How long have you had your bg meter & pens?

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

It was brought to my attention last week by my dsn that the lifespan of a blood glucose meter is 5 years max, after which time you should be given a replacement. I didn't know this and have been using mine for nearly 10 years, as well as using old novopen 3 injectors, which again are probably 10 years old.

While at an appointment with my dietician, we were calculating the ratio of insulin/carbs and mine was really high. She was surprised by this and said I'm taking about twice as much insulin as most other diabetics.

Anyway, I've been using the new bg meter and novopen 4 for a couple of days and have reduced my insulin dose by just 2 units at each meal (to start with) - my bg has not been above 4mmol for the last 2 days! This is bad - it's usually 7-9mmol. I seriously think that (a) my novopens were not giving the dose dialled up and/or (b) my bg readings were nowhere near accurate.

How frightening - I shall be tentatively reducing my dosage even more over the next couple of weeks. Has anyone else come across this before?

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My old meters were at least 8 years old before I changed them. A control solution test using the same solution drop and same batch of strips showed 2 meters were fairly close to each other and the spare was quite a bit out with the other 2. Though all were within limits of the control test.

The new meters are pretty well close to each other, though did not use the same batch of test strips and the readings were around the centre of the test strip range for the control solution.

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Re: How long have you had your bg meter & pens?

I recently got a meter for free from my Asda pharmacy. Someone had run out of strips, so they gave the pot strips away and I got a new meter.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tend to change fairly regular because of new features etc. I also changed to novoflex pens as my DSN saw me drop my novo pen and said that could damage it.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get mine on prescription, There are no freebies and they are relatively expensive ( most have a recommended price of 73.22€ which is the official price but since they stopped strips for most T2s, you can buy them for 40-60€ ) You are allowed a new meter every 4 years and a new finger pricker every year, the manufacturer has to guarantee them for that long.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Both changed in the last 6-9 months, replaced Novopen 4 for the Novopen Echo and changed from the Contour USB meter to the Contour USB Next.

Roberto

Was going to start a new topic but since there is a meter one already.....

Anyone having issues with their xceed? Just tested pre lunch, 3.6, odd didn't feel hypo, tested to make sure, 13.6.....and again 5.4.

Feel a bit bad wasting 3 strips but that's a incredible swing? I'm away home for my lunch so will test again when I get home,.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Roberto said:
Was going to start a new topic but since there is a meter one already.....

Anyone having issues with their xceed? Just tested pre lunch, 3.6, odd didn't feel hypo, tested to make sure, 13.6.....and again 5.4.

Feel a bit bad wasting 3 strips but that's a incredible swing? I'm away home for my lunch so will test again when I get home,.

I don't have that meter.... But I'd say something is going wrong lol were your hands very clean? Were the test strips out of date?

Roberto

Ive got anti bacterial hand wash at my desk which I always use before testing, only got strips last week so surely can't be that!

Tested on my home meter just now and was 5.5!

Think ill need a new meter for work then..

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Roberto said:
Ive got anti bacterial hand wash at my desk which I always use before testing, only got strips last week so surely can't be that!

Tested on my home meter just now and was 5.5!

Think ill need a new meter for work then..

Do you have the control solution to test with?

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you ring Abbott Medisense (free phone number) they will send you a test control solution for free, with Abbott they send two test solutions a high and low and the results should be within the limits as shown on the test strip pot. You will have to use 2 test strips to check the meter. If you also explain the problem you might find they will send you a free replacement meter.