda. It's pronounced Keen wah

ChrisOT61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I did look at quinoa in holland and Barrett but it did seem quite high in carbs. I can't remember the actual figure or if it was higher or lower than rice but I did decide not to try it.
I haven't tried cauliflower rice with curry yet so will try that before I make a judgement. I have bought some almond flour and am going to try making a pizza base from that to see what it's like.
Chris x