Odd readings

sarah1282

Hi all. Im getting really fed up as soon as I think ive got it all under control something new pops up to drive me crazy. I carb count my dsn told me im 1 unit to every 10g but 2 hours after I eat I test and my sugars would be high. Eg 5.4 before eating 8.4 2 hours after but then 1 hour later (3 hours after injecting) I will hypo? Im so confused. The last 2 weeks at work I have hypoed at least twice a day. I really need advice

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
When you test 2 hours after eating and get a reading of 8, do you then inject more insulin as a correction dose? If you do, that might explain why you are going low?

sarah1282

Bruno this is the really odd thing im fine on the weekend but during the week I work and im getting to the point where im scared to go to work cos of this.

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
sarah1282 said:
Hi amber no I have never done a correction as I was told not to do one until you have been 48 hours free from hypo which sadly I never have

I have never heard that before. Weird.

Okay, the only thing that I can think of is that the insulin is taking slightly longer to work. So you eat, the insulin hasn't started working yet and your sugars start to rise. Then, the insulin works and they fall. What type of insulin are you on? And when do you inject? Before? After? By how long.

Also, do you carb count? In which case what is your carb to insulin ratio?

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Agree with this poster. If I am eating something fatty like pizza or chip shop food, because the fat slows the carbs, I have to Inject half an hour before I eat. It's the only time I inject before. And I split the dose, so I Inject three quarters of it before I eat and then the last quarter 10 minutes after I eat. That might help.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Sarah,

I get odd readings all the time - with greater understanding you can actually work out why..

Firstly testing after 2 hours will give you a high reading - why do you do this ? Your quick acting takes up to 4 hours to leave your system, at 2 hours after eating your BG will at it's peak so taking more insulin at this point is dangerous as you will go low - then have to over compensate by taking more insulin so you will be going high and low and playing catch up all the time - avoid the temptation to test until you next eat, then take your correction with your insulin requirement for that meal.

There are lots of variables as to why we run high and low - insulin resistance due to hormones, stress, incorrect calculation of carb ratios, heat, exercise etc, lumps at injections sites, insulin that's gone off, time it takes for insulin to work with the carbs. Taking insulin before meal times is advisable as it's already in your system and working by the time your food hits your stomach.

Personally I dont test unless i'm driving or until before my meal and I take action only then or before bedtime.

I always seem to be advocating it and believe every type 1 should read it to know more and manage their diabetes better but Dr Bernsteins book has been a great wealth of knowledge for anyone who doesn't want to live with complications and have a better life should read it.

:thumbup: