When do you inject?

Maple

I had lunch with a fellow diabetic today who told me he injects before meals. I usually figure out what I'm going to eat, do the ol' carb counting then inject afterwards. I've heard of people who inject mid meal as well. Is there a 'best approach', does metabolism factor in or what the meal is your eating?

Cheers,

Andrew

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I think it depends on what sort of carbs, low or high GI. High GI foods, white bread etc, break down quickly which can cause "spikes" in blood sugars. For this type of food, better to inject 15mins or so prior to eating to try to counteract the spike. I think I was advised to inject just before eating where possible as a general rule though.

Pearsall85

Depends what Im eating, if im eating wholemeal foods or fatty foods I will inject after I eat but if Im going to have a meal that is going to elevate my levels quickly then 10mins or so prior to eating.

Stu.

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It depends on the food you eat, on your blood sugar level, on how fast insulin works in your body and how slow or fast your body digest food. When I was using insulin pens I used to inject soon after or sometimes I used to split the dose half before eating and half soon after. Now I have an insulin pump and it is definitely much easier as I can decide all this just pressing a button.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think its trial & error, rigorously testing of your bg after eating will tell you the best approach to injecting.

More often than enough I'll inject 10-15 mins before eating as it gives the insulin a head start, however if the meal has a high fat content I will inject before or even split the dose to get the best possible postprandial bg readings, the one time I won't inject in advance is when I'm eating out in an unfamiliar restaurant, I like to see and count the carbs on my plate before injecting, also delays in the food arriving can catch you out if you're not careful.

Maple

Thanks everyone. I have a bit of a slow metabolism so I'm going to try a split dose (post meal BG can be in the low teens which I'm trying to combat)

kyleo

i get lower readings if i inject 20-30 mins before. if you want to speed up insulin ive been told you can rub/massage where you have injected as it increases blood flow.

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
I spike after meals so should inject before. But because I would inject, then eat, then not eat as much as I thought I would, I kept going low. I'm really weird in that I think I'm hungry, but then realise I'm not.

Because of this my diabetic nurse said to inject after I've eaten so I know exactly how much carbs I've eaten.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I was told by my dsn that anywhere between 10mins before and 10 mins after the meal

If im at work i,tend to inject after the meal incase i get disturbed during the meal, other times i tend to inject before the meal..

As for eating out, i dont think i have eaten out since being diagnosed

H

Hooked

With normal blood to low BG levels I eat, count carbs as I go, then inject straight afterwards. With high BG levels I decide what I'm eating and inject beforehand.

Having been diagnosed back in the days when you had to inject half an hour before eating twice a day, it's a revelation to me to be able to inject immediately afterwards; giving me the freedom to leave some carbs on my plate, or go for second helpings. rather than sticking to a set amount. I love it!

BobCornelius

I count carbs then inject! We generally eat out once a week, in restaurants I count each course and inject for each, again afterwards! I sometimes get it wrong, but then it's not a precise science!

:)

Bob