Has any insulin pump user seen the view from the Shard?

Jo4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My husband & I were contemplating going to see the view from the Shard next month but I was reading the visitor information and I noticed the following "To ensure visitors’ safety within The View you will be required to pass through an electronic body scan and will have any baggage or personal items scanned before entry. CCTV and other audio and visual recording may be undertaken for the safety and security of visitors and staff.".

I also noticed on the website "Travelling skyward in two high-speed ‘kaleidoscopic’ lifts, you’ll swiftly reach Level 68 - a cloudscape above the world." and I wonder if either of these will damage my pump?

When I emailed my diabetes nurse she said "It is recommended that you inform the guard you are wearing Pump... and they should let you either disconnect and pass it through manually or else .. let you pass through without entering body scanner..and search you manually".

However when I contacted the View from The Shard I got the following response,

"Dear Mrs XXXX,

Thank you for your email to The View from The Shard.

In response to your query, We ask guests to walk through metal detectors, which use a low-frequency electromagnetic field to look for metal items (primarily weapons). Anything that generates or uses electricity, such as power lines or household appliances, produces an electromagnetic field. At the low levels a metal detector emits, this exposure is considered safe for everyone. (The same holds true for the wands that our team may use to pass over individual guests.) These units do not use x-rays.

The x-ray scanners that bags and coats go through are fully enclosed and so will not affect guests in any way. These units emit the same kind of radiation as in a dental X-ray and are used only on bags, coats and other inanimate objects. A guest would have to place their hand inside the machine while the X-ray was on to be exposed to a significant level of radiation.

Unfortunately, we do not have public access to stairs apart from fire exit stairs to access the view and all the lifts are high speed lifts.

ENQUIRIES | THE VIEW FROM THE SHARD
t: +44 (0) 203 102 1222"

Does anyone know if my pump will get damaged if I was to go through the electronic body scanner or if I used the high-speed ‘kaleidoscopic’ lifts?

BobCornelius

Hi,

I'm not a pump user (yet), but I would assume the electromagnetic scanner is similar to those used in shops and supermarkets, and so is unlikely to damage your pump! It would definitely be wise to explain pump to the security people, even show them if possible!

High speed lifts, in my opinion if they are safe for people to stand in, must also be safe for pumping kit? Worth an email to the pump manufacturer or rep?

:)

Bob

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can go through metal detectors at the but not the new super duper body scanners. I leave my pump attached when going through a metal detector but I declare I am wearing it and have a medical note with me too (provided by my DN).
Provided that the body scanner thing they are talking about is just like a metal detector you would find at the airport (sounds like it is) then your pump should be fine.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App