zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Hey folks.
I care for an elderly and arthritic parent full time, as such I don't get much time to myself for exercising until she has gone to bed. I am concerned that I don't get enough exercise so I was thinking of getting one of those wee steppers and maybe using it for half an hour per night at first, then building it up.

I was just wondering if anyone has used these before, considering that we don't have much room in the flat I could stash this away during the day then use it at night.

I was thinking something like this stepper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrafit-SU...TF8&colid=3MFLB2KHWNKEC&coliid=I113642ZEXBYYR

What do you think?

Mark

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
It looks a bit gimmicky to me. If you have a Ben Dunne gym close to you, membership is only £11 per month, with no contract.
Plus the gym isn't full of fit body builders. I have joined my local Ben Dunne. Really enjoying exercising.
http://www.bendunnegyms.com/england.aspx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
cocacola said:
It looks a bit gimmicky to me. If you have a Ben Dunne gym close to you, membership is only £11 per month, with no contract.
Plus the gym isn't full of fit body builders. I have joined my local Ben Dunne. Really enjoying exercising.
http://www.bendunnegyms.com/england.aspx

Problem is with gyms etc is that I would need someone to sit with mum while I went, also we live in a wee village. I would love to visit a gym but its impossible right now unfortunately. Thanks for your reply thought :)

Mark

Hobbit62

Hello Mark, :D

I bought this model of stepper roughly 5 months ago - It's a good sturdy machine for the money, if you can keep your balance. I ended up having to put mine behind the setee so that i could hold on to it while I used the stepper. :lol: I suffer with knee problems and need to make sure I exercise my knee joints regularly or they get very stiff and painful, but I'm afraid I found the stepper to harsh. I stopped using it after a couple of months and bought myself a Cross Trainer istead, which is much better for me. So my Stepper is under the stairs now and destined for the charity shop, pity you don;t live in North Wales, I would gladly pass it on to you, and save you a bit of cash. :D

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Thanks hobbit, it would have been handy. Although thinking about it, I wonder if it would be much different from using something like a couple of free argos catalogues as a step :lol:

Thanks for the advice folks.

Mark

Bluebell13

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I use one of those exercise steps and do so many minutes on each leg. I find I stick to this regime as it is so easy to just pick up the step and do it anywhere, anytime. I have bought various gadgets over the years but find this just as useful for what I want. Simple but it works.

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
I was joking about the argos catalogues, but the idea about the step is appealing. Will look into this futher.

Mark

Netty70

Hey mark
How about an exercise DVD
Cheaper you don't have to find somewhere to put it plus it would be an all over workout
Worth looking into and maybe mum could cheer you on :)
Good luck

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Netty70 said:
Hey mark
How about an exercise DVD
Cheaper you don't have to find somewhere to put it plus it would be an all over workout
Worth looking into and maybe mum could cheer you on :)
Good luck

Probably give her a good laugh :p