How much weight loss makes a difference?

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hello Everyone

I have 6 stones to lose, 84lbs! I read somewhere that a 10% weight loss brought health benefits. So for me, 8lbs. Which doesn't sound like much (good).
I'd love to hear other peoples experiences on the benefits of weight loss as motivation for my diet.

Thanks.

ChrisOT61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think that means 10% of your body weight but I may be wrong. I have lost a stone so far and I have 5 stone to lose ( six stones in total) I don't really feel any different although my BS is slightly lower than it was before. I think it will be a while and quite a bit more weight lost before I really feel and see a difference but every little helps!
Chris x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Of course 10% of starting weight. :oops: Silly me. I knew the 8lbs for me sounded too good to be true, thanks Chris.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I think 10% is supposed to have a major effect on your organs but it only takes 1% to have a major effect on your morale :)

Good luck!

Type2_2000

Hi guys! Well done on the weight loss. I'm in a similar situation. I need to loose about 6 stones to begin with! Since April I've lost 17kgs which I'm very happy about, but I've got a long way to go! My problem is that currently my weight has been stuck at the same point for a couple of eerks and I don't seem to be loosing any more (at least I'm not putting it back on). I've got to try harder with diet and exercise. I was always told that the first bit of weight would come off quickly but that then it would then get harder. I guess this is now the real test of my resolve to loose weight - wish me luck!

The positives are that my diabetic control is much better - lower numbers and more stable too. Also my BP is improved to the point where I've had some of my medication reduced.

Netty70

Type2_2000 said:
Hi guys! Well done on the weight loss. I'm in a similar situation. I need to loose about 6 stones to begin with! Since April I've lost 17kgs which I'm very happy about, but I've got a long way to go! My problem is that currently my weight has been stuck at the same point for a couple of eerks and I don't seem to be loosing any more (at least I'm not putting it back on). I've got to try harder with diet and exercise. I was always told that the first bit of weight would come off quickly but that then it would then get harder. I guess this is now the real test of my resolve to loose weight - wish me luck!

The positives are that my diabetic control is much better - lower numbers and more stable too. Also my BP is improved to the point where I've had some of my medication reduced.

Good luck
Don't give up
Try writing down everything you eat and try and do lots of exercise it really helps
Well done so far :)